Eating vegetables does nothing to protect against heart disease

haidut

Forum Supporter
The bad news for vegans keep piling on. Yesterday, I posted about meat-eating extending lifespan, unlike eating vegetables. In corroboration of the latter, the study below now claims that eating vegetables does nothing good for the heart. Now, I don't endorse completely shunning vegetables, however, the vegan lifestyle the goons over at WEF have in store for us is definitely something that should be vigorously questioned and, based on the totality of evidence so far, resisted as much as possible.

Raw and Cooked Vegetable Consumption and Risk of Cardiovascular Disease: A Study of 400,000 Adults in UK Biobank

"...A sufficient intake of vegetables is important for maintaining a balanced diet and avoiding a wide range of diseases. But might a diet rich in vegetables also lower the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD)? Unfortunately, researchers from the Nuffield Department of Population Health at the University of Oxford, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, and the University of Bristol found no evidence for this. That the consumption of vegetables might lower the risk of CVD might at first sight seem plausible, as their ingredients such as carotenoids and alpha-tocopherol have properties that could protect against CVD. But so far, the evidence from previous studies for an overall effect of vegetable consumption on CVD has been inconsistent. Now, new results from a powerful, large-scale new study in Frontiers in Nutrition shows that a higher consumption of cooked or uncooked vegetables is unlikely to affect the risk of CVD. They also explain how confounding factors might explain previous spurious, positive findings. “The UK Biobank is a large-scale prospective study on how genetics and environment contribute to the development of the most common and life-threatening diseases. Here we make use of the UK Biobank’s large sample size, long-term follow-up, and detailed information on social and lifestyle factors, to assess reliably the association of vegetable intake with the risk of subsequent CVD,” said Prof Naomi Allen, UK Biobank’s chief scientist and co-author on the study."

Peater Piper

Mean intakes of raw and cooked vegetables were 2.3 and 2.8 tablespoons/day, respectively.

The mean daily intake of total vegetables, raw vegetables, and cooked vegetables was 5.0, 2.3, and 2.8 heaped tablespoons per person.

Not exactly a comparison of plant food eaters. I lean more toward starch, meat, dairy, and a bit of fruit, yet one serving of veggies at dinner is far more than that.

rayfan1

Not exactly a comparison of plant food eaters. I lean more toward starch, meat, dairy, and a bit of fruit, yet one serving of veggies at dinner is far more than that.
What kind of veggies? Cruciferous or tubers or roots?

Peatful

Peater Piper

What kind of veggies? Cruciferous or tubers or roots?
Well if you include tubers, I can eat a couple of russet potatoes with whatever meat I'm eating. I have potatoes almost every night. Vegetables can be cruciferous, or green beans, or other varieties of beans or lentils. Occasionally I'll have a salad. I doubt I eat enough to make a difference, good or bad, but I enjoy the variety. The rest of the day I have no interest in vegetables.

Ritchie

"Mean intakes of raw and cooked vegetables were 2.3 and 2.8 tablespoons/day, respectively."
"The mean daily intake of total vegetables, raw vegetables, and cooked vegetables was 5.0, 2.3, and 2.8 heaped tablespoons per person."

Even though no real inferences could be drawn from such measurements, the study still concluded that: "Higher intakes of raw, but not cooked, vegetables were associated with lower CVD risk." They then go on to state that socio-economic factors could account for this - Raw and Cooked Vegetable Consumption and Risk of Cardiovascular Disease: A Study of 400,000 Adults in UK Biobank

They didn't account for the different type of veges consumed, or the cooking method! Which will obviously have a massive impact on outcome. Veges fried in vegetable oil for example will not be great for health. It was a self reporting questionnaire regarding vegetable consumption and they didn't adjust for total calorie intake.

Amazing that this type of research gets a look in at all. I mean what could possibly be concluded..?

From Peat's work and my experiences, certain vegetables are vital to overall health : Potatoes and tubers, mushrooms, carrots, kale (well cooked in a broth style), onions, garlic, ginger.. and then of course other plant foods such as fruits, sugar, coconut and olive oils, some nuts and seeds like coffee and macadamias, grains like rice and oats and so forth..

Any research into plant foods and their impact on health needs to have far more specificity than "2.3 and 2.8 tablespoons/day" of self reported unknown vegetables, and unknown cooking techniques, or it will contribute zero to furthering nutritional understanding.

Last edited: