More Intelligent People Live Longer

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray has written many times about the links between metabolism and intelligence, and metabolism and longevity. The mainstream view if that both traits (intelligence and longevity) are genetic and unrelated. Previous studies that found correlation between intelligence and lifespan ascribed it to indirect benefits such as more intelligent people having higher income (actually the evidence for this is non-existent), better access to health care (the evidence for this actually shows worse outcomes for people seeing doctors regularly) and better lifestyle.
But this study goes a step further and states that intelligence and longevity are directly linked, much like Peat said. Unfortunately, the study invokes again the unknown genes that bless some people with better health, and intelligence. The fact that intelligence has been shown to be fluid and decline dramatically during period of malnutrition, poor sleep, sickness, and even based on diet is conveniently ignored. The fact that brain size increases by about 10% as a result of new romantic relationship or the adoption of a new hobby is also being conveniently ignored. And the studies used to justify the genetic component - i.e. the so-called GWAS - have had their credibility severely eroded as per the study on genomic interconnectedness I recently posted (Every Gene Affects Every Trait, So Personalized/genomic Medicine Is Doomed).
I suppose even admitting the validity of the metabolic view calls into question the stability of the entire scientific house (of cards).

Childhood intelligence in relation to major causes of death in 68 year follow-up: prospective population study | The BMJ
"...Whereas the research literature has taken advantage of often rich lifestyle data to explore mediating effects on a pathway from premorbid intelligence to risk of mortality, recent evidence from longitudinal data from twins suggests the association might be largely caused by common genetic effects.19 With newly emerging data from genome-wide association studies (GWAS), there is likely to be a sizeable shift towards the testing of potential genetic factors, alongside environmental factors, in cognitive epidemiology. Recent GWAS data used in the context of the large UK Biobank sample has provided evidence for pleiotropy between midlife (premorbid) cognitive performance and genetic variants of specific diseases, including coronary heart disease, ischaemic stroke, and Alzheimers’ disease.74 Whether this is evidence for biological pleiotropy (thus supporting bodily system integrity theory) or a causal pathway from genetic variant to disease outcome, mediated by cognitive ability and subsequent health risk behaviours and/or occupational hazards, is the subject of ongoing work with Mendelian randomisation methods.75 There is the additional prospect of interaction between health risk behaviours and genetic markers for disease in explaining health differentials attributed to variation in intelligence, and none of these possibilities is mutually exclusive."

Smart people live longer, according to new research
"...Smarter people live longer, according to new research published in the British Medical Journal. Social scientists have long observed a relationship between high intelligence and a longer lifetime, yet the correlation has largely been attributed to factors associated with high IQ. Those who score well in intelligence tests are more likely to have a degree and earn more, for example: both factors that increase the likelihood of living until old age. Now, a comprehensive study has bolstered the theory – known as the “system integrity hypothesis” – which proposes that people with a high IQ are innately healthier."

"...They found one. After accounting for factors such as higher income and smoking, researchers found childhood intelligence was inversely associated with all major causes of death."

"...Another, weaker [inverse] connection was found between childhood IQ level and suicide and with cancers not related to smoking."

Wagner83

Crap! :cool:

Surely genes and more precisely epigenetics are involved .

For the record I've increased my fat intake (and dairy have made a comeback in my diet) and if mood and digestion seems to be better, intelligence, ease to remember to stuff and use the brain has diminished .

Tarmander

I am not so sure that there is a mainstream belief that longevity and intelligence are unlinked. Perhaps there is, but I have heard lots of scholarly people comment that IQ is linked with longevity...along with school performance and income. I think there was some Irish survey from the 1930s that pointed out IQ and longer life too?

Maybe some tight knit medical circles believe IQ and longevity aren't linked? But even then, they tend to be smart and like those types of theories.

Wagner83

I am not so sure that there is a mainstream belief that longevity and intelligence are unlinked. Perhaps there is, but I have heard lots of scholarly people comment that IQ is linked with longevity...along with school performance and income. I think there was some Irish survey from the 1930s that pointed out IQ and longer life too?
You mean Irish people can have higher IQ?

Drareg

Ray has written many times about the links between metabolism and intelligence, and metabolism and longevity. The mainstream view if that both traits (intelligence and longevity) are genetic and unrelated. Previous studies that found correlation between intelligence and lifespan ascribed it to indirect benefits such as more intelligent people having higher income (actually the evidence for this is non-existent), better access to health care (the evidence for this actually shows worse outcomes for people seeing doctors regularly) and better lifestyle.
But this study goes a step further and states that intelligence and longevity are directly linked, much like Peat said. Unfortunately, the study invokes again the unknown genes that bless some people with better health, and intelligence. The fact that intelligence has been shown to be fluid and decline dramatically during period of malnutrition, poor sleep, sickness, and even based on diet is conveniently ignored. The fact that brain size increases by about 10% as a result of new romantic relationship or the adoption of a new hobby is also being conveniently ignored. And the studies used to justify the genetic component - i.e. the so-called GWAS - have had their credibility severely eroded as per the study on genomic interconnectedness I recently posted (Every Gene Affects Every Trait, So Personalized/genomic Medicine Is Doomed).
I suppose even admitting the validity of the metabolic view calls into question the stability of the entire scientific house (of cards).

Childhood intelligence in relation to major causes of death in 68 year follow-up: prospective population study | The BMJ
"...Whereas the research literature has taken advantage of often rich lifestyle data to explore mediating effects on a pathway from premorbid intelligence to risk of mortality, recent evidence from longitudinal data from twins suggests the association might be largely caused by common genetic effects.19 With newly emerging data from genome-wide association studies (GWAS), there is likely to be a sizeable shift towards the testing of potential genetic factors, alongside environmental factors, in cognitive epidemiology. Recent GWAS data used in the context of the large UK Biobank sample has provided evidence for pleiotropy between midlife (premorbid) cognitive performance and genetic variants of specific diseases, including coronary heart disease, ischaemic stroke, and Alzheimers’ disease.74 Whether this is evidence for biological pleiotropy (thus supporting bodily system integrity theory) or a causal pathway from genetic variant to disease outcome, mediated by cognitive ability and subsequent health risk behaviours and/or occupational hazards, is the subject of ongoing work with Mendelian randomisation methods.75 There is the additional prospect of interaction between health risk behaviours and genetic markers for disease in explaining health differentials attributed to variation in intelligence, and none of these possibilities is mutually exclusive."

Smart people live longer, according to new research
"...Smarter people live longer, according to new research published in the British Medical Journal. Social scientists have long observed a relationship between high intelligence and a longer lifetime, yet the correlation has largely been attributed to factors associated with high IQ. Those who score well in intelligence tests are more likely to have a degree and earn more, for example: both factors that increase the likelihood of living until old age. Now, a comprehensive study has bolstered the theory – known as the “system integrity hypothesis” – which proposes that people with a high IQ are innately healthier."

"...They found one. After accounting for factors such as higher income and smoking, researchers found childhood intelligence was inversely associated with all major causes of death."

"...Another, weaker [inverse] connection was found between childhood IQ level and suicide and with cancers not related to smoking."

From the british medical journal and look at the history of newspapers printing it,the British imperialist mindsets Peat spoke of are alive and well today, they will highjack any information and attach the terms IQ to it to hoodwink people,there is a concerted desperate effort to try popularise the IQ idea and genes before the mountain of information on epigentics and other aspects of developmental biology start filtering into pop culture,Gerry coyne and other frauds had a mini freak out recently and signed a petition against a fellow academic who wrote a popular book on epigentics,epigenetics is the tip of the iceberg.
The IQ tests from 1930 are worth nothing and are not what is used today,another fraudulent factor behind IQ tests is they keep changing them.

If we take away the illusion of an accurate measurement for intelligence and behaviour psychologists are finished,salaries gone,I'm guessing here but just like longevity is stalling and will begin its decrease soon,the same situation is present with psychologists salaries,probably increasing because of the psychologist industry and promotion in popular media as a curing agent,people will realise soon they are majority useless and psychotic and won't return,on top of that their "profession"(palm reading)has been saturated with fellow psychotics looking to control people for pay and entertainment,basic economics tells us it's cheaper to get a psychologist these days much to their dismay,maybe the reason so many psychologist are looking for tenure and 3 months off every year.

GWAS is perfect example of scientific cherry picking and clearly being used for fraud by the correlation brigade,most of them are psychologists with no clue about genetics.