Vitamin K2 Protective Against Pufa

Drareg

There's a pattern in there somewhere so it's worth a shot for those struggling with excess or stubborn adipose if you were applying topically anyway.
Probably take a few months to see effects.

Dante

They really control vitamin k?!?!?! I could never live in Japan! Japan seems like the health crisis center of the world right now. The aging population problem is scary. How unhealthy does a population need to be to just stop having sex?
Low replacement fertility rate doesn't mean people have stopped sex. May be people don't want to have kids for personal freedom and career/professional advancement in life.
Hhhm, I wonder if these guys work for Glakay, which is based out of Japan :)
So, the studies showing bone protective effects of vitamin K2 (Mk-4) were funded by Glakay (they have patented version of it which they don't sell outside Japan ) as you know better but later studies failed to replicate the benefits. I am not saying it doesn't help but somewhere in your research did you ever get a feeling that they might be slightly overhyped ( this is genuine doubt not trying to argue) .What are your thoughts?

L

lollipop

but somewhere in your research did you ever get a feeling that they might be slightly overhyped
You are mostly likely correct on the overhype, and correct to doubt and want more research. What I find extraordinary is the direction they are funding and looking. Closer to what Ray has been saying (and others) for a time have alluded to. Clearly the other explanatory paths have left them fairly empty and are trying a different route.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Low replacement fertility rate doesn't mean people have stopped sex. May be people don't want to have kids for personal freedom and career/professional advancement in life.

So, the studies showing bone protective effects of vitamin K2 (Mk-4) were funded by Glakay (they have patented version of it which they don't sell outside Japan ) as you know better but later studies failed to replicate the benefits. I am not saying it doesn't help but somewhere in your research did you ever get a feeling that they might be slightly overhyped ( this is genuine doubt not trying to argue) .What are your thoughts?

Yes, I am always suspicious of company-funded studies. But the clinical trials that led to the approval of MK-4 in Japan were not funded by Glakay. They were funded by the Japanese government and Glakay did not participate AFAIK. Now, some government are also known to skew data to favor a native industry but the results with MK-4 have been replicated in the US and other countries. So, while I am still suspicious of privately funded research I think the mechanisms of action for MK-4 (e.g. osteocalcin boosting) are well-known and proven fairly well at this point.

Parsifal

On the other hand, certain types of vegetable oil and hydrogenated oil shortened the survival of stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats by decreasing platelet number, increasing hemorrhagic tendency and damaging kidney functions, which could not be accounted for by their fatty acid and phytosterol compositions.
Aren't hydrogenated oils completly saturated and PUFA free?

Ideonaut

Warfarin also lowers cholesterol, and reduces clotting but with terrible side effects - soft tissue calcification, CVD, and sometimes lethal hemorrhage. Vitamin K opposes all of these effects. I don't think it opposes PUFA directly like vitamin E does, but it does have "functional" antagonism.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. . . I know a young man who had a mechanical valve put in his heart (with a dismal longevity prognosis as a result). The doctors have him on Warfarin and avoiding anything with vit. k in it. I wouldn't know what to tell him. DON'T trust your doctors, I guess! When Hillary's ill health was in the news one medical expert said the Warfarin she is taking is an outdated medication. I wonder if the newer ones have the same negative side effects as Warfarin?

OP
Constatine

Constatine

Seems like hydrogenated fats are "trans fats" which is a synthetic fat made by adding hydrogen to a polysaturated fat. The structure is much different than a natural saturated fat though so no it might even be worse than pufa.

haidut

Forum Supporter

Typically, when they say just "hydrogenated" it means "partially hydrogenated". The fully hyrogenated oils are usually hard like wax and much more expensive to make. And in order to distinguish them from the commonly used (partially)-hydrogenated oil the label "fully hydrogenated" is typically used when referring to the more expensive type. Margarine is a type of partially hydrogenated oil even though its technology has changed over the years and it probably uses some other kind of toxic solidifier these days.

Parsifal

Seems like hydrogenated fats are "trans fats" which is a synthetic fat made by adding hydrogen to a polysaturated fat. The structure is much different than a natural saturated fat though so no it might even be worse than pufa.
That's interesting, never really read or heard anythig from Peat about these trans fats.

Typically, when they say just "hydrogenated" it means "partially hydrogenated". The fully hyrogenated oils are usually hard like wax and much more expensive to make. And in order to distinguish them from the commonly used (partially)-hydrogenated oil the label "fully hydrogenated" is typically used when referring to the more expensive type. Margarine is a type of partially hydrogenated oil even though its technology has changed over the years and it probably uses some other kind of toxic solidifier these days.
Very interesting, thanks. I think that even the cheap labels of hydrogenate oils are displayed with 0 PUFA or MUFA on the packages...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals