Stubborn Vitamin D Levels

Beastmode

My wife had significantly low vitamin D levels last year:
7/25/17= 11 ng/mL

She started on 8000-10000 IU per day of vitamin D (Carlsons brand) immediately. We retested it on 12/05/18: 34 ng/mL.

What may be the reasoning for them not going up much higher after 17 months of supplementing vitamin d consistently?

I appreciate the ideas to improve the levels, but I'm also interested in understanding why they're not higher?

We're shooting for 50-60 range.

Maybe @haidut might have an idea?

Thank you

Cirion

May need higher dosage. Getting more sunlight certainly helps too.

At least for me, I have to dose something like 25,000 IU a day to get to 50+ ng/mL.

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

Interesting on the magnesium deficiency because we're constantly trying to get more in since she's hypothyroid.

Super dark roasted coffee and well cooked kale are the 2 main ways we try to get it in.

I emailed Ray about this, so I'll share on here for everyone's benefit.

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

I've heard that you can drink the water from the leafy greens that you boil, but is there a timeframe of boiling that is best to consume the liquid?

Basically, when we boil the leafy greens (i.e- kale,) we do it for an hour and I'm not sure if that liquid is safe to drink after that long.

vCity

Interesting on the magnesium deficiency because we're constantly trying to get more in since she's hypothyroid.

Super dark roasted coffee and well cooked kale are the 2 main ways we try to get it in.

I emailed Ray about this, so I'll share on here for everyone's benefit.

Not sure how you feel about supplements, but I would recommend haidut's Magnoil. Its really potent and fast acting.

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

Ray's response:

"I think thyroid and liver function are the main things that limit it."

Not sure of the answer to your query, but I was just reading the Vitamin D Council's webpage because I was also interested in supplementing Vitamin D, and came across this page which may be relevant:
Vitamin D and other vitamins and minerals:

"To get the most benefit from vitamin D, you must have other cofactors in your body. Vitamin D has a number of cofactors; the ones listed below are the most important.

• Magnesium
  • Vitamin K
  • Zinc
  • Boron
  • Vitamin A"
I don't know about boron (I've never seen it mentioned it any of Ray Peat's interviews when searching light.sx), but K, A, and magnesium are nutrients he has talked about a lot.

I have read that Vitamin K2 is important when supplementing with Vitamin D, so perhaps that is worth looking into. Thorne has a combo Vitamin D3/K2 product.

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

Not sure of the answer to your query, but I was just reading the Vitamin D Council's webpage because I was also interested in supplementing Vitamin D, and came across this page which may be relevant:
Vitamin D and other vitamins and minerals:

"To get the most benefit from vitamin D, you must have other cofactors in your body. Vitamin D has a number of cofactors; the ones listed below are the most important.

• Magnesium
  • Vitamin K
  • Zinc
  • Boron
  • Vitamin A"
I don't know about boron (I've never seen it mentioned it any of Ray Peat's interviews when searching light.sx), but K, A, and magnesium are nutrients he has talked about a lot.

I have read that Vitamin K2 is important when supplementing with Vitamin D, so perhaps that is worth looking into. Thorne has a combo Vitamin D3/K2 product.

I don't think Peat is a fan of Boron as a supplement. I think she's eating the amount of foods to get those cofactors, but I suspect she's not assimilating the nutrients very well, hence low thyroid. She was on K2 for months and she took it with her vitamin D.

Maybe it's our 1 year old who keeps waking her up throughout the night :)

fradon

My wife had significantly low vitamin D levels last year:
7/25/17= 11 ng/mL

She started on 8000-10000 IU per day of vitamin D (Carlsons brand) immediately. We retested it on 12/05/18: 34 ng/mL.

What may be the reasoning for them not going up much higher after 17 months of supplementing vitamin d consistently?

I appreciate the ideas to improve the levels, but I'm also interested in understanding why they're not higher?

We're shooting for 50-60 range.

Maybe @haidut might have an idea?

Thank you

issues with bile or gall bladder

or

too much vitamin A in all forms e

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals