Realistic Expectation To Become "Sugar Adapted"

OP
J

Jsaute21

I can eat starch every now and then but if I try eating it on a daily basis I get constipation and endotoxin symptoms. If by sugar adapted you mean not getting the insulin coma after meal I'd say it took me about a year.

This is certainly part of it. The other part is how long did it take you to go 4-5 or so hours comfortably in between meals?

Philomath

One of my biggest struggles in the past was constipation.

Keys for me were cascara before bed, digestive enzymes with meals, and not dropping fat intake too low.

For what it's worth, after a few months of doing the above (low fiber, enzymes, and cascara), my gut health and digestion is practically perfect and runs like clockwork. .

@tyler , if you haven't already done this in another thread, could you detail what this looks like for you? Thanks!

tyler

@tyler , if you haven't already done this in another thread, could you detail what this looks like for you? Thanks!
Most definitely. At the time, I did
780mg of cascara at night (took about two weeks for my gut to normalize on cascara)
2-4 digestive enzymes with meals (enzymedica digest, is what i used)
Focused on keeping my fiber pretty low and limiting raw food. Still ate some potatoes, but I was cooking them super thoroughly (Fruits too). Even the raw carrot would throw things off. Also eating meals, and not constantly snacking- not sure how much that helped though.
Whenever I ate too low in fat, stools would be realllly pale. Probably lack of bile. So I switched to regular yogurt, fatty/gelatinous meats, and that resolved immediately. I also think the gut protective aspects of saturated fat played a role.

I think by doing the above, I gave my digestive system a break and it had the opportunity to repair itself. :rolleyes:

The book "The Fiber Menace" helped me.

Anyway- I did that for awhile (cascara for almost half a year, enzymes came into play later on), and noticed I was becoming "too" regular. So I dropped the cascara, and shortly after the enzymes, and everything remains good. I'm able to eat any foods/macro ratio, for the most part. If I do have a setback, I just take a dose of cascara and all is well again the next day.

bmoores

Baking soda can slow digestion, especially with protein. I can only use baking soda alone or with sugary foods, not foods that need acid. I prefer 10-15mg Diamox, a nibble of a pill. Have you thought about eating more calories? I like to add a glass of milk here or there.

I'm starch free and regular like clockwork after each meal. At least one meal a day is really a series of snacks and I eat between meals, 4000-6000 calories. Fiber intake and stool volume is usually low, except after exercise days when volume increases. I can go with or without a carrot, though the carrots seem to stimulate things more and add bulk, and give the teeth a workout.

I consider some solidifying of the stool a good sign that the colon is mostly bacteria free and able to remove all the water. I can tell bacteria's acting up if things get softer. I'm looking for ways to improve my OJ's fiber so I never have to use antibiotic, as pasteurization destroys the pectin methyl esterase.

Two 12.5mg doses of Naltrexone spaced 3 months increased bowel frequency, improved brain function, and led to a bit higher calorie need (recommend lower doses 1-4mg, some get hypoglycemia/stress/fog at >10mg). It's a glycolysis inhibitor like CO2/diamox, so helped me lower lactic acid, require less dietary fat, and better burn sugar.

sladerunner69

@Jsaute21 Wow that's remarkable. You became an entirely new species? I am s proud to know one of the first ever transspecies people to walk the planet, I know this is jsut the tip of the iceberg and the world is forever changed for the better.

Anyways joking aside, the time it took to become sugar adapted for me was maybe a month or two. I was only 20 at the time so perhaps that helped em adapt quickly, although I was deeply afflicted with finasteride sides. Using aspirn adn coffee and especially niacinimide it should not take very long to become adapted, I would think. Nowadays I tend to burn sugar too fast and it becomes burdensome to have to eat all the time and be hungry so much, so when I discoverred famatodine could extend glycogen stores I was relieved and began taking 20 mg twice daily.

DaveFoster

@Jsaute21 Wow that's remarkable. You became an entirely new species? I am s proud to know one of the first ever transspecies people to walk the planet
Indeed; his gender pronouns are zebrah and zebro.

OP
J

Jsaute21

Indeed; his gender pronouns are zebrah and zebro.
Haha. Glad I'm being punished for this.

Yeah, I should have worded myself better. I do think I am sugar adapted, but glycogen stores are still a concern. The goal is to be able to go 3/4/5 hours without eating during the day, with sustained warmth.

DaveFoster

Haha. Glad I'm being punished for this.

Yeah, I should have worded myself better. I do think I am sugar adapted, but glycogen stores are still a concern. The goal is to be able to go 3/4/5 hours without eating during the day, with sustained warmth.
Unless you eat a fatty meal, five hours is pushing it. I can usually go one or two. My "glycogen storage" isn't the problem, as I can sleep fine. With a high metabolic rate, you need to keep eating.

OP
J

Jsaute21

@DaveFoster I agree with you in a sense. But i also find that many healthy people can go hours without eating, and not have it affect their mental or physical performance. To me, that is high metabolism, and high performance. The real world often doesn't offer snack breaks in a busy day. Being efficient and productive involves being adaptable and not being high maintenance, in my opinion.

If you look at the world's most influential/successful people, they generally aren't having to eat every 2 hours to foster (like the usage?) their high metabolism. When they get hungry, they eat, and they digest that meal well.

DaveFoster

@DaveFoster I agree with you in a sense. But i also find that many healthy people can go hours without eating, and not have it affect their mental or physical performance. To me, that is high metabolism, and high performance. The real world often doesn't offer snack breaks in a busy day. Being efficient and productive involves being adaptable and not being high maintenance, in my opinion.

If you look at the world's most influential/successful people, they generally aren't having to eat every 2 hours to foster (like the usage?) their high metabolism. When they get hungry, they eat, and they digest that meal well.
Well, it really doesn't matter what they can do if you can't do the same.

I visited a bulge bracket banking firm, and I asked my mentor the key to his success; he said, "Perseverance, service to others, and I eat a lot of sugar (he said he had a sugar 'addiction')."

J

James IV

"Successful" people these days are often running on caffeine and stress hormones. Don't mistake sympathetic nervous system dominance with a healthy metabolism.

If you don't want to eat often, you generally have to eat more fat.

OP
J

Jsaute21

"Successful" people these days are often running on caffeine and stress hormones. Don't mistake sympathetic nervous system dominance with a healthy metabolism.

If you don't want to eat often, you generally have to eat more fat.

@James IV @DaveFoster Agreed on both fronts. I don't feel good on meals that are too high in fat either. Last night i eat a whole carton of Haagan Daaz ice cream and felt terrrible afterwards. (I love ice cream, but the amount of fat was excessive in one sitting.)

Definitely feel better on Protein/Sugar Meals.

J

James IV

@James IV @DaveFoster Agreed on both fronts. I don't feel good on meals that are too high in fat either. Last night i eat a whole carton of Haagan Daaz ice cream and felt terrrible afterwards. (I love ice cream, but the amount of fat was excessive in one sitting.)

Definitely feel better on Protein/Sugar Meals.

You ate a massive amount of energy (sugar/fat) with practically no protein, and very little nutritional value to help utilize that energy. I think it's tough to blame feeling bad exclusively on the fat.

Of course listen to your body. But animal fat/salt are highly unlikely to be CAUSING digestive issues. They may be harder to digest because you already have issues though. Humans have a complete arsenal of enzymes to digest animal protein and fat, very few for plant carbohydrate, and practically none for plant fiber. I think it's important this be taken into consideration when working on digestive issues.

Philomath

Most definitely. At the time, I did
780mg of cascara at night (took about two weeks for my gut to normalize on cascara)
2-4 digestive enzymes with meals (enzymedica digest, is what i used)
Focused on keeping my fiber pretty low and limiting raw food. Still ate some potatoes, but I was cooking them super thoroughly (Fruits too). Even the raw carrot would throw things off. Also eating meals, and not constantly snacking- not sure how much that helped though.
Whenever I ate too low in fat, stools would be realllly pale. Probably lack of bile. So I switched to regular yogurt, fatty/gelatinous meats, and that resolved immediately. I also think the gut protective aspects of saturated fat played a role.

I think by doing the above, I gave my digestive system a break and it had the opportunity to repair itself. :rolleyes:

The book "The Fiber Menace" helped me.

Anyway- I did that for awhile (cascara for almost half a year, enzymes came into play later on), and noticed I was becoming "too" regular. So I dropped the cascara, and shortly after the enzymes, and everything remains good. I'm able to eat any foods/macro ratio, for the most part. If I do have a setback, I just take a dose of cascara and all is well again the next day.
@tyler, thanks for the ideas. I have cascara but I have not taken it regularly. I've been thinking about fixing potential gut issues with antibiotics, sulfer and turpentine. Now I may try to increase regularity to see if things improve like they did for you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom