Does the methylation of Methyl Salicylate have similar duration properties as methylated saturated fats?

hgun48

A friend that's in Guyana right now told me about Shiling Oil and how good it makes him feel when applied topically. Here's a listing for it online: Shiling Oil External Analgesic (28ml). It looks like it has ingredients I'd rather go without like Eucalyptus oil but imagine that Methyl Salicylate has some interesting properties as a methyl ester of salicylic acid. Having experimented with the methyl ester saturated fats in Defibron and having some interesting results like it seeming to reverse some of my gum recession over the years makes me wonder if the methylation of salicylic acid would make salicylic acid more resistant to metabolism like the methylation of saturated fats. Does it allow the salicylic acid to stay in the system for longer unmetabolized allowing to have a long duration of positive effect?

Just positing a question not offering any advice.

Nokoni

Does it allow the salicylic acid to stay in the system for longer unmetabolized
It may but I doubt if it's terribly significant. I use methyl salicylate topically every day and notice the increased warmth and energy boost peaks about 2 to 3 hours after application. Would the peak be sooner if using aspirin orally in equivalent dosages? Possibly, but would it have any practical significance even if it did? Seems unlikely. Either way, topical MS is a great way to get salicylate in much higher concentrations right where you need it than is possible with oral aspirin.

OP
H

hgun48

It may but I doubt if it's terribly significant. I use methyl salicylate topically every day and notice the increased warmth and energy boost peaks about 2 to 3 hours after application. Would the peak be sooner if using aspirin orally in equivalent dosages? Possibly, but would it have any practical significance even if it did? Seems unlikely. Either way, topical MS is a great way to get salicylate in much higher concentrations right where you need it than is possible with oral aspirin.
I'm curious to try

OP
H

hgun48

@haidut I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this. Am I misunderstanding how methylation effects non fats?