Sexual Experiences With Cyproheptadine?

Gametime

just got some cyproheptadine to help with eczema and sleep.

I've read that it lowers Testosterone etc.. is this not something to be worried about if only taking 0.5 - 2mg dose daily? The lowering of testosterone would only be temporary while taking cyproheptadine right? Wouldn't permanently lower T?
Also read about people feeling unproductive , that would not be permanent also right?
On a plus side I have also read some libido boosting benefits from some people in this forum from high doses of it!

I basically have been sleeping really bad for the past 5+ months so I'm sure I will greatly benefit from cyproheptadine.. what would be the maximum time to take it for on a daily basis at what dose?

Frankdee20

I've read that it lowers Testosterone etc.. is this not something to be worried about if only taking 0.5 - 2mg dose daily? The lowering of testosterone would only be temporary while taking cyproheptadine right? Wouldn't permanently lower T?
Also read about people feeling unproductive , that would not be permanent also right?
On a plus side I have also read some libido boosting benefits from some people in this forum from high doses of it!

I basically have been sleeping really bad for the past 5+ months so I'm sure I will greatly benefit from cyproheptadine.. what would be the maximum time to take it for on a daily basis at what dose?

I wish people could report if it effects premature ejaculation. Serotoninergic receptors are implicated in this.

Serotoninja

Where did you read it lowers T? Cypro is an estrogen antagonist, lowers prolactin in low doses without affecting dopamine and opposes serotonin and cortisol, it should raise T actually
http://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/cyproheptadine-as-a-fertility-drug-in-old-males.8057/
Cyproheptadine as a fertility drug in old males

dookie

Where did you read it lowers T? Cypro is an estrogen antagonist, lowers prolactin in low doses without affecting dopamine and opposes serotonin and cortisol, it should raise T actually
http://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/cyproheptadine-as-a-fertility-drug-in-old-males.8057/
Cyproheptadine as a fertility drug in old males

Have you used cyproheptadine yourself?

I have found that 0.5 mg of cypro will cause all the side-effects typical of high estrogen, high prolactin, and low testosterone. For example, it shrinks the testicles, enlarges the breasts and nipples (gyno), and does indeed totally lower libido to zero for a few days. You will find studies too that cypro increases prolactin (just search the forum, these have been posted)

I still don't understand how people here are running doses of 1 mg or higher. Even peat recommends something like 0.1 mg now, and I don't really think he is so much fond of the drug any more.

OP
G

Gametime

Have you used cyproheptadine yourself?

I have found that 0.5 mg of cypro will cause all the side-effects typical of high estrogen, high prolactin, and low testosterone. For example, it shrinks the testicles, enlarges the breasts and nipples (gyno), and does indeed totally lower libido to zero for a few days. You will find studies too that cypro increases prolactin (just search the forum, these have been posted)

I still don't understand how people here are running doses of 1 mg or higher. Even peat recommends something like 0.1 mg now, and I don't really think he is so much fond of the drug any more.
I haven't tried it yet. For myself I think I will benefit massively from it.. not having sleep for 5+ months along with itchy skin has been horrendous.. even a few days of relief..

Would all them side effects only be for a few days? They wouldn't be permanent right?

jyb

Cyproheptadine and mirtazapine certainly can have its uses, I find. For example, bad insomnia where you just need a reset. Dosage and time of day have major impacts on side effects. Side effects can even change over time - it wouldn't be surprising to feel less side effects from 30mg after a build up than 0.5mg the first time. Side effects, positive or negative: sleepiness, mood, libido, productivity at work...

Tianeptine, metergoline, lisuride, etc can also have major impact on sleep and their side effects differ greatly. People more commonly turn to cyproheptadine and mirtazapine because of the quick knock out effects, but it doesn't mean they are the best tools for all cases of insomnia.

Doctors more commonly prescribe mirtazapine, diazepam, zopiclone, trazodone, etc for insomnia often because of this knock out effect. However studies show that they can different effects on deep sleep phases. I would not want to take a drug which has a negative effect on sleep repair...

Last edited:
it didn't cause me any of these symptoms at about 1mg per day. I took it for about 2 weeks or 3 weeks. Nothing like that. Believe me I would have noticed.

PhilParma

I wish people could report if it effects premature ejaculation. Serotoninergic receptors are implicated in this.
I have used it before sex; it did seem to make me last longer. But I need to experiment further and acquire a larger sample size. :smug

OP
G

Gametime

Cyproheptadine and mirtazapine certainly can have its uses, I find. For example, bad insomnia where you just need a reset. Dosage and time of day have major impacts on side effects. Side effects can even change over time - it wouldn't be surprising to feel less side effects from 30mg after a build up than 0.5mg the first time. Side effects, positive or negative: sleepiness, mood, libido, productivity at work...

Tianeptine, metergoline, lisuride, etc can also have major impact on sleep and their side effects differ greatly. People more commonly turn to cyproheptadine and mirtazapine because of the quick knock out effects, but it doesn't mean they are the best tools for all cases of insomnia.

Doctors more commonly prescribe mirtazapine, diazepam, zopiclone, trazodone, etc for insomnia often because of this knock out effect. However studies show that they can different effects on deep sleep phases. I would not want to take a drug which has a negative effect on sleep repair...
So you think maybe cyproheptadine can cause these side effects but all are only temporary?

blob69

Cypro without a doubt has positive effects on my libido. It is used to treat post-SSRI sexual dysfunction.

"Cyproheptadine is an antihistamine with antiserotonergic properties that has been reported for over a decade to reverse antidepressant-induced sexual dysfunction. Only case reports and case series attest to its efficacy.[13,42,43,44] Effective doses range from 2mg to 16mg. In the most recent and largest case series, 12 of 25 patients described improvement in sexual function when treated with cyproheptadine (mean dose, 8.6mg).[13] Anorgasmia is the sexual side effect most often reported to be alleviated by cyproheptadine. Cyproheptadine is effective when taken either on an as-needed basis (typically, 1 to 2 hours before intercourse) or on a regular basis."
Medscape: Medscape Access

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals