Supplements and pregnancy

catan

I've been searching Dr. Peat's articles and this forum on pregnancy and supplementing, but cannot find much. During my last pregnancy a few years ago I followed dr.'s recommendation and took folic acid, fish oil, and iron supplement. The pregnancy and labor was pretty easy. My baby was born healthy but with jaundice.

Since then I've had some hypothyroid symptoms like falling hair and cold hands & feet, while lab results on the low end of 'normal' for thyroid. Supplementing and diet has helped my overall well-being, and I would say I'm in much better health now than ever. I had infertility issues in my 20s.

My daily supplementing consists of aspirin 325mg, niacinamide 500mg, raw thyroid by natural sources, and 3 drops progest-e.

Now I'm trying to conceive again, and trying to find more information that could help me decide whether or not to continue with the above supplements during pregnancy?

HDD

This is from "Nutrition for Women".

FERTILITY

Avoiding anti-thyroid foods, increasing use of eggs and milk; also possibly liver with thyroid, progesterone (especially when miscarriage us threatened), magnesium, and vitamin E.

HDD

"From PMS to Menopause:Female Hormones in Context"

"Progesterone opposes estrogen, and promotes prenatal nutrition. Dalton's studies of babies whose mothers received natural progesterone showed greatly improved intelligence. Another researcher, deliberately attempting to improve intelligence (Dalton simply intended to treat PMS and toxemia of pregnancy) claims "his" babies have a 200 IQ. Other investigators find that progesterone babies have strong, serene, independent characters." p. 86

"...In reviewing the scientific and medical literature, I have found no side effects attributed to natural progesterone, except for sometimes altering the menstrual rhythm temporarily. It's use before and during pregnancy is associated with a reduced incidence of birth defects...." p. 85

HDD

"Nutrition for Women"
"Factors which help to maintain blood sugar, including good diet and hormones such as thyroxin and progesterone, help to produce big, healthy, large brained and precocious babies." p.64

"Vitamin E, vitamin A, and magnesium are other nutrients that help to maintain blood sugar. Vitamin B 12 is needed to use vitamin A. Folic acid, vitamin B6, and zinc are depleted by elevated estrogen and are especially important for healthy pregnancy. Too much copper can lower blood sugar; too much iron can destroy vitamin E, and vitamin E deficiency can lead to jaundice, which can affect the baby's brain." p. 65

HDD

Peat also advises to give yourself time to get entirely well if you have been sick or have had trauma-including surgery. These can bring on a chronic state of stress which depletes many nutrients. "A few months of extra nutrition and avoidance of new stress can restore the body's reserves." P. 66 "Nutrition for Women"

Iron Sickness
"...Natural sources of iron, such as red meat, wheat bran, wheat germ, or molasses, don't seem to have this destructive effect on vitaminE, so if an iron supplement is needed during pregnancy these foods would seem likely to lower the risk of a vitamin E deficiency and of dangers such as a miscarriage." P. 67

"Iron pills are often used to treat anemia. There are situations in which iron pills could make anemia worse, or even be the cause of it..................Since estrogen seems to oppose some of the functions of vitamin E, it would seem reasonable to consider the role of vitamin E in anemia, before giving a woman iron pills."

"Hypothyroidism is a common cause of anemia..." P.68

HDD

"For it is well established that pregnancy entails an increase in the need for thyroid hormone since new growth is taking place and the load on circulation is about 50 percent higher."

P. 130 "Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness" by Broda Barnes

OP
C

catan

Haagendazendien, thank you for these information.

Ismail

My baby was born healthy but with jaundice.

Since then I've had some hypothyroid symptoms like falling hair and cold hands & feet, while lab results on the low end of 'normal' for thyroid. Supplementing and diet has helped my overall well-being, and I would say I'm in much better health now than ever. I had infertility issues in my 20s.

My daily supplementing consists of aspirin 325mg, niacinamide 500mg, raw thyroid by natural sources, and 3 drops progest-e.

Now I'm trying to conceive again, and trying to find more information that could help me decide whether or not to continue with the above supplements during pregnancy?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals