Low Toxin Studies The brain actively pulls glucose from the blood

mosaic01

I was always fascinated by Peat's remark that injecting glucose into a chicken egg during the growth process makes the resulting hatchling way more intelligent. Overcoming glucose deficiency during pregnancy and the first years of life is the key to reach our human potential.

Now with the new focus on glucose, his statement that glucose is the limiting factor for brain growth has a bit more practical meaning. I was thinking about how taking glucose feels to me. I am realizing that I had misunderstood the way the brain works throughout my entire life.

I always considered the brain as some kind of passive organ that gets taken care of by the other organs and the blood.

But on dextrose, I suddenly started to feel my brain pulling out as much as glucose from the blood as it can. It's starving and wants more. The brain can be hungry for sugar. I can feel it soak in every single molecule of the extra blood sugar that comes in via dextrose.

And I started looking for some evidence in this direction and immediately I came across a source that actually confirms my subjective experience:

Translation from a german article:

"To secure its supply, the brain acts like an egomaniacal despot. It allocates the lion's share of the total amount of sugar available to itself without any scruples. To do this, it uses a mechanism that Achim Peters, a professor of medicine from Lübeck, first described in 1998 as brain pull and has since researched in ever greater detail. The pull principle he discovered literally turns the previous functional models of sugar distribution on their head. Peters and his research team discovered that the brain cannot be fobbed off with a passive glucose allocation. It gets what it needs. The brain triggers a pull and actively draws the acutely required amount of glucose from the energy stores in the liver, muscles and blood.

What looks like a nefarious ego trip is sheer necessity: the brain cannot store energy reserves and is dependent on a constant supply of fresh glucose. Even the smallest interruptions in the cerebral sugar supply have dramatic consequences: After ten seconds there is a loss of function, followed by the threat of fainting and coma, and irreversible brain damage occurs after just a few minutes.

So the brain can't help itself: in the interests of the system as a whole, it absolutely must maintain its uninterrupted and needs-based preferential supply of sugar. This is ensured by the brain pull. The active glucose demand mechanism is triggered and regulated with the help of a sophisticated, hormone-controlled triple strategy. If the brain's glucose level drops, it first stimulates the release of the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline. The agents of the stress system immediately block the entire insulin production of the pancreas. Due to the insulin blockade, organs, muscles and cells can no longer absorb glucose. At the same time, the liver is stimulated by an increased release of glucagon to release more stored sugar (glycogen). Finally, the blood flow to the head is increased at the same time.

This means that the emergency supply is running at full speed. All of the increased glucose produced and supplied is now solely available to the central organ. As soon as the cerebral glucose sensors register a sufficient sugar level again, the brain deactivates the brain pull and dampens the stress system. The concentration of cortisol and adrenaline drops, the pancreas produces insulin again unchecked and the remaining body organs and cells can absorb and burn glucose again."

View: https://youtu.be/928y8BiL_yc?si=JtKWZzKG9xwaE7vO&t=563

Ray Peat agrees:

"Neuroglycopenia (or neuroglucopenia) or intracellular glycopenia refers to the deficit of glucose in cells. When the brain senses a lack of glucose, nerves are activated to increase the amount of glucose in the blood, to correct the problem. As long as the brain senses the need for more glucose, the regulatory systems will make the adjustments to the blood glucose level."

- Glucose and sucrose for diabetes

Dr. David Stephens describes the long-term consequences of this system.

Just add the logical consequence that the brain has to permanently limit it's glucose uptake during a chronic shortage of glucose supply to not kill the body and the result is exactly what Dr. Stephens describes. The brain, throughout life, slowly goes from 100% function before birth, to 70%, 60%, 50% function and so on until it's at almost zero (dementia). That is, if this process is not interrupted by a continuous supply of large amounts of pure glucose.

It is this "brain pull" that needs to be activated for healing. Regeneration takes a large surplus of energy, more than is required for simply running the necessary body functions. And the only way to activate it is by ingesting large amounts of glucose so that the brain feels safe doing so. The cerebral glucose sensors need to register an excess glucose level so that the brain can feed on it, without releasing adrenaline and cortisol, which just catabolize the body.

Here's a quote from Dr. Stephens' book that explains the glucose limitation:

"There are a number of glucose transporters (eight have been identified so far) (Shah, K., DeSilva, S., & Abbruscato, T. (2012) that ensure glucose is getting to the brain. Two of them transport glucose from the digestive system via the blood to the brain. This is the most common way the brain receives glucose and is where the glucose limitations occur – in the glucose the brain receives from the digestive system.

The brain can receive glucose almost immediately via the non-digestive glucose transporter(s).

What this means is that you can raise your glucose levels, which results in full brain functioning when you have gotten enough glucose, by taking glucose in a way that by-passes the digestive transport mechanisms and avoids the limitation caused by injuries.

When you have taken enough glucose to be fully fueled, you will no longer have any of the physical, mental, cognitive, emotional, behavioral, relational, or spiritual symptoms that have developed and appeared due to glucose limitations.

It takes about 6 months of taking glucose on a very consistent basis to eliminate the glucose limitations the brain has imposed on the digestive glucose transport mechanisms and pathway."

Last edited:
OP
M

mosaic01

Dave Stephens found glucose fixes diabetes, and that brain and blood glucose levels are inversely correlated

Yes, he did.

Let's say you eat 200g of pure glucose. The blood sugar will temporarily spike, signalling the brain that enough glucose is there for the brain to feed from. The brain consumes it within minutes, and then the blood sugar is back to the previous level.

As the article above describes, in the chronic stress mode, the body shuts down insulin and increases stress hormones, which activates liver glycogen and muscle tissue to be converted to glucose. Once the glucose comes in via dextrose, the brain starts pulling in the extra glucose and fixes the brain issue that caused the diabetes or high blood sugar.

It's not about blood sugar level, it's about glucose turnover, about the amount of glucose that goes through the blood each day. You can have a very high blood sugar level but if neither brain nor organs use the sugar, there's not much turnover. The brain can sense the glucose turnover.

Or, as Dr. Stephens put it, "When the brain has recovered, it no longer needs to activate the liver to release more glucose into the blood stream, and so blood sugar levels lower."

He's just a bit off on the explanation for the high glucose levels, I think, as he ignores the effect on insulin on blocking the body from receiving glucose when the brain needs it the most.

Last edited:

Peater

Just add the logical consequence that the brain has to permanently limit it's glucose uptake during a chronic shortage of glucose supply to not kill the body and the result is exactly what Dr. Stephens describes. The brain, throughout life, slowly goes from 100% function before birth, to 70%, 60%, 50% function and so on until it's at almost zero (dementia). That is, if this process is not interrupted by a continuous supply of large amounts of pure glucose.

I thought ketones were helpful for dementia, I remember reading something years ago that coconut oil helped some symptoms in a severe Alzheimers patient. (They could draw a clock again)

Ras

Yes, he did.

Let's say you eat 200g of pure glucose. The blood sugar will temporarily spike, signalling the brain that enough glucose is there for the brain to feed from. The brain consumes it within minutes, and then the blood sugar is back to the previous level.

As the article above describes, in the chronic stress mode, the body shuts down insulin and increases stress hormones, which activates liver glycogen and muscle tissue to be converted to glucose. Once the glucose comes in via dextrose, the brain starts pulling in the extra glucose and fixes the brain issue that caused the diabetes or high blood sugar.

It's not about blood sugar level, it's about glucose turnover, about the amount of glucose that goes through the blood each day. You can have a very high blood sugar level but if neither brain nor organs use the sugar, there's not much turnover. The brain can sense the glucose turnover.

Or, as Dr. Stephens put it, "When the brain has recovered, it no longer needs to activate the liver to release more glucose into the blood stream, and so blood sugar levels lower."

He's just a bit off on the explanation for the high glucose levels, I think, as he ignores the effect on insulin on blocking the body from receiving glucose when the brain needs it the most.
I imagine the brain understands the source of the glucose and responds as it sees fit.

YourUniverse

I thought ketones were helpful for dementia, I remember reading something years ago that coconut oil helped some symptoms in a severe Alzheimers patient. (They could draw a clock again)
ketones are 3rd priority energy source, after glucose and lactose insufficiency. I imagine an exhausted or deprived brain will respond to some fuel better than none at all, which may explain why ketones are helpful but not curative.

DanDare

Forum Supporter
Good work thankyou @mosaic01

I am going to keep on about this until one of the main proponents either FOR or AGAINST glucose provides a satisfactory answer ( my answer is there is no difference...).

In a healthy person starch and dextrose should have identical effects when it comes to delivering glucose to the brain. Starch is broken into glucose in the digestive system, and absorbed.

Sure if your starch digestion is poor, the gut leaky, then glucose is better.

But dextrose cannot be worse than starch ( unless the dextrose is poor and contaminated).

People are saying ' don't have too much dextrose' but are not saying equally ' don't have too much starch " for the same reason..

It isn't logical.

And if the stomach is totally ruined, then maybe a glucose drip straight into the vein is appropriate.

Peater

ketones are 3rd priority energy source, after glucose and lactose insufficiency. I imagine an exhausted or deprived brain will respond to some fuel better than none at all, which may explain why ketones are helpful but not curative.
True, I have no idea myself just going on what I read. I'll up the dextrose and see how it goes.

Nick

But dextrose cannot be worse than starch ( unless the dextrose is poor and contaminated).

People are saying ' don't have too much dextrose' but are not saying equally ' don't have too much starch " for the same reason..
Dextrose absorbs more quickly than starch, which could be worse or better depending on the context.
Dextrose has no micro nutrients unlike most starches other than refined flour or white rice.
Also, to avoid be overly reductionist we must also consider that there could be other qualitative differences that we have not experimentally isolated and identified.

Krigeren

Dave Stephens found glucose fixes diabetes, and that brain and blood glucose levels are inversely correlated

Yes, he did.

I've been lurking on the forum for a few years, looking for a way to fix "metabolic syndrome", the worst of which for me is high blood glucose. Over the years I've seen quite a few postings about low-fat & high-carb diets (usually along with a lipolysis inhibitor) normalizing BG for some people. What Dr Stephens has found helps make sense of that and, in my case, I've probably had my fair share of both physical and "covert" trauma over the years as well. Interestingly, FBG rose sharply after a fairly violent car accident a few years ago (a bit of head trauma with that).

I've seen my FBG levels lower since I started the glucose treatment he prescribes a few days ago, hopefully that continues. Have also felt much sharper and more relaxed in general.

LaVonne

Forum Supporter
I was always fascinated by Peat's remark that injecting glucose into a chicken egg during the growth process makes the resulting hatchling way more intelligent. Overcoming glucose deficiency during pregnancy and the first years of life is the key to reach our human potential.

Now with the new focus on glucose, his statement that glucose is the limiting factor for brain growth has a bit more practical meaning. I was thinking about how taking glucose feels to me. I am realizing that I had misunderstood the way the brain works throughout my entire life.

I always considered the brain as some kind of passive organ that gets taken care of by the other organs and the blood.

But on dextrose, I suddenly started to feel my brain pulling out as much as glucose from the blood as it can. It's starving and wants more. The brain can be hungry for sugar. I can feel it soak in every single molecule of the extra blood sugar that comes in via dextrose.

And I started looking for some evidence in this direction and immediately I came across a source that actually confirms my subjective experience:

Translation from a german article:

"To secure its supply, the brain acts like an egomaniacal despot. It allocates the lion's share of the total amount of sugar available to itself without any scruples. To do this, it uses a mechanism that Achim Peters, a professor of medicine from Lübeck, first described in 1998 as brain pull and has since researched in ever greater detail. The pull principle he discovered literally turns the previous functional models of sugar distribution on their head. Peters and his research team discovered that the brain cannot be fobbed off with a passive glucose allocation. It gets what it needs. The brain triggers a pull and actively draws the acutely required amount of glucose from the energy stores in the liver, muscles and blood.

What looks like a nefarious ego trip is sheer necessity: the brain cannot store energy reserves and is dependent on a constant supply of fresh glucose. Even the smallest interruptions in the cerebral sugar supply have dramatic consequences: After ten seconds there is a loss of function, followed by the threat of fainting and coma, and irreversible brain damage occurs after just a few minutes.

So the brain can't help itself: in the interests of the system as a whole, it absolutely must maintain its uninterrupted and needs-based preferential supply of sugar. This is ensured by the brain pull. The active glucose demand mechanism is triggered and regulated with the help of a sophisticated, hormone-controlled triple strategy. If the brain's glucose level drops, it first stimulates the release of the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline. The agents of the stress system immediately block the entire insulin production of the pancreas. Due to the insulin blockade, organs, muscles and cells can no longer absorb glucose. At the same time, the liver is stimulated by an increased release of glucagon to release more stored sugar (glycogen). Finally, the blood flow to the head is increased at the same time.

This means that the emergency supply is running at full speed. All of the increased glucose produced and supplied is now solely available to the central organ. As soon as the cerebral glucose sensors register a sufficient sugar level again, the brain deactivates the brain pull and dampens the stress system. The concentration of cortisol and adrenaline drops, the pancreas produces insulin again unchecked and the remaining body organs and cells can absorb and burn glucose again."

Dr. David Stephens describes the long-term consequences of this system.

It is this "brain pull" that needs to be activated for healing. Regeneration takes a large surplus of energy, more than is required for simply running the necessary body functions. And the only way to activate it is by ingesting large amounts of glucose so that the brain feels safe doing so. The cerebral glucose sensors need to register an excess glucose level so that the brain can feed on it, without releasing adrenaline and cortisol, which just catabolize the body.
This is so interesting and something I've been thinking about for a while re: my insomnia. By adding more glucose I'm having more good nights than bad.

DanDare

Forum Supporter
Dextrose absorbs more quickly than starch, which could be worse or better depending on the context.
Dextrose has no micro nutrients unlike most starches other than refined flour or white rice.
Also, to avoid be overly reductionist we must also consider that there could be other qualitative differences that we have not experimentally isolated and identified.
I appreciate those differences and more (including starch causing an inflammatory reaction due to requiring enzymes and passing through into the blood as whole starch particles ).

However the people strongly articulating against or for glucose are not addressing, or I have missed exactly why they think what they think, which is my curiosity. If it's down to speed then rice and bread are bout 80/ 100, where 100 is starch.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
This is so interesting and something I've been thinking about for a while re: my insomnia. By adding more glucose I'm having more good nights than bad.
I am having better sleep, too, by using dextrose. If I wake up I fall back to sleep easily now.

AinmAnseo

This is fascinating.
And it looks like it is related to this old post:

Peater

I started the protocol yesterday evening and have been very bloated since.
I noticed what I think is extra water retention too. But as it has been very sunny and pleasant here I have had several bottles of cider/lager for the past 2 days. (Although i did hike 6 miles both days too)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals