Vitamin A has positive attributes {in balance}

cs3000

The present findings expand our understanding of the action of retinoids by elucidating the events in which retinoid signaling up-regulates steroid biosynthesis in gonadal, adrenocortical, glial and epidermal cells, namely by increasing StAR expression, and that retinoids can reverse the decline in steroid biosynthesis in aged epidermal keratinocytes through this same mechanism.
Away from extremes vitamin A has positive functions ^ :

Cholesterol, longevity, intelligence, and health (Ray peat, as in ray peat forum if you focus your eyes on the website name, pretty cool guy!)

Thyroid hormone and vitamin A are used in the process of converting cholesterol into pregnenolone, the immediate precursor of progesterone and DHEA. Anything that interfered with these processes would be disastrous for the organism. The supply of cholesterol, thyroid and vitamin A must always be adequate for the production of steroid hormones and bile salts. When stress suppresses thyroid activity, increased cholesterol probably compensates to some extent by permitting more progesterone to be synthesized. https://raypeat.com/articles/articles/cholesterol-longevity.shtml

retinoic acid treated adipose tissue= higher metabolic rate / more oxygen consumption (woah!)
Retinoic acid induces white adipose tissue browning by increasing adipose vascularity and inducing beige adipogenesis of PDGFRα+ adipose progenitors - Cell Discovery
& https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022227520317223

+ has a role in thyroid t3 receptor expression, (huh?)
[T3 receptor mRNA % went from 7.96 -> 5.55 in vit A deficient group]
thyroid & vit a RAR receptor have a connection. t3 hormone increases RAR expression.]

+ vitamin A is also 1 key part of immunity -> Retinol Depletion in Severe COVID-19, ( hmmmmmm )

Retinol Depletion in Severe COVID-19

+ Low vitamin A levels in autism, autism symptoms improve when vit A is added

BUT , at the other extreme vs depletion vitamin A overload is not good either.
there it inhibits thyroid action instead, has been used to treat hyperthyroidism. and can also throw off vit D balance too shown in bone studies when ratio is off,
e.g
USE OF MASSIVE DOSES OF VITAMIN A IN THE TREATMENT OF HYPERTHYROIDISM & feeding high amounts to rats reduces metabolic rate -20%.
- some studies show high intakes ~12,000iu human equivalent daily lowered total t3, but fT3 increased as a percentage to adjust

So, there's a middle balance outside of a mindset of extremes either end
((forum collapses))

see ya!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6dqIYKIBSU

Last edited:
This is exactly the science “U” curve, with not enough or too much is not wise…

“When a study reports a U-shaped curve it means that there is the lowest incidence of disease in the middle ranges, with peaks in both the lower and upper ranges. A graph of the outcomes would look something like the image on the right.”

Last edited:

InChristAlone

You'd have to be a scientist to understand what they did in that test tube study. Easily fooling like 99% of people. Have you ever seen someone improve their health by taking all trans retinoic acid or 9 cis retinoic acid? Those are the substances they are claiming restore steroid bio-genesis. To the contrary people have lost their health using retinoids.

"This investigation was supported in part by NIH grants HD-17481, CA155223, the Robert A. Welch Foundation Grant B1-0028, and with funds from Department of Dermatology."

There ya go, funded by the people who make money off selling 'anti-aging' products.

“Liver is another rich source of the B vitamins as well as the oily vitamins, but it can suppress thyroid function, so usually one meal a week is enough.“ -Ray Peat

J.R.K

You'd have to be a scientist to understand what they did in that test tube study. Easily fooling like 99% of people. Have you ever seen someone improve their health by taking all trans retinoic acid or 9 cis retinoic acid? Those are the substances they are claiming restore steroid bio-genesis. To the contrary people have lost their health using retinoids.

"This investigation was supported in part by NIH grants HD-17481, CA155223, the Robert A. Welch Foundation Grant B1-0028, and with funds from Department of Dermatology."

There ya go, funded by the people who make money off selling 'anti-aging' products.
With complete respect, could you post a study that verifies your above statement and refutes the posted study’s findings @InChristAlone.
It would be really helpful for me to wrap my mind around this and digest the information

“Breuning celebrated his 113th birthday with not one, but two cakes, one chocolate and one vanilla. And for his birthday lunch he got his favorite: liver and onions.”

“The world’s oldest living man gives the secrets to his longevity in this USA Today article.

Funny thing is, his list of “secrets” probably didn’t have much to do with his longevity at all! The true secret to his longevity is most likely his favorite food, which he doesn’t give any credit to and is listed at the very end in the article almost as an afterthought!”

InChristAlone

With complete respect, could you post a study that verifies your above statement and refutes the posted study’s findings @InChristAlone.
It would be really helpful for me to wrap my mind around this and digest the information
All-trans retinoic acid is listed as a chemotherapy agent. It is commonly used in anti-aging products called Retin-A. Because it burns off the top layer of skin!

What are the common (occur in 30% or more of patients) side effects of treatment with tretinoin?

• Headache
  • Fever
  • Weakness or fatigue
  • Dry skin
  • Dry mouth, dry nose
  • Bone pain
  • Rash
  • Mouth sores
  • Swelling of feet or ankles
  • Abdominal pain
  • Bone pain
  • Joint pain
  • Chills
  • Malaise
  • Unexplained bleeding (i.e. nosebleeds or bruising)
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Increased in cholesterol and triglyceride levels
  • Increased in liver function test results
  • Diffficulty breathing
What are the less common (occur in 10% to 29% of patients) side effects of treatment with tretinoin?

• Heart rate or rhythm changes, chest discomfort
  • Loss of appetite
  • Weight loss
  • Weight gain
  • Dizziness
  • Diarrhea
  • Constipation
  • Heartburn
  • High blood pressure
  • Low blood pressure
  • Difficulty sleeping
  • Confusion
  • Depression
  • Numbness or tingling of hands and feet
  • Earache or ear discomfort
  • Redness of the face or neck
  • Itching
  • Sensitivity to sunlight
  • Agitation, anxiety
  • Changes in eyesight
  • Itching or dry eyes
  • Sweating
  • Infections
All trans retinoic acid is known as the "principle teratogenic metabolite of retinol". It causes birth defects. And using vitamin A supplements increases this metabolite extremely high.

J.R.K

All-trans retinoic acid is listed as a chemotherapy agent. It is commonly used in anti-aging products called Retin-A. Because it burns off the top layer of skin!

What are the common (occur in 30% or more of patients) side effects of treatment with tretinoin?

• Headache
  • Fever
  • Weakness or fatigue
  • Dry skin
  • Dry mouth, dry nose
  • Bone pain
  • Rash
  • Mouth sores
  • Swelling of feet or ankles
  • Abdominal pain
  • Bone pain
  • Joint pain
  • Chills
  • Malaise
  • Unexplained bleeding (i.e. nosebleeds or bruising)
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Increased in cholesterol and triglyceride levels
  • Increased in liver function test results
  • Diffficulty breathing
What are the less common (occur in 10% to 29% of patients) side effects of treatment with tretinoin?

• Heart rate or rhythm changes, chest discomfort
  • Loss of appetite
  • Weight loss
  • Weight gain
  • Dizziness
  • Diarrhea
  • Constipation
  • Heartburn
  • High blood pressure
  • Low blood pressure
  • Difficulty sleeping
  • Confusion
  • Depression
  • Numbness or tingling of hands and feet
  • Earache or ear discomfort
  • Redness of the face or neck
  • Itching
  • Sensitivity to sunlight
  • Agitation, anxiety
  • Changes in eyesight
  • Itching or dry eyes
  • Sweating
  • Infections
All trans retinoic acid is known as the "principle teratogenic metabolite of retinol". It causes birth defects. And using vitamin A supplements increases this metabolite extremely high.
I appreciate this thank you.
I look forward to seeing the research data in these conclusions, it will help to give context as to how the data was gathered and experiments were conducted as well as the methodologies used in the research. Thanks so much for this.

InChristAlone

I appreciate this thank you.
I look forward to seeing the research data in these conclusions, it will help to give context as to how the data was gathered and experiments were conducted as well as the methodologies used in the research. Thanks so much for this.
I don't have time to gather up all the research, if you read Grant Genereux's book it's all laid out for you if you don't want to look it up. It's very well known retinoic acid has a long list of side effects. Surprised you hadn't heard about it! And I posted a study showing eating liver raises it as well. Meaning the study authors said pregnant women need to be careful even consuming liver. Retinoids cause birth defects.

J.R.K

I don't have time to gather up all the research, if you read Grant Genereux's book it's all laid out for you if you don't want to look it up. It's very well known retinoic acid has a long list of side effects. Surprised you hadn't heard about it! And I posted a study showing eating liver raises it as well. Meaning the study authors said pregnant women need to be careful even consuming liver. Retinoids cause birth defects.
Not a problem @InChristAlone, there is no rush, as you find them, and have time if it wouldn’t be too much trouble I would be grateful!
I will look up Grants book, I am sure there will be the full studies and references. I just need the history for context, I am surprised that these studies did not come across on the forum until the past six years.
Do you know of any correspondence with Dr Peat on this matter?

Nick

Not a problem @InChristAlone, there is no rush, as you find them, and have time if it wouldn’t be too much trouble I would be grateful!
I will look up Grants book, I am sure there will be the full studies and references. I just need the history for context, I am surprised that these studies did not come across on the forum until the past six years.
Do you know of any correspondence with Dr Peat on this matter?
Grant listed these as some good papers to start with:

Teratogenicity of High Vitamin A Intake
Kenneth J. Rothman, Dr.P.H.,
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejm199511233332101

The Acute and Chronic Toxic Effects of Vitamin A
The acute and chronic toxic effects of vitamin A - PubMed

The Effect of Hypervitaminosis A in a Young Pig
The effect of hypervitaminosis A and other dietary factors on the young pig

Hypervitaminosis A - By Kare Rodahl. Skrifter No. 95.
HYPERVITAMINOSIS A. By Kare Rodahl. Skrifter No. 95. 10½x7 in. Pp. 206, with 55 figures, 78 tables and 27 graphs. 1950. Oslo: Norsk Polarinstitutt. Price N. kr. 22,50 | Bone & Joint

Decreased Brain Function in the rat, Total and Mitochondrial Nitrosative Stress,
Decreased Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor(BDNF) Levels and Glutamate Up....
https://www.researchgate.net/publicat...

GTW

HYPERVITAMINOSIS A. By Kare Rodahl. Skrifter No. 95. 10½x7 in. Pp. 206, with 55 figures, 78 tables and 27 graphs. 1950. Oslo: Norsk Polarinstitutt. Price N. kr. 22,50 | Bone & Joint

Decreased Brain Function in the rat, Total and Mitochondrial Nitrosative Stress,
At the low end, 1,000 units per kg long term. Don't do this at home!

J.R.K

Thanks @Nick I appreciate it!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals