Why You Stay Slimmer More Easily With Olive Oil Than With Saturated Fats

Kingpinguin

You're more likely to not put on weight if the fats in your diet are mainly of the mono-unsaturated variety. The more saturated fats you eat, the more likely you are to put on weight. The body burns the fats in olive oil relatively easily, whereas it prefers to convert animal and dairy fats into body fat. French physiologists discovered this while working for the space organisations ESA, NASA and CNES.

In fact the researchers were studying the effect of weightlessness on the body's metabolism. They got their subjects to spend 90 days in bed [bed rest]. They were not allowed to sit up in bed, and had to shower sitting down. Some of the subjects trained – sitting down – every three days on a fitness machine, exercising their calves and upper body muscles [exercise].
Before the experiment started the researchers observed their subjects for a period during which they were allowed to move normally [ambulatory].
The subjects were given meals in which the fats had been marked. The palmitate [a saturated fatty acid] and oleate [a monounsaturated fatty acid] molecules were marked. This enabled the researchers to see how much fat the subjects burned, and how much they stored in fat tissue.

dietfatox.gif

dietfatox2.gif

The figure above shows that the body burns oleate more easily than palmitate. What’s more, even less palmitate is burned when activity decreases, whereas the amount of oleate burned remains the same.

"The Mediterranean diet (that is, one low in saturated fats, high in monounsaturated fats) would be helpful if promoted in sedentary populations and in recumbent patients, two groups at risk for weight gain", the researchers conclude.

Animal studies have shown that hamsters put on less weight if they are given a diet containing lots of unsaturated fatty acids than a diet with lots of saturated fats.

Source:
PLoS Clin Trials. 2006 Sep 29; 1(5): e27.

you are stating in you’re title olive oil vs saturated. While the study says oleac acid vs palmitate. You’re headline is a lie and missleading. You’re headline should be oleac acid burns more easily than palmitate. Nothing else. How do you know coconut oil is not burned more easily? I mean regarding coconut oils medium and short chain fats. Theres other short chain and medium chain fatty acids that ars saturated. Does the study represent them? No... so your study doesnt represent saturated fat. Sorry. Dont twist facts. You don’t know if the study was coconut oil vs olive oil if they burn coconut oil easier so your statrment is a lie. They dont even use olive oil. The just use individual fatty acids.

Auslander

In my experience people dont get fat on animal fats, particularly butter and beef tallow, they actually rapidly lean out and have trouble putting on weight. Coconut oil doesnt function the same as a long chain fat, its more like a sugar. I personally eat 140g per day of fat 80g of which are SAFA with about 60g of MUFA. Too much saturated fat (tallow + butter) made me way too lean tho, had to add some MUFA (macadamia nut oil) to put on some weight. This is on top of 400g a day of sugar from fruit and 140g of protein from meat. Coconut oil makes me even leaner, but it leaves me hungry, makes my joints dry out over time and has a slight androgen decreasing effect compared to butter and beef tallow.

Not to discount your own personal experience, which I believe is genuine, but you should understand by now that your regiment is useless for 95 percent of people. Those 95 percent will and do gain massive weight if they follow your approach. I would go as far as say that you’re lean in spite of what you eat, not thanks to it. People that imitate that get fat. Period. You’re a one-off, and what you give is not a sound advice. High fat and high carbs will lead to fat gain for majority of population. I don’t understand why you keep pushing it on and on like you don’t see what it does to everyone else.

Jam

Not to discount your own personal experience, which I believe is genuine, but you should understand by now that your regiment is useless for 95 percent of people. Those 95 percent will and do gain massive weight if they follow your approach. I would go as far as say that you’re lean in spite of what you eat, not thanks to it. People that imitate that get fat. Period. You’re a one-off, and what you give is not a sound advice. High fat and high carbs will lead to fat gain for majority of population. I don’t understand why you keep pushing it on and on like you don’t see what it does to everyone else.

This comes off as quite arrogant. You are stating an opinion as if it were fact. Unfortunately for you, the entire country of France, for one, before the introduction of industrially produced PUFA-laden supermarket junk food, proves that your opinion is wrong. The French had one of the highest intakes of saturated fat, and still do, mainly in the form of cheese and butter, together with high carbohydrate (the baguette and croissant, for example, are French inventions), and yet obesity was almost unheard of until just recently, an inevitable consequence of increasing PUFA consumption.

Jam

(Incidentally, that makes two of us then, as I have eaten a high sat-fat high-carb diet my entire life and am strangely, like Clash, not overweight, despite being relatively sedentary.)

Zigzag

(Incidentally, that makes two of us then, as I have eaten a high sat-fat high-carb diet my entire life and am strangely, like Clash, not overweight, despite being relatively sedentary.)
Good "genes".

shine

Yes, I think they are all the same thing. Its both, but not edema like swelling in the ankle or anything like that, a general holding of water. Milk, especially cows milk is a hormonal nightmare for me and quite a few people I know.

Have you tried A2 milk?

How did you even come up with that specific percentage?

CLASH

Have you tried the regimen I discuss?
Where are your results to prove otherwise?
Whats your physiologic basis?
Whats your historical basis?

I have discussed my regimen with multiple people in real life, who have implemented it and lost weight, across multiple age groups, ethnicities and lifestyles. Since you seem to think the regimen I discuss wont work, whats your proposed alternative with the reasoning behind it? or at the minimum whats your argument for why what I discuss wont work?

Auslander

Have you tried the regimen I discuss?
Where are your results to prove otherwise?
Whats your physiologic basis?
Whats your historical basis?

I have discussed my regimen with multiple people in real life, who have implemented it and lost weight, across multiple age groups, ethnicities and lifestyles. Since you seem to think the regimen I discuss wont work, whats your proposed alternative with the reasoning behind it? or at the minimum whats your argument for why what I discuss wont work?

Yes i have. And this forum is full of people who have, and are now fat, blaming Peat.

As a general rule, people under 30 should not be dispensing dietary advice based on their own 'experience'. It's ludicrous, and I dont understand how people dont see it.

When i was 25 all i ate was MacDonnalds french fries, milk, and cereals. Guess what I was slim like a greyhound. Where does that put MacDonalnds french fries.

There are a lot of desperate people in this forum willing to try anything, even your obviously inapplicable diet with an insane amoint of fat and even more insane amount of sugar. But it will hurt them in the end.

To answer your last questions - brutal caloric surplus, plus the bodys inability to handle the Randle...ha see what i did there?

Clash i dont question your intentions or authenticity.

Last edited:

Auslander

This comes off as quite arrogant. You are stating an opinion as if it were fact. Unfortunately for you, the entire country of France, for one, before the introduction of industrially produced PUFA-laden supermarket junk food, proves that your opinion is wrong. The French had one of the highest intakes of saturated fat, and still do, mainly in the form of cheese and butter, together with high carbohydrate (the baguette and croissant, for example, are French inventions), and yet obesity was almost unheard of until just recently, an inevitable consequence of increasing PUFA consumption.

This is just a nice fairy tale, the kind legends are made from.

baccheion

Yes i have. And this forum is full of people who have, and are now fat, blaming Peat.

As a general rule, people under 30 should not be dispensing dietary advice based on their own 'experience'. It's ludicrous, and I dont understand how people dont see it.

When i was 25 all i ate was MacDonnalds french fries, milk, and cereals. Guess what I was slim like a greyhound. Where does that put MacDonalnds french fries.

There are a lot of desperate people in this forum willing to try anything, even your obviously inapplicable diet with an insane amoint of fat and even more insane amount of sugar. But it will hurt them in the end.

To answer your last questions - brutal caloric surplus, plus the bodys inability to handle the Randle...ha see what i did there?

You can do that at older ages if you get melatonin and DHEA to the level of a 25 year old. There's also HGH/IGF-1.

revenant

As a general rule, people under 30 should not be dispensing dietary advice based on their own 'experience'.

Ha... this is true. You can get away with so much in your 20's and then be convinced that whatever you're doing must be working.

Jam

This is just a nice fairy tale, the kind legends are made from.

Thanks for proving that you have absolutely nothing to back up your ridiculous, unfounded theories. And for the record, I'm 18 years older than 30, unfortunately...

Jam

What a load of bs. It is a well-known fact that the metabolism of the young, when in health, can handle extraordinary amounts of crap (ie., PUFA) and surplus calories without putting on weight. Nice strawman. In adults, when not eating surplus calories, a high saturated fat / high carbohydrate diet, especially if the saturated fats are long chain fats, does not cause weight gain, and can indeed cause weight loss due to the highly satiating nature of long-chain saturated fats such as the ones contained in butter and other high-fat dairy.

Last edited:

CLASH

So you have tried the paradigm I often discuss?

Considering that you are saying that this forum is full of people who have also tried the paradigm I discussed and are fat and blame Peat, I would venture to guess that you actually haven't tried the paradigm I discuss. Here's why:
1) The paradigm I discuss is different from Peat's paradigm, so if people are blaming Peat then they are most likely trying the paradigm Peat discusses. I have gone at length all over the forum as to why I think Peat's paradigm causes weight gain. Despite your musings on age, at 20 I went from 175lbs to 215lbs or so using Peat's paradigm, so while I do think age plays a part for sure, I think you are overblowing its importance by alot.
2) The paradigm I discuss has not been widely followed on this forum and as far as I'm aware there is yet to be anyone who has come forward and said "I tried the paradigm CLASH talks about and I got fat".
3) Contrary to your opinion, there are quite a bit of older people eating paleo without eating keto, on paleo forums all over the internet losing significant amounts of weight. The diet I talk about is essentially a Paleo template constructed with Peat's principles and some other research/ experiences I have gone through.

I find it interesting that you came to the forum with an unsubstantiated opinion and when given the opportunity to substantiate decide to offer up "general rules", without providing any support for your opinion. You might as well have gone to a pro-Bernie Sanders forum and said "Trump is the best" and then justified your argument as a general rule that anyone who believes in Bernie is unqualified to vote... (I have no political affiliation, just an analogy)

More and more opinions without any substantiation. What constitutes an insane amount of fat? What constitutes an insane amount of sugar? It seems you have some presuppositions in place that I dont think you fully understand i.e. a standard model of calories in/ calories out, the idea that a calorie is a calorie, and the Randle cycle.

Caloric surplus? I've never called for people to be in a caloric surplus, especially to lose weight. At most I questioned the general understanding of calories in/ calories out.

Here's the deal man, I will put my money where my mouth is. On a separate thread (so we don't clog up this one) we can go over a sample diet based on your metrics, I will lay everything out. Follow it for a month, or better yet 2 weeks to start, if you get fat or anything like that, you have your proof. In the meantime people will be able to see the process, as I will help to modulate things to your specific context as we go. At the end of the period we will see if your age theory makes as much difference as you think. I'd prefer results to speak for themselves

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

Depends on the decade, or possibly the country location of McDonalds. Before 1990, McDonalds fried their fries in beef tallow, and they were awesome both taste and health wise.

Although I am not familiar with MacDonnalds or MacDonalnds. Different spellings could be a different brand. Is this like McDowells?

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals