82 year old carnivore rancher looks 45!!?

Nebula

Bet you she also eats starch like a normal person. She’s just lived an active outdoor lifestyle which is very good for low cortisol if it’s not too hard on the body. I can feel my cortisol drop like a rock on the days I spend outdoors in a natural setting. Starch and ruminant meat is a great diet for many people and what most cultures have always eaten far back into prehistoric times.

Well I guess not. She claims everywhere to not be eating carbs. Starch + beef and being outdoors is still my preferred diet and lifestyle though.

Last edited:

Dapose

Forum Supporter
She’s a Canadian farmer, so Dr Baker is trying to convince us she doesn’t eat a gallon of maple syrup a year? Hundreds of eggs and gallons of milk? This farmer girl never touches honey or fall apples or spring blueberries? Carnivore means just ribeyes right?

Jennifer

She’s a Canadian farmer, so Dr Baker is trying to convince us she doesn’t eat a gallon of maple syrup a year? Hundreds of eggs and gallons of milk? This farmer girl never touches honey or fall apples or spring blueberries? Carnivore means just ribeyes right?

Dr. Baker or Maggie herself? She talks about her dietary choices in the video I posted.

Dutchie

Carnivore means just ribeyes right?
Nope....eggs and dairy come from an animal as well, so they're carnivore too. (technically even honey).
There are so many shades of carnivore....it's just that many choose to stick to only meat due to intolerances or other reasons.

DennisX

A sample size of one. Who knows what she ate or meds taken during her 82 years. As a matter of fact do we even know she's 82 years old. Where's a copy of her birth certificate.

P

Peatress

I watched the interview of this lady talking about her life when Jennifer first posted it. I was impressed. She looks amazing but what was even more impressive was the life she described – a life in nature, hunting her own food, and raising her children. Her life sounded pretty toxin free. She was far away from the medical industrial complex too – she didn’t need them. I doubt that anyone can replicate this anywhere in the world today because of so much pollution – especially now we have active world-wide chemical spraying.

I think a city girl trying to replicate a carnivore diet with supermarket meat and chemical ripened fruit would have serious issues.

I haven’t even mentioned radiation. I hope she writes about her life in more detail one day. A book of that nature would sell well.

ATP

Brain does not require glucose. The energy need of CNS can be met with ketone bodies. The ability to generate ketone bodies, "ketogenesis," is adaptive over a period of weeks. Hypoglycemia is often the result of hyperglycemia and insulin dysfunction\resistance.
The carb loading fad beginning in the 1960s had to do with glycogen repletion to higher than usual levels. Even so, the amount of glycogen\carbs stored in muscle (5% ballpark) and liver would not begin to approach the energy to run a marathon.
The brain can use ketone bodies as a substrate for ATP synthesis. However, the lack of glucose will slow cellular respiration and the brain will always use some glucose from glucogenic aminos and lactate.

Jennifer

ATP

Hi @Dapose, the video is in this link:

Does she say what she actually eats?

Nicole W.

I’m skeptical. If these are her kids, then they are far too young to be the children of an 82 year old. She said in the video she lost her first baby when she got together with her cowboy husband as a late teenager. Then subsequently had 3 more children. So either these people standing next to her are her grandkids or something is fishy.
Her kids should technically be approaching 60 by now. How many near 60 year olds look like that woman on the right (assuming she is Maggie’s daughter)?
I’m guessing she is 65 and tacked on a 15 years to impress people with her amazing health and appearance. From the video I gather that she is quite political and motivated to encourage people to eat more meat to save the ranching industry.

Jennifer

Does she say what she actually eats?

I’d have to watch the video again because it has been a while, but I recall her saying she has always disliked vegetables, but willingly ate and still eats lots of butter and meat—beef, venison etc. She had a dairy cow while her children were growing up and made her own butter from the milk and gave her kids whole milk and I think she mentioned recently experimenting with coffee so she does technically consume plants, IMO, but one that I’ve often seen many in the carnivore community consuming so it’s seems to me that for whatever reason, it’s one plant they don’t consider toxic.

I’m skeptical. If these are her kids, then they are far too young to be the children of an 82 year old. She said in the video she lost her first baby when she got together with her cowboy husband as a late teenager. Then subsequently had 3 more children. So either these people standing next to her are her grandkids or something is fishy.
Her kids should technically be approaching 60 by now. How many near 60 year olds look like that woman on the right (assuming she is Maggie’s daughter)?
I’m guessing she is 65 and tacked on a 15 years to impress people with her amazing health and appearance. From the video I gather that she is quite political and motivated to encourage people to eat more meat to save the ranching industry.

The younger man and woman standing next to Maggie is Dr. Anthony Chaffee who interviewed her in the video and I’m almost certain his girlfriend because I watched a few of his videos and in one he interviewed her.

Nicole W.

I’d have to watch the video again because it has been a while, but I recall her saying she has always disliked vegetables, but willingly ate and still eats lots of butter and meat—beef, venison etc. She had a dairy cow while her children were growing up and made her own butter from the milk and gave her kids whole milk and I think she mentioned recently experimenting with coffee so she does technically consume plants, IMO, but one that I’ve often seen many in the carnivore community consuming so it’s seems to me that for whatever reason, it’s one plant they don’t consider toxic.

The younger man and woman standing next to Maggie is Dr. Anthony Chaffee who interviewed her in the video and I’m almost certain his girlfriend because I watched a few of his videos and in one he interviewed her.
Oh ok, gotcha. That makes more sense.

GTW

The brain can use ketone bodies as a substrate for ATP synthesis. However, the lack of glucose will slow cellular respiration and the brain will always use some glucose from glucogenic aminos and lactate.
Right you are. More correctly, CNS does not require exogenous glucose.
Interested to read an article this morning that sugar improved metabolism of polyphenols by glycation.

Apple

She has not been following a meme, cult diet for 65 years if it only popped up like 6 years ago
Indeed! People at 82 don't even know what carnivore diet is. We can only asume, in Ray Peat words, she just eats normal foods, what ever they have access to on the ranch. Maybe, primarily meat... with oats, corn, bread, eggs, backery, alcohol.... Otherwise why would a healthy person on a ranch be on a restrictive diet all her life unless she is a health nut like Ray Peat ? I bet they feed their chickens with corn...
But the guy next to her is possibly in his mid 70th...
Anthony Chaffee looks like a middle aged man in his late 40th in good shape.

ATP

Right you are. More correctly, CNS does not require exogenous glucose.
Interested to read an article this morning that sugar improved metabolism of polyphenols by glycation.
Yeah but it seems that gluconeogenesis and ketones can only provide sufficient energy or structure because the metabolism slows down to compensate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals