Conception/Pregnancy Peating & Supplementing!

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
I have read pretty much all the threads related to pregnancy here! Whew. I must admit, my head is spinning a little. I thought I'd ask some more specific question here (I will be trying to conceive in about a year and I'd like to be eating right well before conception!)

I'm seeing that Progest-E/Vitamin E/Vitamin A as the most recommended during pregnancy.

1. Does Progest-E have enough E to eliminate the need for an additional Vit E supplement?
2. What forms of A are best for pregnancy? Or just stick to liver?

Also, I occasionally see mention of Folic Acid & Magnesium for pregnancy. Any thoughts?

THANK YOU! :)

OP
PeatInspired

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
OK I read more on the different forms of A, and I'm leaning towards just eating liver for pregnancy supplement. (Although I really love my estro-ban). Although there are pregnancy risks to not getting enough A as well.

I also read that folate and not folic acid is preferable for pregnancy. Plus most folate I probably get in my diet anyway.

jaguar43

1) Depends on your consumption of poly unsaturated fatty acids and your vitamin e requirements. Certain things can raise the need for vitamin E.

2) I think liver would be best, the question is will it be enough. Other vitamin A sources would be milk, eggs, cream, and butter. Ray Peat in Nutrition for Women said that Vitamin A (Along with vitamin E and magnesium) are important for maintain blood sugar during pregnancy. If you are conscious of your blood sugar and how you feel, then it should be enough. Usually it's best to get your vitamins from food.

I think folic acid is ok, but I would avoid it if it contains iron.

OP
PeatInspired

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
I'm pretty good at getting eggs/cheese/milk/butter but I often get acne and Seb dermatitis which makes me think that my A tends to be low. I'm currently working on eating more liver.

I'm pretty careful with pufas.

Thanks for the info!!!

jaguar43

I'm pretty good at getting eggs/cheese/milk/butter but I often get acne and Seb dermatitis which makes me think that my A tends to be low. I'm currently working on eating more liver.

I'm pretty careful with pufas.

Thanks for the info!!!

If you feel that you need more vitamin A, Ray Peat recommends nutrisorb A as a vitamin A supplement.

OP
PeatInspired

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
Thanks I've read that as well. Those studies showing over 10,000iu of A causing an increased risk of birth defects freaked me out. I already get over 5,000iu per day without counting dietary intake.

L

lollipop

Just saw this on email advice from Ray thread:

@Bumberleybee wrote:

Dear Ray,

Are any of the following supplements / foods ones which should be avoided if trying to be pregnant or during pregnancy?

Cynoplus
pregnenolone
Vitamin K
Vitamin D (on skin)
Vitamin A (on skin nutrisorb)
Niacinamide
Vitamin B1 and B5
Progest E
Coffee with milk and sugar

Ray Peat said:
No.

PakPik

Thanks I've read that as well. Those studies showing over 10,000iu of A causing an increased risk of birth defects freaked me out. I already get over 5,000iu per day without counting dietary intake.

Vitamin A needs to be in balance with the other liposoluble vitamins anyways, so I'd probably avoid any kind of megadoses just to avoid possible imbalances. Very high amounts of vitamin A can also block thyroid function. So it's good to keep those things in mind.

tseri12

Just saw this on email advice from Ray thread:

@Bumberleybee wrote:

Dear Ray,

Are any of the following supplements / foods ones which should be avoided if trying to be pregnant or during pregnancy?

Cynoplus
pregnenolone
Vitamin K
Vitamin D (on skin)
Vitamin A (on skin nutrisorb)
Niacinamide
Vitamin B1 and B5
Progest E
Coffee with milk and sugar

Ray Peat said:
No.
i was told that consuming liver while pregnant can be bad due to high levels of vitamin A. is this true?

youngsinatra

I‘d stay away from ruminants liver and supplemental vitamin A (both oral and topical) during pregnancy.

Everyone can get plenty of vitamin A from normal foods and deficiency is almost impossible.

I am someone who has diagnosed severe chronic vitamin A toxicity and I can just beg other people to stay away from retinol supplementation at any dosage.

tseri12

would desiccated beef liver capsules be okay? just because it contains lots of choline and copper too which is essential for pregnancy. i just don’t want to take a prenatal because it usually has DHA fish oils or fortified vitamins

youngsinatra

would desiccated beef liver capsules be okay? just because it contains lots of choline and copper too which is essential for pregnancy. i just don’t want to take a prenatal because it usually has DHA fish oils or fortified vitamins
I‘d rather eat red meat and pasture-raised eggs for choline.
Copper is in all foods of the plant-kingdom and deficiency is relatively rare, except if you eat very little vegetables, grains, starches, legumes or fruits or eat predominately processed foods.