Willow Bark - Any Good Brands Out There?

Discussion in 'Supplements' started by DMF, May 20, 2013.

1. DMF

DMF Member

Like It reads. I don't know what company offers a reliable source. Also, does anyone take willow bark for thyroid problems?

2. jaketthomas

jaketthomas Member

Yes, DMF, I have been taking Willow Bark for months now. I took aspirin, as per the Peat suggetions and had ALL kinds of problems with it. From what point on, vowed off of aspirin. In my opinion, aspirin is a drug, with potentially deadly side effects, especially if someone has H. Pylori (which many, many people do these days).

Went to white willow bark extract. Best to get the powder, which is readily available. Only problem with WW is it's only 15% salicin. You need to take the equivalent of 5 1/2 capsules per day to equal ONE aspirin tablet. I wouldn't go any higher than 6 per day, because white willow bark has tannins, like tea, which can mess with your mineral ratios in high doses. I have heard through the grapevine that 25% salicin white willow bark is available, which would be a HUGE upgrade over the 15%.

3. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

Here is one source for 25 % white willow bark powder. I've not heard of this source. Seems to be a small outfit in Toronto, Canada.

http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/298

4. jaketthomas

jaketthomas Member

GREAT job, 4peatssake! Thanks!

5. jaketthomas

jaketthomas Member

Swanson has 500mg capsules of 25% salicin for only $4.99, but it has Magnesium Stearate in it. Not the best choice, but a cheap choice if you're on a budget. http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson- ... 0-veg-caps

125mg of salicin per capsule, would mean 3 capsules would be 375mg, more than a standard dose of aspirin. Not bad. I have been using 15%, but have been concerned about the high tannin level in the 1200-2400mg per day I've been taking. Mixing the White Willow Bark with a 4:1 ginger extract can have a profound increase in the absorption level, as well as additional anti-inflammatory effects.

6. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

Writer
    Thanks, Jake. That's very helpful info. Do you have a source for the ginger enhancing white willow bark's absorption?

7. TreasureVibe

TreasureVibe Member