Thyroid duration of treatment

parallax

Sorry if this has been discussed to death. I looked for info but couldn't find what i'm looking for. I'm taking thiroyd at 1 grn to 1.5 grns a day. It has made huge improvements in my sleep cycle and helped with my energy levels. My question is am I going to permanently damage/turn off my thyroid gland by using this stuff long-term? I've read a lot of conflicting advice about how long to stay on it and whether you can bounce back. Any help?

eminions

From Ray Peat email

Most supplements contain enough impurities to eventually cause problems. Thyroid and aspirin are among the safest, and the most likely to be valuable indefinitely.

This doesn't really answer your question, but it can shine some light on the subject.

Mittir

Ray Peat said:
[HOW TO STOP THYROID] If a person's thyroid gland has been inhibited by very high doses of a supplement, it takes only 2 or 3 days for the gland to resume full activity, and because it takes time for the hormone to be excreted, suddenly stopping a supplement shouldn't be noticeable, when the gland isn't being inhibited or malfunctioning. http://peatarian.com/peatexchanges

OP
parallax

parallax

I'm 26, male, 5'11" 190 pounds, athletic. No alcohol, no illegal drugs, no prescriptions. Just NDT, some supplements, and coffee.

there are a few studies floating around (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3561455) that mention accidental consumption of thyroid-contaminated ground beef (as a result of gullet trimming) as resulting in serious hyperthyroidism, but that the patients all returned to normal upon cessation. Having read those studies years ago I have wanted to try NDT for a long time. I have suspected my own hypothyroidism for several years, but only based on some otherwise difficult to explain symptoms, that now most of us are familiar with. It wasn't until finding Thiroyd online that I decided to actually self-medicate, and since I am committing the heinous crime of self-medicating without getting labs, I of course did my homework and started the dose stupidly low, ramped up slowly, and have stayed stable at 1-1.5 grains daily for a month or two now without noticing anything negative. I sleep better, have a bit more energy, can fall asleep easier in the early evening and don't need as much sleep in general. (For many years I have struggled with just barely subclinical and rather debilitating Non-24 Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-24-hou ... e_disorder) Other effects of being on NDT are mild but positive. My blood pressure and resting heart rate has stabilised, when before it was erratic. My cold intolerance as subsided, saving me around 10 bucks a month in electricity. I still drink coffee daily, but since highschool I had been using 600-1500 mg of caffeine daily and occasionally experimented with other stimulants in an attempt to have just enough energy to get through my day. The quick resolution of my sleep disorder has been awesome and its benefits have cascaded down into many other areas of health, as one can easily imagine.

So I have a number of sources, including Peat and most NDT-prescribing doctors, who consistently say that cessation of treatment with NDT will result in a normal thyroid bouncing back. I have also researched anabolic steroid use and abuse of other medication, such as thyroid drugs for athletic enhancement. (Never done any of it, but enjoy reading.) The consistent warning to those abusing thyroid drugs for weight loss is the permanent damage to the thyroid gland. I have been figuring the difference in beliefs regarding safety of thyroid supplementation lies in the difference between the extreme overuse of synthetic T3 for weight loss versus the appropriate use of NDT for health.

To note, I've also been on a fairly Peat style diet for the last month or two and I love it. My carbs are almost exclusively from fruit, my only fats are coconut and other saturated fats, and my protein is from cheese, eggs, beef (liver, meat, gelatin, etc.) and occasionally a little tilapia, shrimp, lobster, etc. So far this is the best diet I have ever tried.

OP
parallax

parallax

Partially answering my own question 7 years later.
I have been on and off thyroid just enough times to get a pretty clear picture, so I have stayed mostly on. It has been a wild journey, and in the last two years I have done a better job of embracing sunlight as medicine. When I get off thyroid I slowly progress to the same set of issues; delayed sleep phase, nervous tension, mood swings, light sensitivity, and a certain je ne sais quoi that life just feels more alive when I have an appropriate level of thyroid. I've run out before and literally rejoiced in the stereotypical addict-behavior of looking for chunks in the carpet. I can function without exogenous thyroid, but I will stay on it whenever that is an option.
Bloods are normal; when I'm on NDT my levels are in range, when I'm off my levels are low normal.
Currently eating meat, dairy, and seasonal fruit. Occasionally I eat nixtamalized corn and/or white rice.

OP
parallax

parallax

Update
In the last year I have tried several pharma thyroid drugs including those from Mylon NZ and AbdiIbrahim. Always combining t4+t3, either in a blended product or by taking two products as I am doing now. I have noticed no grand difference from the Thiroyd I had used for years before it fell off the face of the earth. I am perfectly happy with these "synthetic" versions, and I like being able to adjust my t4 and t3 independently, although I rarely do so.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals