Ways to naturally change hair texture?

Summer

I was always under the impression that follicle shape ultimately determines how curly or straight one’s hair is. But now I’m reading that some users here have seen their hair change after changing their lifestyle, fixing thyroid, etc.

I would love to have straighter hair, if anything just for the ease of maintaining it. Properly washing and styling long wavy and curly hair takes so much time and effort. Kind of stressful.

Have any of you obtained straighter hair naturally, without the use of styling products and tools (even unintentionally so)? If so, I’d love to hear about what you did.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Move to an arid climate. My hair was always straight when I lived in the SW US.
Dr. Peat said his hair was smoother and straighter when he had more progesterone.

OP
Summer

Summer

Move to an arid climate. My hair was always straight when I lived in the SW US.
Dr. Peat said his hair was smoother and straighter when he had more progesterone.
I would dry up like a raisin in an arid climate hahah. But I can definitely see a drier climate helping in that regard. Progesterone is for sure one thing I need to increase. Thanks for the response!

Mathgirl

I know several people who ended up with curly hair after chemo-that got me thinking that the chemo treatments affected hair texture. I think you are onto something. Growing out my hair now from highlights and using nettle leaf to hopefully restore some of the natural color. So far the hair under the top layer is a pretty color-hoping the damage from the highlights will heal.

OP
Summer

Summer

I know several people who ended up with curly hair after chemo-that got me thinking that the chemo treatments affected hair texture. I think you are onto something. Growing out my hair now from highlights and using nettle leaf to hopefully restore some of the natural color. So far the hair under the top layer is a pretty color-hoping the damage from the highlights will heal.
That’s interesting. Chemo is very stressful on the body so I wonder if curly hair can be a result of extreme stress. I’m glad the nettle leaf seems to be working. I’ve seen some posts about it being used to restore natural color to greying hairs. If it can restore color, maybe there’s potential for it improve overall hair quality too. As gray/white hairs tend to be more wiry than pigmented hair, I wonder if the affected hairs also become smoother.

laoa

My gf worked with chemo patients and they testified that after each cycle the hair would go from straight to curly and back again when it regrew, seemingly random.

Mohraya

Hi ! Very interesting thread. I used to have very long and silky hair. Since having my second child and finding my hypothyroid my hair are really dry, no more waves, too much baby hair. I am so desperate

OP
Summer

Summer

My gf worked with chemo patients and they testified that after each cycle the hair would go from straight to curly and back again when it regrew, seemingly random.
Hmm. That’s pretty telling. I can’t imagine that chemo would affect follicle shape at all so I wonder what’s at play.
Hi ! Very interesting thread. I used to have very long and silky hair. Since having my second child and finding my hypothyroid my hair are really dry, no more waves, too much baby hair. I am so desperate
So for you, your hair went from wavy to an undesirable straightness after your pregnancy and hypothyroidism?

Mathgirl

I'm also trying Solban on my part line where most of my greys are. Most hair underneath is brown. I spray it on the night before I'll be washing my hair the next morning. I seems to have less frizzies after using it. Haidut has formulated Solban. It's basically Niacinimide, Caffeine and Aspirin in water with a touch of alcohol to keep it fresh.

ThinPicking

I have a suspicion maintaining ideal texture in the short term may lead to changes in the way it grows out in the longer term. A suspicion that short term texture changes are borne of changes at the follicle. Mine can change a lot in the short term depending on my behaviour. I'd like to get a digital microscope at some point and take a look.

This thread from @laleto12 may interest you.

ladyofthelake

Hmm. That’s pretty telling. I can’t imagine that chemo would affect follicle shape at all so I wonder what’s at play.

So for you, your hair went from wavy to an undesirable straightness after your pregnancy and hypothyroidism?

Chemo affects the follicle shape. I believe this may be due to body temperature changes, similar to a fever. One client educated me about something called a “cold cap” where patients wear a special dry ice infused bag on their head while undergoing chemo resulting in zero changes or hair loss during treatment.

During my career as a hairdresser I have seen client’s hair go straight to curly and also curly to straight around chemo. Prolonged fevers can also do this. Drugs such as antibiotics also show a major difference in people’s hair.

For your hair issues have you tried any conditioning treatments with henna and cassia? It’s incredibly effective at taking down frizz and curl and it’s nourishing to the follicle. As long as you aren’t blonde these herbs can be formulated to not cause a huge change in color.

rooz7939

Climate plays a role obviously. People in warmer climates generally tend to have a curlier hair, I've heard (read) some say it has to do with the fact that curly hair traps moisture more efficiently. From personal experience, I moved from a dry, warm climate to a climate that swings from really cold to warm and humid, and when it's humid my hair becomes really frizzy (I have curly hair). That said, I think the "larger" effects of climate are longer term (i.e. I don't have straight hair now just because I moved to a colder climate, probably takes a few generations for evolutions to set in).

On another note, I've noticed my hair feels much softer and doesn't tangle as much when I take vitamin E and also when I take thyroid supplements.

Brian Douglas

It's been my experience that a reasonably short but intense surge of high voltage (250 V or more) will straighten your hair right out on the spot. Just a thought. :):

OP
Summer

Summer

I'm also trying Solban on my part line where most of my greys are. Most hair underneath is brown. I spray it on the night before I'll be washing my hair the next morning. I seems to have less frizzies after using it. Haidut has formulated Solban. It's basically Niacinimide, Caffeine and Aspirin in water with a touch of alcohol to keep it fresh.
I meant to buy some solban last year for a different issue. Thanks for the reminder!
I have a suspicion maintaining ideal texture in the short term may lead to changes in the way it grows out in the longer term. A suspicion that short term texture changes are borne of changes at the follicle. Mine can change a lot in the short term depending on my behaviour. I'd like to get a digital microscope at some point and take a look.

This thread from @laleto12 may interest you.

Interesting theory. Thanks for linking that thread. Some ideas worth considering. I generate a lot of static. Maybe grounding would help. I also would like to try bagbreathing.
Chemo affects the follicle shape. I believe this may be due to body temperature changes, similar to a fever. One client educated me about something called a “cold cap” where patients wear a special dry ice infused bag on their head while undergoing chemo resulting in zero changes or hair loss during treatment.

During my career as a hairdresser I have seen client’s hair go straight to curly and also curly to straight around chemo. Prolonged fevers can also do this. Drugs such as antibiotics also show a major difference in people’s hair.

For your hair issues have you tried any conditioning treatments with henna and cassia? It’s incredibly effective at taking down frizz and curl and it’s nourishing to the follicle. As long as you aren’t blonde these herbs can be formulated to not cause a huge change in color.
I’ve never tried those herbs but I will look into them thanks. As far as body temps affecting the follicle, it makes sense but I would have thought higher temps would dilate the follicle which would result in straighter hair. Guess I’m off.
Climate plays a role obviously. People in warmer climates generally tend to have a curlier hair, I've heard (read) some say it has to do with the fact that curly hair traps moisture more efficiently. From personal experience, I moved from a dry, warm climate to a climate that swings from really cold to warm and humid, and when it's humid my hair becomes really frizzy (I have curly hair). That said, I think the "larger" effects of climate are longer term (i.e. I don't have straight hair now just because I moved to a colder climate, probably takes a few generations for evolutions to set in).

On another note, I've noticed my hair feels much softer and doesn't tangle as much when I take vitamin E and also when I take thyroid supplements.
Same as above. Native South Americans and Southeast Asians have straight hair in warm climates but maybe that’s because it’s humid? Vitamin E is something I should be taking too. Do you apply it topically?

OP
Summer

Summer

It's been my experience that a reasonably short but intense surge of high voltage (250 V or more) will straighten your hair right out on the spot. Just a thought. :):
I’d rather keep my curly hair, thanks :hairpull
I also got rid of my metal round brush and only use a wood brush. I brush my hair when wet too instead of using a plastic comb. Bass Brushes: The Green Brush, Natural Bamboo Pin + Bamboo Handle
Yeah wooden brushes are the best for sure. They don’t really change hair texture but they create no static like plastic combs do.

rooz7939

I meant to buy some solban last year for a different issue. Thanks for the reminder!

Interesting theory. Thanks for linking that thread. Some ideas worth considering. I generate a lot of static. Maybe grounding would help. I also would like to try bagbreathing.

I’ve never tried those herbs but I will look into them thanks. As far as body temps affecting the follicle, it makes sense but I would have thought higher temps would dilate the follicle which would result in straighter hair. Guess I’m off.

Same as above. Native South Americans and Southeast Asians have straight hair in warm climates but maybe that’s because it’s humid? Vitamin E is something I should be taking too. Do you apply it topically?
No, I take vitamin E mainly orally, I put some on my gums, seems to absorb pretty well that way. I mostly take them because it helps me sleep better but I noticed that when I wake up in the morning after taking vitamin E at night my hair (and skin) generally feel much softer and my hair doesn't tangle up so much (they also look a bit "fuller" if that makes any sense).

OP
Summer

Summer

No, I take vitamin E mainly orally, I put some on my gums, seems to absorb pretty well that way. I mostly take them because it helps me sleep better but I noticed that when I wake up in the morning after taking vitamin E at night my hair (and skin) generally feel much softer and my hair doesn't tangle up so much (they also look a bit "fuller" if that makes any sense).
Cool! I’ve been using Tocovit topically but I’m gonna swallow some down instead tonight.

OP
Summer

Summer

Here's an interesting little thread I came across where some people describe MSM having made their hair grow straight. While searching for similar experiences with MSM, I stumbled upon some threads from a black haircare forum in which people describe MSM having loosened their curl pattern and made their hair thicker and silkier.

This gives me hope as I've been taking MSM (along with vitamin C and Biosil) daily since August 13th. Gave myself a buzzcut for a fresh start. Now we wait:yipes

golder

Here's an interesting little thread I came across where some people describe MSM having made their hair grow straight. While searching for similar experiences with MSM, I stumbled upon some threads from a black haircare forum in which people describe MSM having loosened their curl pattern and made their hair thicker and silkier.

This gives me hope as I've been taking MSM (along with vitamin C and Biosil) daily since August 13th. Gave myself a buzzcut for a fresh start. Now we wait:yipes
This is super interesting. I’ve noticed my hair quality has got worse over the years and alongside that it has also got more wavey. Rightly or wrongly I’m now associating the wave with negative connotations so I was looking for things that straighten hair. I wonder how MSM might be doing this?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals