What do we think of the "cancer devours sugar" theory?

kimbriel

You'll see it often said that cancer cells have an affinity for glucose, and there are famous cancer doctors who advocate a low sugar diet as a way of resolving cancer or halting its progression. I have a hard time reconciling these ideas with pro-metabolic theories. Thoughts?

sunny

You can find Ray talking about it in these interviews.

As I remember it, he Said trying to "starve a cancer of sugar" by withholding sugars in the diet will just prompt the cancer to turn your tissues into sugar, promoting the wasting of the body seen in cancer.

LLight

If I remember correctly, Warburg had found that depriving cancer of glucose would not kill these cells.

I'm not sure what we can infer regarding cancer growth though?!

Osukhan

I think Thomas Seyfried PHD has some interesting ideas on cancer, ive listened to a few podcasts
He believes in the power of Ketones, and restricting sugar and glutamine in a certain protocol
I dont think sugar is the cause but at certain times maybe restricting it could be beneficial

J.R.K

You'll see it often said that cancer cells have an affinity for glucose, and there are famous cancer doctors who advocate a low sugar diet as a way of resolving cancer or halting its progression. I have a hard time reconciling these ideas with pro-metabolic theories. Thoughts?
My understanding on this @kimbriel is that cancer cells have the same ability as regular cells to call for glucose, if the supply is restricted through diet not only the cancer cells but also the non cancer cells will call for glucose and cortisol will be released for gluconeogenesis, a key feature of cancer patients is of course cachexia or wasting away through muscle breakdown.
While cancer cells will use sugar/ glucose, my understanding is that they would much prefer the unsaturated free fatty acids.

L_C

My understanding from reading the posts of others on cancer is that if you stop glucose, then cancer spreads looking for glucose. I agree with the post above you want to eliminate fats.

J.R.K

My understanding from reading the posts of others on cancer is that if you stop glucose, then cancer spreads looking for glucose. I agree with the post above you want to eliminate fats.
In particular the unsaturated fatty acids (PUFA)

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

My understanding on this @kimbriel is that cancer cells have the same ability as regular cells to call for glucose, if the supply is restricted through diet not only the cancer cells but also the non cancer cells will call for glucose and cortisol will be released for gluconeogenesis, a key feature of cancer patients is of course cachexia or wasting away through muscle breakdown.
While cancer cells will use sugar/ glucose, my understanding is that they would much prefer the unsaturated free fatty acids.
Yeah, that's my understanding as well. I unfortunately did get cancer - lung carcinoid - which I credit to my decades of eating out, when PUFAs just weren't on my radar. A few years ago, I ended up with thyroid disease, and that's when I found Ray Peat, and I've been seed oil free for about 2 years now. Unfortunately, it was too late to prevent the tumor, which had probably been growing for 10 years. It's a long road, but I think I am getting better.

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

You can find Ray talking about it in these interviews.

As I remember it, he Said trying to "starve a cancer of sugar" by withholding sugars in the diet will just prompt the cancer to turn your tissues into sugar, promoting the wasting of the body seen in cancer.
Interesting. I got a fat cancer. Cancer free for almost a year now.

J.R.K

Yeah, that's my understanding as well. I unfortunately did get cancer - lung carcinoid - which I credit to my decades of eating out, when PUFAs just weren't on my radar. A few years ago, I ended up with thyroid disease, and that's when I found Ray Peat, and I've been seed oil free for about 2 years now. Unfortunately, it was too late to prevent the tumor, which had probably been growing for 10 years. It's a long road, but I think I am getting better.
I am sorry to hear this @kimbriel. PUFA is a hidden problem in that it is everywhere and in everything. Have you looked at Idealabs Pyrucet product? It along with Aspirin and niacinamide appear to all have fatty acid reduction capabilities, as well as cancer differentiation characteristics. It might be helpful.

J.R.K

Interesting. I got a fat cancer. Cancer free for almost a year now.
A fat cancer? You might want to expand on that for me for clarification. But I am happy to hear that you have cleared the cancer, this is a very good thing. Did you run the conventional treatment or were you able to help yourself,(if of course you are comfortable sharing no pressure or problem if you are not) just interested in your story PM is an option as well.

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

A fat cancer? You might want to expand on that for me for clarification. But I am happy to hear that you have cleared the cancer, this is a very good thing. Did you run the conventional treatment or were you able to help yourself,(if of course you are comfortable sharing no pressure or problem if you are not) just interested in your story PM is an option as well.
The kind of cancer I had is the kind that tends to cause weight gain, if anything. It is called lung carcinoid, if you want to look it up.

J.R.K

The kind of cancer I had is the kind that tends to cause weight gain, if anything. It is called lung carcinoid, if you want to look it up.
Histamine and serotonin are both known to be carcinogenic, given that the tumour developed in your lungs where serotonin is eliminated by CO2, I would wonder if at some point you sustained an injury or infection that left an injury as a starting point for the tumour to form?
Diets high in tryptophan can elevate serotonin as well. Just some thoughts. My fingers sometime talk randomly my apologies.

J.R.K

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

Histamine and serotonin are both known to be carcinogenic, given that the tumour developed in your lungs where serotonin is eliminated by CO2, I would wonder if at some point you sustained an injury or infection that left an injury as a starting point for the tumour to form?
Diets high in tryptophan can elevate serotonin as well. Just some thoughts. My fingers sometime talk randomly my apologies.
I don't doubt it. I had a lot of respiratory issues as a child and very heavy smoking parents who subjected me to a lot of secondhand smoke. And then when I grew up, I ate at restaurants all the time for a good 18 years or so, because PUFA wasn't on my radar.

I hope I'm on a better path now. It was a ******* shock and trauma that I really don't want to ever go through again.

J.R.K

I don't doubt it. I had a lot of respiratory issues as a child and very heavy smoking parents who subjected me to a lot of secondhand smoke. And then when I grew up, I ate at restaurants all the time for a good 18 years or so, because PUFA wasn't on my radar.

I hope I'm on a better path now. It was a ******* shock and trauma that I really don't want to ever go through again.
We live, we learn, and we move forward. The shock and trauma unfortunately enhances the stress response, a vicious circle.
You look young so this is helpful, you have a lot of life before you I am sure.

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

I am sorry to hear this @kimbriel. PUFA is a hidden problem in that it is everywhere and in everything. Have you looked at Idealabs Pyrucet product? It along with Aspirin and niacinamide appear to all have fatty acid reduction capabilities, as well as cancer differentiation characteristics. It might be helpful.
I haven't looked into that, thank you. I did try his DeFibron product but didn't really notice much. But I know PUFA depletion takes 6 or 7 years and I'm only going into year 3. At last testing, I was at 13.82% Linoleic acid in my RBCs.

sunny

I haven't looked into that, thank you. I did try his DeFibron product but didn't really notice much. But I know PUFA depletion takes 6 or 7 years and I'm only going into year 3. At last testing, I was at 13.82% Linoleic acid in my RBCs.
What test is that? Can you self order at quest or labcorp? And congratulations on your progress!

J.R.K

It does take time to reduce stored PUFA levels but the safest way of doing it is gradually, limiting consumption of PUFA, keeping level of sugar or glucose on the higher side while keeping fat on that twenty to thirty percent side of the equation, and having adequate good protein will help a lot. The aspirin and niacinamide will keep the release of free fatty acids burning in the background, while keeping OXPHOS more dominant. I would start with those two as they are more readily available, just be aware of excipients that some of these products might contain.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals