Vets Are Shocked My Dog Isn’t Dead

She started experiencing very elevated liver enzymes a few years ago. Ultrasound revealed a very small sized liver.

We started her on pregenenolone, progesterone, T3, K2 MK4d, and support her with charcoal granules and bentonite clay. We give her cyproheptadine when her appetite flags.

Two or so years later, vets are shocked she isn’t dead. Liver enzymes and bilirubin is very high, with bilirubin spilling into the dog’s urine.

But the dog remains outwardly completely healthy. No trace of jaundice. No lethargy. You would never know this dog has any health problem at all.

Her liver is end-stage liver disease according to ultrasound. I’m sure we will lose her at some point, perhaps soon, but two vets were shocked she isn’t dead long ago.

I suppose this is a good indication that we have been helping her with Peat-y supplements.

nad

She started experiencing very elevated liver enzymes a few years ago. Ultrasound revealed a very small sized liver.

We started her on pregenenolone, progesterone, T3, K2 MK4d, and support her with charcoal granules and bentonite clay. We give her cyproheptadine when her appetite flags.

Two or so years later, vets are shocked she isn’t dead. Liver enzymes and bilirubin is very high, with bilirubin spilling into the dog’s urine.

But the dog remains outwardly completely healthy. No trace of jaundice. No lethargy. You would never know this dog has any health problem at all.

Her liver is end-stage liver disease according to ultrasound. I’m sure we will lose her at some point, perhaps soon, but two vets were shocked she isn’t dead long ago.

I suppose this is a good indication that we have been helping her with Peat-y supplements.
Wow, do you think I can help my ~15 years old cat? what doses? And her issue's kidney.
I lost her daughter last year because of that, was so hard! And this one is my family member, she's smarter then some humans, but started to decline. So-o sad, so-o don't want to loose her! Can I add some salt & sugar in her water to prolong her days?

OP
ecstatichamster
Wow, do you think I can help my ~15 years old cat? what doses? And her issue's kidney.
I lost her daughter last year because of that, was so hard! And this one is my family member, she's smarter then some humans, but started to decline. So-o sad, so-o don't want to loose her! Can I add some salt & sugar in her water to prolong her days?

Everything Peat. Sugar salt pregnenolone progesterone K2 D3 t3 no pufas etc

nad

Everything Peat. Sugar salt pregnenolone progesterone K2 D3 t3 no pufas etc
thank you, yeah but how much? Probably few(?) times less, then, lets say, for me? How did you calculate it for you doggy? How big is she?

OP
ecstatichamster
thank you, yeah but how much? Probably few(?) times less, then, lets say, for me? How did you calculate it for you doggy? How big is she?

Dogs take a lot more. Like an adult human dose for our dog who is 40 pounds.

Mossy

That is great news about your dog. Hearing this has motivated me to inquire about an abandoned cat that I’ve taken in. He has dyspnea, as I see it defined here.

I feel bad for him, and no doubt, it makes his life difficult. He tends to be relatively normal, but I believe this is a chronic situation, that adds anxiety to him — and me!

I don’t have the finances to take him to the vet, or I would. For now, my thought is to search out Peaty heart, asthma, and virus remedies, to match the possibilities detailed on that link. If anyone has any insight or experience with this, using a Peaty approach, I would appreciate it.

I can relay this, he tends to always be warm and hyperventilates easily. He likes cool things: tile, wood floor, and now the refrigerator! I took one of the bottom draws out of my refridgerator to work on a leak and he likes to go all the way inside and lay down!

Last edited:

nad

That is great news about your dog. Hearing this has motivated me to inquire about an abandoned cat that I’ve taken in. He has dyspnea, as I see it defined here.

I feel bad for him, and no doubt, it makes his life difficult. He tends to be relatively normal, but I believe this is a chronic situation, that adds anxiety to him — and me!

I don’t have the finances to take him to the vet, or I would. For now, my thought is to search out Peaty heart, asthma, and virus remedies, to match the possibilities detailed on that link. If anyone has any insight or experience with this, using a Peaty approach, I would appreciate it.

I can relay this, he tends to always be warm and hyperventilates easily. He likes cool things: tile, wood floor, and now the refrigerator! I took one of the bottom draws out of my refridgerator to work on a leak and he likes to go all the way inside and lay down!
Oh, wow, my 2 girls (and all my previous cats was) not like others, but your - never heard something like that! hope you turn temp. little up for him. And you keep door open? When my afraid of something like thunder etc, some extra food and pet. keep them calmer and more trustful.

Spokey

That's superb. Wish I'd known about Ray's work before my dog fell ill. :(

Mossy

Oh, wow, my 2 girls (and all my previous cats was) not like others, but your - never heard something like that! hope you turn temp. little up for him. And you keep door open? When my afraid of something like thunder etc, some extra food and pet. keep them calmer and more trustful.
I do keep the door cracked, so I can be alert to what’s going on, and I never leave the kitchen when he jumps in there.

Amazoniac

hamster, have you considered an approach similar to Gerson's? This means more care with salt and supplemental vit D. I know Raj says good things about them, but in critical conditions both can be an issue.

Dogs will probably enjoy carrot-liver juices (extra B-vitamins are a requirement). Casein and collagen should help as well (if it's too advanced she might not handle them). Working with pets is more difficult because you don't know that something given needs adjustment until there are clear manifestations of the mistake. For example: D3 might be stabilizing her situation, and eliminating it resulting in fast deterioration.

Do you keep the K2 supplement steady throughout the day? It might be worth including some phylloquinone.

There are liver extracts for veteran use (injection) to add to what diet is already providing, but I don't know if they're reliable enough.

It's possible to do enemas on pets. It should be preferable to charcoal.

There are some medicinal plants (such as Pau d'Arco) that are also suitable for them.

sunraiser

It's all well and good using arbitrary supplementation and exogenous hormones on yourself and assessing how you feel, though it's generally impossible to balance even with intuition and reflection.

However pressing your belief on another creature that's under your care is at least morally shady and at most abject cruelty.

Remember it's just your PERCEPTION that these things are good and you cannot know the physiological truth. For me (a person who has had elevated liver enzymes for long periods) all those things could not possibly be balanced without any kind of intuitive process that goes well beyond arbitrary administration of substances that are perceived by me as "good"

As much as it might read as such, this isn't an attack on you as a person, but more a plea for consideration that your perspective may not be the truth and may not be healthy. What you put in your own body is up to you entirely, but not that of another who cannot communicate or fend for itself instinctively.

OP
ecstatichamster
A few days ago, she was chasing squirrels. Then overnight, she became very sick and in a few hours died peacefully, or as peacefully as a dog can die. We had taken her to the vet for euthanasia but she died with us there petting her. I wish I knew what could have fixed this problem. I think she lived much longer than she would have if we hadn't given her Peaty supplements and lots of love.

My mistake with all my dogs was feeding them PUFAs (until I knew better with this one, but by then it was probably too late.) Next dog we get will be PUFA "deficient."

OP
ecstatichamster
It's all well and good using arbitrary supplementation and exogenous hormones on yourself and assessing how you feel, though it's generally impossible to balance even with intuition and reflection.

However pressing your belief on another creature that's under your care is at least morally shady and at most abject cruelty.

Remember it's just your PERCEPTION that these things are good and you cannot know the physiological truth. For me (a person who has had elevated liver enzymes for long periods) all those things could not possibly be balanced without any kind of intuitive process that goes well beyond arbitrary administration of substances that are perceived by me as "good"

As much as it might read as such, this isn't an attack on you as a person, but more a plea for consideration that your perspective may not be the truth and may not be healthy. What you put in your own body is up to you entirely, but not that of another who cannot communicate or fend for itself instinctively.

well, you don't give me enough credit. This was a dog with end stage liver disease for at least two years. Bilirubin and liver enzymes off the charts. I think you are unfair here. That's okay. I appreciate your perspective. Just sharing with you that with the typical veterinary interventions this dog would be suffering and dead long ago. Biopsies were in the cards, and probably high dose cortisone for her "auto immune" "attack on her own liver". We dodged these bullets and I am sad but pleased that we were able to help her live this long and this high quality of life. Towards the last week or two she would whine for no apparent reason, and she never whined, so I suppose she was suffering to some degree but she behaved normally other than becoming ever more finicky about eating and low appetite.

I post here so that others will be encouraged for their dogs or cats. I will give my next dog some milk and coffee and I think we may feed him or her a diet similar to my own. I'm not sure we'll bother with the raw diet. The raw foods are all loaded with PUFAs.

alywest

A few days ago, she was chasing squirrels. Then overnight, she became very sick and in a few hours died peacefully, or as peacefully as a dog can die. We had taken her to the vet for euthanasia but she died with us there petting her. I wish I knew what could have fixed this problem. I think she lived much longer than she would have if we hadn't given her Peaty supplements and lots of love.

My mistake with all my dogs was feeding them PUFAs (until I knew better with this one, but by then it was probably too late.) Next dog we get will be PUFA "deficient."
I'm so sorry to hear that. I lost a dog, too, a year ago and it's still hard. It gets better, though. I beat myself up over the food I gave him, too. Even the most expensive dry foods are filled with PUFA. This thread has inspired me to continue to feed my current dogs homemade food!
Again, so sorry for your loss. Even if it was the dog's "time" it's still so hard. That is awesome that you prolonged her life for such a long time and that she was active and happy!

OP
ecstatichamster
I'm so sorry to hear that. I lost a dog, too, a year ago and it's still hard. It gets better, though. I beat myself up over the food I gave him, too. Even the most expensive dry foods are filled with PUFA. This thread has inspired me to continue to feed my current dogs homemade food!
Again, so sorry for your loss. Even if it was the dog's "time" it's still so hard. That is awesome that you prolonged her life for such a long time and that she was active and happy!

Thank you so much @alywest I really appreciate your kind words.

nad

Sorry about this "act of life", lost cat last year, know how hard it is. PUFAs are killers. My remaining 15 years old cat enjoying drinking salty-sugary- baking soda water - your advise. Looks better, thank you. and sorry again, take care.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
well, you don't give me enough credit. This was a dog with end stage liver disease for at least two years. Bilirubin and liver enzymes off the charts. I think you are unfair here. That's okay. I appreciate your perspective. Just sharing with you that with the typical veterinary interventions this dog would be suffering and dead long ago. Biopsies were in the cards, and probably high dose cortisone for her "auto immune" "attack on her own liver". We dodged these bullets and I am sad but pleased that we were able to help her live this long and this high quality of life. Towards the last week or two she would whine for no apparent reason, and she never whined, so I suppose she was suffering to some degree but she behaved normally other than becoming ever more finicky about eating and low appetite.

I post here so that others will be encouraged for their dogs or cats. I will give my next dog some milk and coffee and I think we may feed him or her a diet similar to my own. I'm not sure we'll bother with the raw diet. The raw foods are all loaded with PUFAs.
You did great and she was lucky to have you for family.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals