Endotoxin (LPS) - a reliable biomarker of cardiovascular disease (CVD)

haidut

Forum Supporter
It looks like more and more medical groups are waking up to the important role LPS plays in many chronic diseases. In the body, LPS is transported back to the liver for processing/excretion by the so-called lipopolysaccharide binding protein (LBP) and by measuring serum levels of LBP, one can get an idea of the LPS exposure the patient has. The higher the LBP levels are, the more LPS is likely present in their blood and peripheral tissues. The study below discovered that LBP level is an independent, predictive biomarker of a future CVD event as well as severity of already established CVD. While LBP is not a very common test ordered by doctors, it is available at most major testing labs and should not be very difficult to order through a doctor of directly though the self-testing online labs that have become popular recently. It is also worth noting that previous studies have found LBP to be a predictive biomarker for AIDS mortality, as well as mortality from the "flu" and other viral diseases. This suggests that LBP may be a good biomarker for COVID-19 development as well.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/nep.14107

"...The analysis comprised 360 hemodialysis patients in total. About 90 patients (25.0%) had cardiovascular events after a median follow-up of 3.1 years. Independent of age, sex, hypertension, diabetes, CVD, vintage of dialysis, body mass index, non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, albumin, phosphorus, high-sensitivity C-reactive protein, and interleukin-6, patients in the upper tertile of serum LBP levels had a significantly higher risk of cardiovascular events [hazard ratio (HR) 4.87; 95% CI, 2.12-11.15] than those in the lower tertile. Whether competing risk of mortality was taken into consideration (subdistribution HR 4.87; 95% CI, 1.96-12.11 for upper vs. lower tertiles) or serum LBP was examined as a continuous variable (HR 1.30; 95% CI, 1.02-1.66 per 1 SD increase), the connection persisted. In hemodialysis patients, serum LBP levels were independently related to cardiovascular events. A new biomarker for CVD in ESKD may be LBP."

tastyfood

Sounds interesting. I don't see the test listed on Labcorp nor Quest Diagnostics though.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Sounds interesting. I don't see the test listed on Labcorp nor Quest Diagnostics though.
Yes, I've inquired about that before. If anyone knows how to get it tested for the average person please share.

Elie

Forum Supporter
It looks like more and more medical groups are waking up to the important role LPS plays in many chronic diseases. In the body, LPS is transported back to the liver for processing/excretion by the so-called lipopolysaccharide binding protein (LBP) and by measuring serum levels of LBP, one can get an idea of the LPS exposure the patient has. The higher the LBP levels are, the more LPS is likely present in their blood and peripheral tissues. The study below discovered that LBP level is an independent, predictive biomarker of a future CVD event as well as severity of already established CVD. While LBP is not a very common test ordered by doctors, it is available at most major testing labs and should not be very difficult to order through a doctor of directly though the self-testing online labs that have become popular recently. It is also worth noting that previous studies have found LBP to be a predictive biomarker for AIDS mortality, as well as mortality from the "flu" and other viral diseases. This suggests that LBP may be a good biomarker for COVID-19 development as well.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/nep.14107

"...The analysis comprised 360 hemodialysis patients in total. About 90 patients (25.0%) had cardiovascular events after a median follow-up of 3.1 years. Independent of age, sex, hypertension, diabetes, CVD, vintage of dialysis, body mass index, non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, albumin, phosphorus, high-sensitivity C-reactive protein, and interleukin-6, patients in the upper tertile of serum LBP levels had a significantly higher risk of cardiovascular events [hazard ratio (HR) 4.87; 95% CI, 2.12-11.15] than those in the lower tertile. Whether competing risk of mortality was taken into consideration (subdistribution HR 4.87; 95% CI, 1.96-12.11 for upper vs. lower tertiles) or serum LBP was examined as a continuous variable (HR 1.30; 95% CI, 1.02-1.66 per 1 SD increase), the connection persisted. In hemodialysis patients, serum LBP levels were independently related to cardiovascular events. A new biomarker for CVD in ESKD may be LBP."
Doesn't Lipoprotein carry cholesterol to the liver as well, and therefore is also potentially a marker of endotoxin load? Perhaps not as direct as it could increase due to other reasons as well.

Attachments

• cholesetrol LPS relationship.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 13

yerrag

If my experience is any guide, a proxy for LBP can be found in the presence of dental plaque. The faster plaque builds up, the higher the LBP level.

It is a qualitative test though, so number nerds need not consider this.

But I used to be a plaque factory, and I would wonder why my hillbilly co-worker Mike would have a gleaming white set of teeth and never form plaque. I now think it's because I was fully indoctrinated into the science then of soluble fiber being good for digestive health. He wasn't, and he drank milk.

Glad I have become him and I don't have dental plaque no more.

Runenight201

If my experience is any guide, a proxy for LBP can be found in the presence of dental plaque. The faster plaque builds up, the higher the LBP level.

It is a qualitative test though, so number nerds need not consider this.

But I used to be a plaque factory, and I would wonder why my hillbilly co-worker Mike would have a gleaming white set of teeth and never form plaque. I now think it's because I was fully indoctrinated into the science then of soluble fiber being good for digestive health. He wasn't, and he drank milk.

Glad I have become him and I don't have dental plaque no more.

I agree. When I’m super unhealthy and paranoid and psychotic I can see my teeth turning brown, yellow, and rotting away. Getting quality nourishment in and they start to morph back to a strong and firm white.

I tell people that dental plaque is a corollary over to artery plaque and they just don’t connect it.

yerrag

I agree. When I’m super unhealthy and paranoid and psychotic I can see my teeth turning brown, yellow, and rotting away. Getting quality nourishment in and they start to morph back to a strong and firm white.

I tell people that dental plaque is a corollary over to artery plaque and they just don’t connect it.
Ray had made this connection. And I'm glad we are picking up on this.

Vinny

yerrag

I would add though that endotoxin aside, there are other toxins (PUFA included) as well as microbes that need to be considered in dealing with cardio issues.

Elie

Forum Supporter
I would add though that endotoxin aside, there are other toxins (PUFA included) as well as microbes that need to be considered in dealing with cardio issues.
absolutely.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Doesn't Lipoprotein carry cholesterol to the liver as well, and therefore is also potentially a marker of endotoxin load? Perhaps not as direct as it could increase due to other reasons as well.

Yep, HDL is a good biomarker for that. Heavy drinkers have a lot of endotoxin in their blood due to alcohol increasing intestinal permeability and this causes their HDL to rise as HDL, like LBP, also carries endotoxin back to the liver for processing. This is one reason studies have claimed drinking is good for us, since it raises the "good" HDL, but studies have consistently shown elevated HDL is usually not a good sign.

@yerrag

SamYo123

Lets say you eat pure peat foods, no grains or fibers, and you become constipated, are you now feeding endoxin/building it up?

yerrag

absolutely.
I only say this because I believe I have already become endotoxin-minimal and still have cardio issues until recently. It was only recently that my arrhythmia disappeared but it was after taking a glycocalyx improvement supplement called Endocalyx Pro, but that supplement was supposed to improve perfusion in the capillaries via improving the glycocalyx. A wonderful surprise development.

I also have a reverse T-wave in my ECG. Which usually is the result of a myocardial infarct. Although I didn't really suffer a heart attack, it may be that it was transient and I never felt it, and probably was overcome by the adaptive ability of a healthy heart. What I would notice is that the reverse T-wave would turn to a normal T-wave occasionally. And when this happens, I usually am in a higher metabolic state. I have a mind to say from this how bad reductive stress is. And I believe most bp lowering drugs increase reductive stress. And I'm glad I never took any of those drugs as all organs are going to wear out much more quickly in a slow death spiral. This makes me think hypertension saves the kidneys, rather than destroy, and bp drugs end up being the cause of kidney failure.

yerrag

Yep, HDL is a good biomarker for that. Heavy drinkers have a lot of endotoxin in their blood due to alcohol increasing intestinal permeability and this causes their HDL to rise as HDL, like LBP, also carries endotoxin back to the liver for processing. This is one reason studies have claimed drinking is good for us, since it raises the "good" HDL, but studies have consistently shown elevated HDL is usually not a good sign.

@yerrag
Thanks for this.

It's coming full circle for me now. Simplistic medical diagnoses alone can lead us to taking action that further ruins our health. The more health insurance we have, we more we circle down the drain.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals