Vets Are Shocked My Dog Isn’t Dead

tara

Sorry you've lost her. Congratulations on keep her as well as you did as long as you did.
I will give my next dog some milk and coffee and I think we may feed him or her a diet similar to my own.
I think dogs have lower tolerance (and LD50 etc) for caffeine than humans do.
I'm not expert, and can't say whether very small amounts would do good or harm, but I imagine that amounts that can be experienced as beneficial for many humans might be quite harmful for many dogs.

OP
ecstatichamster
Sorry you've lost her. Congratulations on keep her as well as you did as long as you did.

I think dogs have lower tolerance (and LD50 etc) for caffeine than humans do.
I'm not expert, and can't say whether very small amounts would do good or harm, but I imagine that amounts that can be experienced as beneficial for many humans might be quite harmful for many dogs.

Thank you. In general dogs have much higher tolerance for drugs by weight than people.

THE EFFECTS OF CAFFEINE ON FREE FATTY ACIDS AND BLOOD COAGULATION PARAMETERS OF DOGS

This study used 25mg/kg the equivalent of 500mg for my dog. I only gave her a tablespoon or two of coffee in milk and sugar. Probably 50mg of caffeine. At most.

Thanks @tara

tara

It sounds like you have cared very well for your lovely dog.

For future ... I've seen references to LD50, but this was a reference to symptoms of illness at lower doses:

"How much is too much? Symptoms can occur with the consumption of 9 mg/pound of caffeine. Severe illness can occur at 20 mg/pound. Seizures and death are possible after a pet consumes 75- 100 mg/pound."
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/caffeine-toxicity-in-pets

thomas00

Sorry about your dog, hamster...that she was playful right up until the end says a lot about her health.

May I ask how much t3 you were giving her? I have an anemic dog on my hands and I am considering trying her onnsome thyroid.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals