Suppressive Effects Of Minocycline On The Pituitary-thyroid Axis In Humans

sun-maid

Suppressive effects of minocycline on the pituitary-thyroid axis in humans

"Minocycline has been thought to induce “black thyroid”, a condition marked by discoloration due to brown deposits. However, its effect on thyroid function in humans is still obscure. We conducted a prospective study of thyroid hormone levels in 17 patients who were administered 200 mg minocycline daily for 10 days. We found that minocycline significantly reduced the serum total thyroxine level (8.43±0.61 to 7.09±0.45 μg/dl, mean ± SEM;P<0.01), and free thyroxine level (1.12±0.10 to 1.01±0.08 ng/dl, mean ± SEM;P<0.01). There was also a slight, but insignificant, elevation of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) in patients treated with minocycline. Similar suppression of thyroxine and free thyroxine was not observed in control patients treated with β-lactam and/or aminoglycoside antibiotics. Risk factors for the reduction in these thyroxine levels included age and a high serum baseline level of free thyroxine. We found a significant correlation between the free baseline thyroxine level and a reduction in free thyroxine after minocycline administration (Y=0.420X−0.377, r=0.597;P<0.01). Despite the observed alterations, the serum levels of all thyroid hormones after minocycline therapy were still within the normal range. This antibiotic does not appear to induce clinical hypothyroidism, yet given the results of this study, we would like to recommend pituitary-thyroid axis monitoring during the use of this antibiotic."

Thoughts ?

Suppressive effects of minocycline on the pituitary-thyroid axis in humans

"Minocycline has been thought to induce “black thyroid”, a condition marked by discoloration due to brown deposits. However, its effect on thyroid function in humans is still obscure. We conducted a prospective study of thyroid hormone levels in 17 patients who were administered 200 mg minocycline daily for 10 days. We found that minocycline significantly reduced the serum total thyroxine level (8.43±0.61 to 7.09±0.45 μg/dl, mean ± SEM;P<0.01), and free thyroxine level (1.12±0.10 to 1.01±0.08 ng/dl, mean ± SEM;P<0.01). There was also a slight, but insignificant, elevation of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) in patients treated with minocycline. Similar suppression of thyroxine and free thyroxine was not observed in control patients treated with β-lactam and/or aminoglycoside antibiotics. Risk factors for the reduction in these thyroxine levels included age and a high serum baseline level of free thyroxine. We found a significant correlation between the free baseline thyroxine level and a reduction in free thyroxine after minocycline administration (Y=0.420X−0.377, r=0.597;P<0.01). Despite the observed alterations, the serum levels of all thyroid hormones after minocycline therapy were still within the normal range. This antibiotic does not appear to induce clinical hypothyroidism, yet given the results of this study, we would like to recommend pituitary-thyroid axis monitoring during the use of this antibiotic."

Thoughts ?

Very unfortunate.
High Quality ABx.
It is believeable that direct thyroid-toxicity ensues,and the alleged CNS-action.
The discoloration thing is troublesome,and can also color the skin with a blue hue.
Never could ascertain what the particles are made of,but is has to do
with disordered Calcium-metabolism.Doxycycline is also known to stain tissue in
a incoherent manner.

LeeLemonoil

I’ve never understood the euphoria about minocycline. I’ve seen 3 persons that got mino for 6-12 month for acne in low doses daily, 50mg.
All took it in their 15-17 years of age. Severe problems later on, one is a cellular energy wreck. Mitos busted. One seems like estrogenized. I couldn’t never figure that out, maybe crashing thyroid is the explanation. If thyroxine is so heavily affected then t3 too als the study didn’t test that (absurdely)

OP
S

sun-maid

I’ve never understood the euphoria about minocycline. I’ve seen 3 persons that got mino for 6-12 month for acne in low doses daily, 50mg.
All took it in their 15-17 years of age. Severe problems later on, one is a cellular energy wreck. Mitos busted. One seems like estrogenized. I couldn’t never figure that out, maybe crashing thyroid is the explanation. If thyroxine is so heavily affected then t3 too als the study didn’t test that (absurdely)

If you look at the second study, it seems to make you hyperthyroid while on it, but when you quit. You can get persistent hypothyroidism depending on the dosage and duration of treatment..

Tarmander

good study

I think a round of mino is probably safe, and the gut benefits outweigh the bad... but I am glad I have avoided any long term use

LeeLemonoil

If you look at the second study, it seems to make you hyperthyroid while on it, but when you quit. You can get persistent hypothyroidism depending on the dosage and duration of treatment..

Yes, read it. That’s also in line with the described young man. He reported to me that he felt good while mino cleared his acne and during the time of taking it. His troubles began a few month after and lasted into his early twenties when we met. I’ve seen photos of the guy when he was 17. Sporty, muscular, happy.
When I met him: Thinish, drained in spirit and energy and melancholic.
All due to Mino? Probably not. But probably a major factor.

redsun

Yes, read it. That’s also in line with the described young man. He reported to me that he felt good while mino cleared his acne and during the time of taking it. His troubles began a few month after and lasted into his early twenties when we met. I’ve seen photos of the guy when he was 17. Sporty, muscular, happy.
When I met him: Thinish, drained in spirit and energy and melancholic.
All due to Mino? Probably not. But probably a major factor.

Ive seen some sources online saying minocycline and tetracyclines in general are iron chelators. If it is true, iron chelation in a 17 year old is one of the worst things you can do because they still have higher iron demands because they are still growing so they aren't storing much to begin with.

Drained spirit, melancholy, and energy sounds like what you would expect someone with iron deficiency (and consequently low dopamine and lower energy production overall) to act like.

OP
S

sun-maid

Ive seen some sources online saying minocycline and tetracyclines in general are iron chelators. If it is true, iron chelation in a 17 year old is one of the worst things you can do because they still have higher iron demands because they are still growing so they aren't storing much to begin with.

Drained spirit, melancholy, and energy sounds like what you would expect someone with iron deficiency (and consequently low dopamine and lower energy production overall) to act like.

Why do iron chelator are often recommended on the forum? caffeine, aspirin, tetracycline

redsun

Why do iron chelator are often recommended on the forum? caffeine, aspirin, tetracycline

I dont think caffeine chelates it just reduces non heme absorption, which is ridiculously low to begin with anyway so it doesnt make a difference. Its recommended because Peat talks about iron accumulating a lot. But its not a good idea for most people and even for the type of people it would help it quickly stop helping after chronic chelation and worsen health. Definitely not an issue for women, kids, teens, young adults in fact iron deficiency is common in those groups
.Men in middle age and older maybe but you donate blood if you do testing to confirming iron donation maybe beneficial. Mindless iron chelation or chelation of any mineral really without a diagnosis of hemochromatosis/Wilson's disease or confirmed test is a dumb move no matter what way you think about it.

Life sucks when you mistakenly **** with iron to the point of messing with dopamine/glutamate and the other neurotransmittets iron status can indirectly affect.

Korven

I dont think caffeine chelates it just reduces non heme absorption, which is ridiculously low to begin with anyway so it doesnt make a difference. Its recommended because Peat talks about iron accumulating a lot. But its not a good idea for most people and even for the type of people it would help it quickly stop helping after chronic chelation and worsen health. Definitely not an issue for women, kids, teens, young adults in fact iron deficiency is common in those groups
.Men in middle age and older maybe but you donate blood if you do testing to confirming iron donation maybe beneficial. Mindless iron chelation or chelation of any mineral really without a diagnosis of hemochromatosis/Wilson's disease or confirmed test is a dumb move no matter what way you think about it.

Life sucks when you mistakenly **** with iron to the point of messing with dopamine/glutamate and the other neurotransmittets iron status can indirectly affect.

Good post @redsun!

Can confirm that iron deficiency sucks the life out of your body (no energy, vulnerable to infections, poor sleep), and reversing this condition seems to be quite difficult.

From my experience non-heme iron is worthless.

When I was eating more plant-based I got +50 mg non-heme iron per day along with tons of vitamin C and occasionally some meat. Checked my blood and had borderline anaemia, probably aggravated by B12 deficiency and just overall malnutrition/fiber blocking nutrient uptake.

I've been making sure to eat lots of red meat for a couple months now and energy levels have been steadily getting better and my undereye dark circles are not as prominent. Also getting tons of B9 and B12 from liver and milk.

Iron deficiency seems to be quite common these days with the 'meat is bad for you' narrative. Many of my classmates look pale and tired and of course they're eating beans and grains and vegetables. It can be awfully hard though to break free of the vegan paradigm/programming

redsun

Good post @redsun!

Can confirm that iron deficiency sucks the life out of your body (no energy, vulnerable to infections, poor sleep), and reversing this condition seems to be quite difficult.

From my experience non-heme iron is worthless.

When I was eating more plant-based I got +50 mg non-heme iron per day along with tons of vitamin C and occasionally some meat. Checked my blood and had borderline anaemia, probably aggravated by B12 deficiency and just overall malnutrition/fiber blocking nutrient uptake.

I've been making sure to eat lots of red meat for a couple months now and energy levels have been steadily getting better and my undereye dark circles are not as prominent. Also getting tons of B9 and B12 from liver and milk.

Iron deficiency seems to be quite common these days with the 'meat is bad for you' narrative. Many of my classmates look pale and tired and of course they're eating beans and grains and vegetables. It can be awfully hard though to break free of the vegan paradigm/programming

That's why for mostly everyone iron deficiency only gets better with iron supplementation because its so difficult to replete iron from food because its absorption from food is low. That's great you are getting lots of improvement from increased red meat. It really is a must have kind of thing. Little else compares.

Wow, dermatologists prescribe this crap without warning their patients of any side effects other than stained teeth. I took minocycline as a teen for years as well as accutane. I think it explains why I was a depressed teen when I had no reasonable cause to be. Stained my teeth grey too.

I'm certain it can cause depression because a few years ago a family member insisted a take some of their minocycline to help rid me of a lingering sinus infection. Within a couple of days of taking it I experienced a profound change in mood, like my zest for life instantly disappeared. I felt spacey, as if I was detached from my body. Thankfully, I quickly returned to normal when I switched to amoxicillin.

There are far better choices than minocycline if you must take an antibiotic.

SOMO

So then it does chelate iron. Perhaps iron deficiency messing with the thyroid.
@sun-maid
@redsun

Well if it's staining the thyrioid because of some iron-pigment, then it's not really chelating the iron, because it doesn't seem to be EXCRETED.

Who cares if a substance "binds" to iron if it just moves it around the body (and into the thyroid) instead of excreting it in urine/feces?

redsun

@sun-maid
@redsun

Well if it's staining the thyrioid because of some iron-pigment, then it's not really chelating the iron, because it doesn't seem to be EXCRETED.

Who cares if a substance "binds" to iron if it just moves it around the body (and into the thyroid) instead of excreting it in urine/feces?

Did you not see the post about black breast milk by sunmaid and it was suggested this was due to iron?

milkboi

Minocycline got some bad press around here lately, but taking 50mg daily for 3 days completely relieved any digestive problems I had. I believe Tetracycline are a very good Tool, but shouldn‘t be abused, meaning too high doses and/or too long duration of daily intake (which is how it is taken when prescribed by a Doctor usually).

I plan on taking Mino 50mg for 3 days once every month to keep digestive problems away.

Terma

Broken record but I've definitely heard personal accounts of long-term issues on doxycycline given for acne. Some of them put it on par with accutane, which I doubt but can't comment. Was much rougher on me than azithromycin and not tempted to take another tetracycline unless lungs are about to cave. Highly valuable but not a harmless drug.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals