Studies Related To The Dangers Of Carrageenan

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by ecstatichamster, Aug 16, 2016.

1. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0091674995700919

Some patients have had trouble with barium enemas thought to be from latex in the formula. This study shows it could be carrageenan instead of the latex theory:

Results: Carrageenan, a component of the barium enema solution, produced positive reactions to allergy skin test and RAST.

Gastrointestinal symptoms for which the patient was being investigated by the barium enema subsequently disappeared with a diet free of carrageenan.

Conclusions:
    Carrageenan is a previously unreported cause of anaphylaxis during barium enema. It is an allergen widely distributed in common foods and potentially could account for some symptoms related to milk products or baby formula.

2. Luna

Luna Member

Poligeenan - Wikipedia

Acid "low pH (~pH1.0)" and heat "(~90 °C / 194 °F) " over a long period of time "up to 6 h" on carrageenan promotes carrageenan to become poligeenan "(degraded carrageenan)";
    and poligeenan is thought to be correlated with carcinogens (Wikipedia, 1 Jul 2017).

If carrageenan is used in dairy products (as a stabilizer), and processed foods (as a stabilizer, filler...etc), and the human stomach is acidic, and the human gut takes time to excrete ingested food molecules, and the body is warm, then we should be asking 'Does carrageenan become poligeenan in vivo?'.

3. michael94

michael94 Member

Chyme is neutralized by alkaline bile right after it leaves the stomach.

4. Luna

Luna Member

But if the chyme is undigested, because the content is too much then does it pass through to the small and large intestine un neutralized by bile?

The carrageenan is also exposed to heat of packaging, and low acid in products like yogurt for a length of time on the shelf, would that break carrageenan?

There is an article that claims that poligeenan is found in carrageenan by 12 different carrageenan sources. https://www.cornucopia.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/CarageenanReport-2016.pdf

5. michael94

michael94 Member

I've seen studies showing carrageenan causes cancer/etc. when administered by injection but that's not the same as consuming it as a food additive. Food additive carrageenan: Part II: A critical review of carrageenan in vivo safety studies. - PubMed - NCBI

If I gave you a glass of milk intraveneously you would die so fast it is not even funny. So is milk carcinogenic? :smug: :):

There may be a certain set of gut environments where carrageenan is harmful, absolutely... but the problem with most of these studies is that they are not representative at all of how carrageenan is typically consumed. For example, people will often quote that force feeding carrageenan at 5% of an animal's diet causes intestinal ulcers... so what? It's like those aspirin studies that are designed to find problems with aspirin.

6. michael94

michael94 Member

What if I told you that virtually all food is capable of degrading into carcinogenic, liver-inflaming compounds in the intestines.

7. i swear i think that carrageenan was creating some black slime in my stomach lining. it is in everything....urgh.