SSRI increase risk of violent crime

haidut

Forum Supporter
Once again, the study apologetically tries to find an excuse for keeping SSRI in use, but the facts are unavoidable. SSRI use increases risk of violent crime.

http://www.psypost.org/2015/09/study-fi ... rime-37607

"...The result was an overall association between SSRI use and violent convictions (Hazard Ratio
=1.19, 95% CI: 1.08-1.32, p<0.001, absolute risk=1.0%). In age-stratified analysis, associations between SSRI use and convictions for violent crimes were significant for individuals aged 15 to 24 years (HR = 1.43, 95% CI 1.19-1.73, p < 0.001, absolute risk = 3.0%) but not for older individuals (e.g., age 25-34 (HR = 1.20, 95% CI 0.95-1.52, p = 0.125, absolute risk = 1.6%)). Increased risks were also found in individuals aged 15-24 years for violent arrests, non-violent convictions and arrests, non-fatal accidental injuries and emergency contacts for alcohol problems."

"...However, if these results are confirmed, warnings about the increased risk of violent behavior among young people taking SSRIs might be needed. However, clinicians must weigh the SSRI-associated increase in violent crime against SSRI-associated reduction of disability, hospitalization, and suicide."

tara

post 99934 However, clinicians must weigh the SSRI-associated increase in violent crime against SSRI-associated reduction of disability, hospitalization, and suicide.
I thought the association with SSRIs was increased suicide risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
tara said:
post 100049
post 99934 However, clinicians must weigh the SSRI-associated increase in violent crime against SSRI-associated reduction of disability, hospitalization, and suicide.
I thought the association with SSRIs was increased suicide risk.

Oh no, it actually goes well beyond that. SSRI have been known for some times to be linked to violent crime. It's just that the topic is not much researched officially for obvious reasons. Look at this thread for more info:
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=5914&p=70433
"...According to CCHRINT, there is abundant evidence proving a connection between psychotropic medications and violent crimes, and government officials are well aware of the connection."

There is also this lovely website:
http://ssristories.org/

I have not read all the stores, but it was well publicized that all the people who committed mass murders in the last few years - Fort Hood, Colorado, Connecticut (Sandy Hook), Navy Yard, etc were all taking some sort of SSRI at the time they started killing people. This really is not surprising given the antagonism between dopamine and serotonin and their opposite effects on behavior.

Last edited:

tara

haidut said:
post 100107
Oh no, it actually goes well beyond that. SSRI have been known for some times to be linked to violent crime.
I'm not doubting the link with violent crime. I was noting that the authors were comparing the risks of crime with the benefits of reduced suicide - and doubting that this benefit existed.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals