The more time you spend in the sun, the longer you live.

David PS

Sorry, I meant that vitamin D is a big portion of why sunlight is so good for us, but another large portion is the light itself. Would indirect exposure to sunlight, like under shade, confer the benefits of light as you showed it does for vitamin D?
I do not know. I spend more time outside in the shade than I might do in direct sunlight. I just assume that it all works out in the end.

Grapelander

What about the effects of the light?
Look at these Alexander Wunschin videos - he explains it well.
PHOTOBIOLOGY, LIGHT, COLORS AND HEALTH

Perry Staltic

My chickens do this crazy thing where they lay on their sides, stretch out a wing and sunbathe in the hot sun. They spend most of their time in cool shade, but do that every once in a while, even if it's 90+F. It looks so decadent compared to how they normally act. I have no idea what benefit they're getting from it.

I'm.No.One

My chickens do this crazy thing where they lay on their sides, stretch out a wing and sunbathe in the hot sun. They spend most of their time in cool shade, but do that every once in a while, even if it's 90+F. It looks so decadent compared to how they normally act. I have no idea what benefit they're getting from it.
The same benefits we do!

My cattle/goats/pigs also do this.

I'll look out there & see like Martha the goat just sun bathing in 100+°F 3pm sun with her eyes closed & you can totally tell she's just blissed out.

They also have ample amounts of shade trees so it's a choice to sun bathe.

But I mean in the winter I'll see my dogs take naps in the sun coming through the window, sometimes I legit join them😅

Old Irenaeus

I don't think you can avoid skin aging and there is so much fear-mongering around the Sun/ UVs I'd actually be skeptical about this claim to an extent.

Especially when you consider how insanely supportive sun exposure is to health, I'd guess the artificial blue light that we're aiming at our faces & what we're eating (or not eating) likely has more ramifications on our skins appearance than daily sun exposure.

I mean, of course we can over do it & end up a wrinkled leather looking mess but I don't think that's the norm. People realllllly work to get to that level.
I spent a ton of time in the sun this summer and my skin got softer, smoother, and less wrinkled. I did have a little problem with some minor, hardly noticeable acne, I think from dead skin or shedding skin cells blocking pores, but some apple cider vinegar immediately cleared it up.

David PS

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes, I’m a sun lover and honestly even if I believed (which I don’t) it wasn’t optimal long term I’d still choose quality of life over quantity because it helps me feel so much better. It’s nice to read it’s linked to longevity!

Yes, I’m a sun lover and honestly even if I believed (which I don’t) it wasn’t optimal long term I’d still choose quality of life over quantity because it helps me feel so much better. It’s nice to read it’s linked to longevity!
You look so beautiful and radiant in your profile pic Blossom! You keep soaking in that life giving sun!

cjm

The sun is what genuinely powers our ATP.

Human Photosynthesis : the real source of ATP - Optimumosteo

This is a nice listen too & all of the light waves he talks about can be found in the sun, just depends on when you expose yourself to it:

Curious how to use blue light for optimization. Haven't listened to the audio link yet.

Re: red light, I found this interesting from the first link:

"According to the interview with Sawyer Ji, there are compounds that are particularly rich in bioassimilable melanin in nature in order to increase our melanin and thus increase the production of ATP so that cells can have more energy for all their functions. Of all the natural sources, usually very colorful foods, the richest one would be this well known fungus which grows in the boreal forests of the northern hemisphere, Chaga. Its dark color would testify to this. And a second compound proposed by Ben Greenfield, author, athlete and popular health coach names methylene blue as a compound ultra rich in melanin, hence its color once again dark blue. A pharmaceutical grade source must be found, but this compound is already known as a powerful nootropic, precisely because it can increase ATP production under the influence of light. These two substances, chaga and methylene blue would be more effective under exposure to natural sunlight or under photo-bio-modulation technologies with infrared lamps."

Reminds me of @haidut's posts on methylene blue and red light being effective for virtually any metabolic disorder.

High Metabolism Quickly Destroys / Chelates Endocrine Disruptors Like BPA

Simple Heating Of Tumor Often Leads To A Rapid And Complete Cure
"...we already have another method for treating cancer, which though not widely known (due to Big Pharma propaganda) has already been patented by Big Pharma for treating everything from cancer, to lethal viral conditions, to bacterial infections, to sepsis. The name of this method is "photodynamic therapy" (PDT) and perhaps the most effective photosensitizer for PDT is methylene blue (MB)."

I'm.No.One

Curious how to use blue light for optimization. Haven't listened to the audio link yet.

Re: red light, I found this interesting from the first link:

"According to the interview with Sawyer Ji, there are compounds that are particularly rich in bioassimilable melanin in nature in order to increase our melanin and thus increase the production of ATP so that cells can have more energy for all their functions. Of all the natural sources, usually very colorful foods, the richest one would be this well known fungus which grows in the boreal forests of the northern hemisphere, Chaga. Its dark color would testify to this. And a second compound proposed by Ben Greenfield, author, athlete and popular health coach names methylene blue as a compound ultra rich in melanin, hence its color once again dark blue. A pharmaceutical grade source must be found, but this compound is already known as a powerful nootropic, precisely because it can increase ATP production under the influence of light. These two substances, chaga and methylene blue would be more effective under exposure to natural sunlight or under photo-bio-modulation technologies with infrared lamps."

Reminds me of @haidut's posts on methylene blue and red light being effective for virtually any metabolic disorder.

High Metabolism Quickly Destroys / Chelates Endocrine Disruptors Like BPA

Simple Heating Of Tumor Often Leads To A Rapid And Complete Cure
"...we already have another method for treating cancer, which though not widely known (due to Big Pharma propaganda) has already been patented by Big Pharma for treating everything from cancer, to lethal viral conditions, to bacterial infections, to sepsis. The name of this method is "photodynamic therapy" (PDT) and perhaps the most effective photosensitizer for PDT is methylene blue (MB)."
What's funny is in that podcast I don't actually recall him specifically talking on blue light, but it was a long one & I was listening as I worked.

However, the sun isn't actually just red light it's all light frequencies. Spring especially is higher in the blue spectrums compared to summer that's in the warmer spectrums.

This is why when growing plants indoors there are certain bulbs that stimulate growth (blue) & ones that stimulate fruiting (red).

cjm

What's funny is in that podcast I don't actually recall him specifically talking on blue light, but it was a long one & I was listening as I worked.

However, the sun isn't actually just red light it's all light frequencies. Spring especially is higher in the blue spectrums compared to summer that's in the warmer spectrums.

This is why when growing plants indoors there are certain bulbs that stimulate growth (blue) & ones that stimulate fruiting (red).

If I'm extrapolating correctly to humans/animals, fruiting = differentiation.

~

"...Ben Greenfield, author, athlete and popular health coach names methylene blue as a compound ultra rich in melanin, hence its color once again dark blue."

For what it's worth, methylene blue has an "affinity" for melanin, not necessarily "rich" in it.

Radioiodinated methylene blue for diagnosing early melanoma metastases
"By virtue of its high affinity for melanin, methylene blue (MTB) accumulates selectively in melanoma cells, and is a useful carrier for radioisotopes."

miquelangeles

When I get midday sun, it seems to have a stronger effect on me. I notice signs of higher dopamine. And it has a beautifying effect on my face, similar to when I take pregnenolone,DHEA or vitamin K.
I dont get this from morning or after noon sun.
The 20-30 minutes range used in studies seems to be the sweet spot for me too.

The UVB study in Cell Reports didn't mentioned melanocyte-stimulating hormone at all, although it is highly involved in the pro-sexual effects.

Melanotan 2 is an alpha-MSH synthetic analog used by bodybuilders to get tanned without sun exposure and is also known to increase libido.

Wikipedia:

Melanotan II is a synthetic analogue of the peptide hormone α-melanocyte-stimulating hormone (α-MSH) that stimulates melanogenesis and increases sexual arousal.

It was under development as drug candidate for female sexual dysfunction and erectile dysfunction but clinical development ceased by 2003, and as of 2018, no product containing melanotan II was marketed and all commercial development had ceased.[1]

Unlicensed, untested, or fraudulent products sold as "melanotan II" are found on the Internet, and purported to be effective as "tanning drugs", though side effects such as uneven pigmentation (it makes already uneven pigmentation more noticeable), new nevi (moles), and darkening or enlargement of existing moles have been reported and have led to medical authorities discouraging its use. There has been no scientific study into the long term and permanent side effects the use of this peptide may cause.

Melanotan-induced priapism: a hard-earned tan

Melanocortin analogues, such as melanotan, are illegally used for artificial tanning. They have also been suggested as possible therapeutic agents in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. This case study presents a patient attending the accident and emergency department, in a tertiary urology centre, with acute priapism after abdominal subcutaneous injection of melanotan. The priapism was diagnosed as ‘low-flow’ and managed with cavernosal aspiration, irrigation and subsequent intracavernosal injection of phenylephrine. The patient avoided requiring surgical shunting but had not yet recovered erectile function at 4-week follow-up.

alpha-melanocyte stimulating hormone induces gonadotropin release

The present study demonstrates that synthetic α-MSH given as a 2.5 mg intravenous bolus induces an unequivocal rise in LH and FSH in male subjects but not in female subjects during the low estrogen phase of the cycle.

Following the administration of 2.5 mg a-MSH (iv bolus) to normal women during the early follicular phase of the cycle no discernable changes in LH and FSH concentrations were observed (Fig 1).

In contrast, a-MSH administration to male subjects elicited a prompt rise (within 10 min) in serum LH levels (p<0.01), with a maximal increment 100% above basal values at 20 min (p<0.001). Thereafter LH levels declined slowly and returned to basal values by 135 min (Fig l).

Exposing eyes alone to UV light can trigger a "tan" - NewScientist 3 September 2001

You do not have to get your clothes off to get an all-over tan, according to scientists in Japan. They found that mice that had only their eyes exposed to ultraviolet light got a full body tan.

The researchers add that people who do not want a tan should don sunglasses. “When you put on sunscreen or wear clothes, even if sunlight hits only your eyes, you will get dark, so you also have to cover your eyes,” Keiichi Hiramoto of Osaka City University Medical School in Japan told the French news agency, AFP.

Ultraviolet B irradiation of the mouse eye induces pigmentation of the skin more strongly than does stress loading, by increasing the levels of prohormone convertase 2 and a-melanocyte-stimulating hormone

In previous studies, we made the unexpected finding that in mice, ultraviolet (UV)B irradiation of the eye increased the concentration of a-melanocyte stimulating hormone (a-MSH) in plasma, and systemically stimulated epidermal melanocytes.

Stress Augmented Ultraviolet-Irradiation-Induced Pigmentation

It was reported that adrenocorticotropic hormone stimulates melanogenesis in cultured melanocytes. Stress (high population density and restraint stress) induced a significant increase in adrenocorticotropic hormone levels in plasma and skin compared to control. The serum obtained from HR-1×HR/De F1 female mice subjected to stress showed significantly increased tyrosinase activity in human melanocytes compared to that from nonstressed mice. The increase in tyrosinase activity was inhibited in the presence of 10 nM corticostatin, an adrenocorticotropic hormone inhibitor. The aim of this study was to examine whether adrenocorticotropic hormone released into the circulation under stressful conditions is associated with the regulation of ultraviolet-induced pigmentation. Mice divided into three groups were housed for 22 d under the following conditions: five mice per cage (control); 10 mice per cage (high population density); restraint stress 4 h per d. The animals were exposed to ultraviolet-B irradiation (72 mJ per cm2, thrice per wk). After ultraviolet-B irradiation, delayed tanning was marked in stressed mice. The number of dihydroxyphenylalanine-positive melanocytes also significantly increased in stressed animals. Pretreatment with 100 μg of corticostatin inhibited the augmentation of the stress-induced pigmentary response and the increase in dihydroxyphenylalanine-positive melanocytes after ultraviolet irradiation. Adrenocorticotropic hormone released by stress may activate tyrosinase in melanocytes, resulting in the augmentation of ultraviolet-induced pigmentation. These results suggest that adrenocorticotropic hormone is at least partly responsible for the sensitivity of the pigmentary response after ultraviolet irradiation under stressful conditions.

golder

The UVB study in Cell Reports didn't mentioned melanocyte-stimulating hormone at all, although it is highly involved in the pro-sexual effects.

Melanotan 2 is an alpha-MSH synthetic analog used by bodybuilders to get tanned without sun exposure and is also known to increase libido.
What’s the consensus on Melanotan 2? Is it safe to use infrequently on holiday to improve the tan and prevent burning?

miquelangeles

What’s the consensus on Melanotan 2? Is it safe to use infrequently on holiday to improve the tan and prevent burning?
I don't know, I haven't looked into it. I guess the sublingual drops are safer to experiment with.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Yes, it's an interesting chemical.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals