There Is Probably No Limit To Human Lifespan

Spokey

@haidut, what would you do if you could live to 200?
Most people retire at around 65, and say you still do programming 'till then (I think that's something you are doing right?), then sell products like you do now say until 100, would you continue doing that for another 100 years?

I know nobody plans that far ahead lol, but I wonder if someone would rather move away from modern life, to a more relaxed area and live more primitive, so to speak, if they knew they would live that long.
I think it would be cool to live that long, but would you not feel like you had enough of modern society as you know it when you get to 100? And then would want move on to something better, but like what?

I feel like I've had enough of modern society now. There's a lot to be said for deliberately having nothing to do.

Regina

Thank you! Thanks to all the other supporters as well @theLaw et al.
EEEEE!!! And there are plenty of us 'et al''s out here.
Today, I took a long walk and noted that I hadn't looked down even once.
I realized that now I seem to feel permanently the way I did when I first used some Diamant.

L

lollipop

EEEEE!!! And there are plenty of us 'et al''s out here.
+1

His products and sharing have made such a difference in my life. Weird to see such criticism flung around.

Take a moment people and think about large supplement companies. Does anyone, maybe @Prosper, believe they hold more of an altruistic attitude towards people than @haidut?

If you think they do, then please go to a Natural Foods Expo West or East show, stay on the same floor of the Hilton as the large supplement companies’ cocktail parties, watch all the wining and dining going on and tell me your health is their priority. Actually, it is your dollars that are their priority.

Teres

As I'm thinking now, aside my grandparents who are still alive, from my father's lineage during the last 250 years among my great-great(+)-grandparents who have passed away due to natural death, none of them died before reaching 100, the earliest natural death of one being at 102, the oldest - 112 (single case), most of them died between the age of 103-106. And to my knowledge the average life-span, especially 100+ years back hasn't been impressive at all. All of my great-grand-parrents lived in rural areas, most of them in high altitude, some of them at very high altitude, all of them did lead a lifestyle consisted of soul-breaking physical activity (according to today's standarts), men and women.
My father told me how his 105 years old great-grandmother regularly, weekly, have crossed a strong-tide, to-armpits-deep section of the Struma river, trekking for kilometers across hilly terrain, just to visit her children and grandchildren in another village. I have not tried to do that myself yet. She has died at age of 106, and according to family members who have met her in person, she has rarely used a walking stick and when she used to, it was mostly due to convenience, "just in case".
Needless to say, the quality of the food so many years ago has been more than impressive, although the menu not being as diverse as it is now. And the people did care only for things they should care for. And few other things.

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
It is Written:

"And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years."

Sunny Jack

To be honest, 120 seems like a perfect age to aim for. I doubt many people that age are very afraid of death, it provides ample time for a fulfilling life without regrets, especially if one maintains their good health right to the end.

Btw, I think Haidut does us a great service by highlighting the scientific studies that point to hope and optimism, rather than the nihilistic fatalism that pervades in the Dawkins-influenced early 21st century. Historians of the future will look back on this as an age of pessimism.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I agree with @Sunny Jack . @haidut finds the most pertinent studies and shares them with us. I always find them interesting and sometimes can use them for my own health goals.

I have assumed if I stay mobile and out of the hospital like @Teres says I will live to 120. I think most people are much healthier than previous generations but they don't realize it. It is easy to get too focused on perfecting something that is always changing.

In my work there are several women in their 70's. And they could retire if they wanted to. I love the stories about older people working into "old age" like the 94 yo who works at McDonalds and the 100 yo who works at a dry cleaners.

Last year I took the day of the solar eclipse off from work. It was great. I bought a lot of the glasses to give to my coworkers who would only see the partial eclipse. My coworker told me the next day that he wished he had taken the day off and traveled to see the total eclipse. There is another one in 2024 so I told him to ask now for that day off but he assured me he wouldn't be working then. I think that is like planning to slow down.

Amazoniac

- [Characteristics of actual nutrition of the long-lived population of Azerbaijan]. - PubMed - NCBI (Раймонд's reference)

"The assay of the actual nutrition of old people living in Azerbaijan has evidenced that it corresponds to the climatic and geographical features of the region and has a direct relation to the long-living. The actual nutrition of old subjects in the Azerbaijan SSR is characterized by low fat consumption (vegetable oils among them), by low value of the ratio between polyunsaturated and saturated fatty acids, by high consumption of fruit and vegetables as well as fermented milk products, by an optimal water-salt regimen, high content of vitamins and antioxidants, geroprotectors and a comparatively low energy value of the food rations."​

- Mechanisms of Longevity Phenomenon in Ajerbaizan

"In 80% of the interviewed cases the long-lived did not consider their age very high. They possess psychological protection against recognition of the fact of aging and inevitable death which is determined by the peculiarities of their character such as low anxiety level, communicativeness and pliability of psychic reactions [21,22]"

"The centenarians are good-wishers and never refer to long-passed events as most aging people do."

"The majority long-lived are extraverts and communicative, sanguine in temperament, disposed to pleasure and easily adaptive to their social environment [5]. Speaking about their volitional sphere, the long-lived have modest pretensions. Through their whole life course practically all of them give preferences to calmness and peaceful solution of conflicts. The volitional process has no high tension and is aimed mainly at the preservation of their personal and social status-quo [5]."

"Life mode of the centenarians is characterized by high motor activity that to certain extent influences on the mechanisms of longevity. It is known that motion regime leads to many positive effects. Motion and physical loading produce anti-stress action owing to activation of the nervous and hormonal mechanisms, improvement of tissue blood supply and cardiac heart activity [25]. Mental working ability increases and the mood improves; several kinds of metabolism, lipid in particular, are normalized: cholesterol level in the blood decreases and high-density lipoproteins level increases. It has been proved that the level of risk factors of cardio-vascular and nervous diseases correlate inversely with the level of physical activity [26,27]."

"Family organization in Azerbaijan is linked with the specifics of marriage. Long-living men enter into marriage rather late at the age of 30-40 years and women at 14-15 years. In long-living women menstruation is late, starting at the age of 14-15 years and menopause at 50-55 years. Love in the sense of sexual relations has very great significance. The significance of love is more highly valued by the elders than by the young [28,29]."

"A distinguishing characteristic of the Azerbaijani long-lived is the well-developed musculature with sufficiently preserved vitality."

"The Azerbaijani long-living are not high rather medium-sized [?], according to the intergroup population scale, rural inhabitants. The male and female height is respectively 166.7 and 154.5 cm [?]. Body weight is 65.5±14.6 kg for males and 62.3±16.1 kg for females [3,7]."

"Food of the Azerbaijani is low-caloric that includes milk products, vegetables and fruits. High contents of sour milk and milk products in their diet make it similar to intestinal microflora of healthy children. Special mentioning should be made about high content of vegetable products and consequently, ballast substances. High consumption of bitter red pepper sauces containing capsaicin normalizes lipid metabolism, decreases AP, regulates blood coagulation processes and thermoregulation. Special note should be made about the amino acids content of food taken by the elders. Among amino acids the role of which in ‘longevity phenomenon’ has been proved experimentally we distinguish the tryptophan (its deficit). Along with its reduced intake with food, the content of tyrosine is increased. As is known an increased content of tyrosine in the food increased lifespan of experimental animals. Food content of methionine, Cysteine and glutamic acid meets recommended norms. Food of the long-lived has high contents of polyunsaturated fatty acids and biologically most valuable linoleic acid taken with maize/corn and sunflower oil. However cholesterol is lacking in their food [6]* (Table 1)."
*1988 publication. The one above (1991) seems to be in response to it.

"High antioxidant protection of food is formed owing to the following peculiarities of nutrition: comparatively low intake of fats, optimal ratio of the polyunsaturated and saturated fats, high intake of vitamin E and antioxidants in the food products [32,33]."

"Noteworthy is the high intake of the garlic and onions by the long and lived. In the Egyptian papyrus of 1550 year devoted to medicine there are 22 recipes mentioning garlic. The garlic reduces the level of cholesterol and total lipids in the blood. It contains components with distinctly expressed antitumor activities, which are as active as aspirin [23]. Tea is part of the traditional nutrition of the long-lived. Regular use of freshly-brewed tea promotes vitamin C accumulation. Tea causes expansion of skin pores and enhances sweating that reduces skin temperature. It is clear that tea in hot climate helps organism’s adaptation."

upload_2018-7-4_20-40-45.png

In the farther-down intestine...if you could be born without bacteria...they've created situations with cesarean birth of rats and dogs and pigs and such and keeping them in a germ-free environment, they find that everything develops perfectly. In fact, the animals live longer and are very resistant to obesity and diabetes and degenerative diseases.

AM: They have a very high metabolic rate, too, don't they?

RP: Ya, they're very much like the calorie-restricted animals. And fat-free diets where they don't have the so-called essential fatty acids - those animals have an extremely high metabolic rate, too. And so the calorie restriction and being free of germs - both stimulate your ability to oxidize food, produce energy, and prevent obesity and be generally healthy and long-lived.
..and the warm weather can help prevent any lowering of the ratings due to the caloric-restrition.

mt_dreams

One of my favorite foreign movies of all time la belle verte had the people living to 250. The movie has some of the funniest cut scenes ever recorded. Now it's obvious that unless people somehow regrow new organs half way through, that age it probably unrealistic. But if google throwing billions at this topic, and people like kurzweil trying to live forever, we will in the future see people artificially living to 200. There's many issues with wanting to live that long, let alone forever. First as we can imagine, this ability will only be available to the top tier of people, and I sense problems with the other 97-99% who do not have access to this tech, wont be too happy about the situation. Will people be ready to have at least (assuming everyone averages 2 children) 128 great-g-g-g grandchildren? How about living with the same spouse for 170 years? Unless you're financially secured, you may well have the same job for your entire life, yikes.

I don't want to come across as attempting to limit our lifespan, I'm merely questioning at what cost. ever since we were kicked out of the garden, humans have wanted to play god. The future will see the rise of gods, not to be confused with God the creator ... whatever that is. The experiment is already underway on a mass scale with things like anti-depressants, big data on our smartphones, and that's not even getting to the crazy things being done in labs with animals. the brave new world will undoubtedly create such powers, it's something we've been working towards from the very beginning. The big religions of christianity & islam blunted this desire temporarily with promises of greatness in the after-life, but science has over-run this mindset, and we're going full throttle into this.

biological & cyborg engineering, along with engineering of non-organic beings is where this is all headed ... it's already underway. The very essence of our existence, our blood, will in the future have robotic nano tech working hand in hand moving us closer to super humans, and another species altogether. i know this is not the premise of the original post, but it's how all of us will come to understand this topic in the future. Zues and every one of the thousands of gods of all the cultures will in some form or another make a return, tell your kids to buckle up.

Douglas Ek

Your topic headers are often provocative and overly optimistic. People look up to you. By sharing studies and discussing them as a voice of authority you receive indirect exposure and an appearance of increased legitimacy for your company and its products. Note this: I don't think that what you are doing is wrong, nor that you are doing it for the wrong reasons. You provide lots of value to this community. It's the seemingly biased presentation that sticks out: it often appears as if you were more concerned with sharing bits that people want to hear, instead of bits that could give them a balanced perspective.

The title contains the word probably. But its quite obvious that most people wont be able to live past 125. Haidut is only inviting for discussions since its an intriguing subject to understand the basis of health. He didnt mention anything regarding idealabs. He mentioned people eating peaty though. The forum is not only for scientific evidence. A forum is a place for discussion. And even someone like haidut shoud be allowed to discuss things aswell. Sure he created an image for himself here on the forum. That image comes with a share of responsibility. I must comment that hes done an outstanding job

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Man use to live to a thousand years but Father dialed down the life span after Noah's flood.
Please tell me you are trolling? Do you think 120 is the limit of humans age due to what is written in the Bible?
No, you are right. We use to be able to live to 1000 years old but after Noah's flood Father dialed it down to 120 years old. :rightagain

akgrrrl

Yes I agree to continue learning is fundamental and getting a good community would work best. A nice self sustainable hobbit community :).

As a persistent reader, I'd say your "hobbit community" is desired by many around the planet. Self-sustainable is wanted, but not easy for those who have suburbed or citied most of their lives. Interestingly, after a couple decades of living on a frontier mountain with two small communities not too far away, I find the critical piece for community is one in which there are like minds and wise leaders. I am getting out of Haida/Aleut/Kenaitze country soon, leaving a huge investment of my life because the 2communities are wrong for me in nearly every way (I have no bio-family). I am, however, in agreement with Haidut that an ever-changing/developing skillset is critical to longevity. Finding tribe is not as easy as we'd like to think, and living alone is unsustainable for a long run at successful old age. We have many generations that have been taught household sovereignty in USA instead of cooperative tribal ways.

yerrag

I have assumed if I stay mobile and out of the hospital like @Teres says I will live to 120.
I wholeheartedly agree.

The hospital being the first rather than the last resort is why lives are short. It is one of the most vile and usurious and coldest places on earth. If there were alternatives to it other than a home, which is inadequate by most measures for care, it would become an abandoned edifice that would be excavated among ruins in a more enlightened and prosperous future. It is the hospital and its partner in the drug houses that has imposed on society the burden of needing more money in later years, simply to cover the need to pay for very usurious hospital care. It is the same system that has made healthcare insurance a seeming necessity of life in the modern age. The burden in the cost of healthcare is stressful, and the means employed through the incessant use of intervention, by drugs, implants, and surgery, further makes one wish to leave this earth sooner than later. If we don't die by default, we will still die by wishing for it.

Living and staying away from the built-in intrusion by modernity, in a mountain community is the best antidote. You really don't worry that living long is a burden on yourself nor to others. What with a simple home, clean air, water, and food, a reliance on self and community, why would there be stresses that would cut your life short. Is there worry about chronic diseases, long hospital stays, onerous health care by unknowing experts, and high cost of rental or real estate taxation, sales taxes, and income taxes?

Noah's Ark was simply the representation of civilization going its own way of subjugating humans and putting us in the same manner we domesticate animals in cages. Soon, we will be fed pellets the same way dogs and cats and fish are fed.

tara

The hospital being the first rather than the last resort is why lives are short.
I know there are things that shouldn't happen in hospitals, and in the health system more widely. But I am also pretty sure that several members of my family would not be around today if it were not for the care they have received in hospital at critical times.

yerrag

I know there are things that shouldn't happen in hospitals, and in the health system more widely. But I am also pretty sure that several members of my family would not be around today if it were not for the care they have received in hospital at critical times.
There were many alternatives in the US before medicine was forcibly 'unified' leaving us with no alternative to the current hospital system.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals