Realistic Expectation To Become "Sugar Adapted"

Jsaute21

Folks,

I have made some great progress over the past couple of months in become a healthier species. However, after recently cutting back on starches, my pulse has been low and bowel movements have hardened and lessened in frequency. Through research, it seems rather conclusive that starches with the exception of potatoes and rice are detrimental to our energy metabolism. (I am not a nazi, i eat pasta and pizza once in a while.)

Regardless, how long did it take many of you to become truly "sugar adapted?" I know it ranges, but i guess i am a bit surprised i am not quite there yet. @tca300 @DaveFoster @Stryker @Such_Saturation @haidut @sladerunner69

Any additional tips for expedited ways on getting there would be welcomed.

T

tca300

It took several months of no starch before I didn't feel like I was on a low carb diet. My liver was really messed up in the beginning, so I suspect that messed with my ability to properly use fructose ( since the liver is the primary organ that processes fructose ). Also, fruit raises metabolism more than starch, so eating the same ( or less ) calories from fruit rather than starch would be equivalent to cutting calories.
Are you eating whole fruit, or just drinking juice?
Juice isn't good for bowel transit or bulk.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Folks,

I have made some great progress over the past couple of months in become a healthier species. However, after recently cutting back on starches, my pulse has been low and bowel movements have hardened and lessened in frequency. Through research, it seems rather conclusive that starches with the exception of potatoes and rice are detrimental to our energy metabolism. (I am not a nazi, i eat pasta and pizza once in a while.)

Regardless, how long did it take many of you to become truly "sugar adapted?" I know it ranges, but i guess i am a bit surprised i am not quite there yet. @tca300 @DaveFoster @Stryker @Such_Saturation @haidut @sladerunner69

Any additional tips for expedited ways on getting there would be welcomed.

I can eat starch every now and then but if I try eating it on a daily basis I get constipation and endotoxin symptoms. If by sugar adapted you mean not getting the insulin coma after meal I'd say it took me about a year.

OP
J

Jsaute21

You're a helpful dude @tca300. That is exactly how i have been feeling. There are days when it is fine. Just had a reasonable movement after some "fairlife" 2% with sugar and salt, with some pomegrante. It's funny you mention juice, as drinking pomegrante, or other fruit juices is where i really noticed the dissapointing lack of transit. I thought it was more based on my upping of cheese, but the juice seems to have really slowed things down. I also have been drinking a lot of coffee. 3-4 cups a day at least. This amount worked well for me with starch, but has been an adjustment on the sugar/protein diet. How were you able to improve the liver function & fructose tolerance?

For some more context: here is a somewhat typical day of eating for me. Any comments are welcomed. Side note:I have had to ramp down strength workouts, which kills me, but i know deep down if i am not healthy enough to produce solid bowel movements (1-2X a day) than i am not in a state that welcomes intensive training at the moment.

Wake up at 6:15. Get in some red light for 5-10 minutes, brush my teeth, get ready.
6:45: Wash down some OJ with baking soda & 2 eggs cooked in butter and coconut oil. Usually have a cappucino with 2% added sugar/salt about 30 minutes after.
8:00: Another small coffee with 2%Milk, salt/sugar.
10:00: Some fairlife milk with some form of fruit.
12:30/1:00: Either chipotle bowl (1 scoop white rice, steak, cheese, Mexican Coke.) or cheese sticks and a coke or cottage cheese and a coke.
5:30/6: some form of meat cooked in butter, well cooked kale or onions & a mexican coke or pepsi.
9:30: entire pint of haagan daaz.

OP
J

Jsaute21

I can eat starch every now and then but if I try eating it on a daily basis I get constipation and endotoxin symptoms. If by sugar adapted you mean not getting the insulin coma after meal I'd say it took me about a year.

I mean properly satiated & warm at the result of sugar. Essentially sustained warmth. I feel great right after, but pulse drops fairly quickly & liver glycogen storage isn't ideal yet.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I mean properly satiated & warm at the result of sugar. Essentially sustained warmth. I feel great right after, but pulse drops fairly quickly & liver glycogen storage isn't ideal yet.

I get that feeling any time I eat well and I am not under stress. It started happening after I found way to limit persistent annoyance at work. The stress factor is hard to overestimate. Any time you exert yourself to the point rushing digestion suffers. Most animals go through great lengths to avoid disturbance when eating, and for a good reason. Even a mild stress will cause an animal to forgo eating, even if hungry. I think they know that digestion shuts down under stress. Glycogen storage is also hindered. If you feel warm after eating in the afternoon and even a little sleepy then you are probably in a good spot. Stress hormones are lowest in early afternoon.

tyler

One of my biggest struggles in the past was constipation.

It took me anywhere from 2-4 weeks to become "regular" on a low fiber diet. Keys for me were cascara before bed, digestive enzymes with meals, and not dropping fat intake too low.

The book "Fiber Menace" really helped me. He recommends lowering fiber gradually, as opposed to dropping it all at once. Maybe you could try that.

For what it's worth, after a few months of doing the above (low fiber, enzymes, and cascara), my gut health and digestion is practically perfect and runs like clockwork. I now eat starch/fruits/veggies daily and any macro ratio without any issues. I also don't need to take any of the supplements.

OP
J

Jsaute21

Valid points all around. Did you order cascara from health natura @tyler?

@haidut i agree. I know that feeling in regards to warmth in the afternoon.

T

tca300

I think its a fiber issue. Eating more " safe " fibers I think will help. As far as lowered pulse, it could be lowered adrenaline, or most likely, lowered metabolism, because the fruit sugar isn't being used properly to help your liver turn t4 into t3.
With myself it was consistently eating fruit, and more protein, while eliminating PUFA. After several months things really started to change, and the fruit seemed to be even better than starch ever did.
I think your experiencing what most do when they cut carbs, except your not cutting them, they are just not being used properly. Since most fruit is about 50% glucose, it would be like cutting your typical carbohydrate intake in half ( provided similar calories of fruit are replacing the starch ). Over time if PUFA is kept low, protein high, and coffee ( caffeine ) is consumed, I think your ability to use the fructose will improve, and eventually be able to utilize it to its fullest extent. Also in my opinion, plain sugar should be avoided. It lacks minerals than are very helpful in processing it.
Maybe estimate how many carbohydrates you were getting when eating starch, and try to at least match that carb for carb now with fruit, if that makes sense.

Waynish

There's a lot of dietary biodiversity, it seems. I can eat lots of starch, lots of simpler sugars, and pretty large amounts of saturated fat with each of those - and I feel energetic. But some tiny pieces of gluten and I'm not well again for days... On the point of the topic, I wouldn't think of us as "sugar adapted" or not. When I give low carb folks a little sugar their energy levels increase dramatically - but I don't know why they always end up breaking their strict diets around me :P I would cut down on sugars that are packaged without nutrients... Meaning: eat fruit with and between meals and try to make sure you're not deficient in nutrients. Also note that when "cutting back" on something, people are often not getting as much solid food and calories as they think they are - so careful you're eating enough solid calories.

Orion

It took several months of no starch before I didn't feel like I was on a low carb diet. My liver was really messed up in the beginning, so I suspect that messed with my ability to properly use fructose ( since the liver is the primary organ that processes fructose ). Also, fruit raises metabolism more than starch, so eating the same ( or less ) calories from fruit rather than starch would be equivalent to cutting calories.
Are you eating whole fruit, or just drinking juice?
Juice isn't good for bowel transit or bulk.

Curious if you had sleep issues when liver health was subpar? if so, was it time on zero starch/PUFA that got you sleeping better or something you tweaked.

I am able to get 6hrs without waking, but want to increase this, I've been 5.5months on zero starch and unsaturated fat, so seen big improvements.

Been using some white sugar, I think I will try to cut back.

T

tca300

@Orion I have been lucky enough to never really have sleep issues. Although I sleep much deeper now, so Im sure I wasn't completely rested before changing my diet.
Just make sure if you can to replace the removed table sugar with another quality carbohydrate source, or you might notice some extra stress.

OP
J

Jsaute21

I think its a fiber issue. Eating more " safe " fibers I think will help. As far as lowered pulse, it could be lowered adrenaline, or most likely, lowered metabolism, because the fruit sugar isn't being used properly to help your liver turn t4 into t3.
With myself it was consistently eating fruit, and more protein, while eliminating PUFA. After several months things really started to change, and the fruit seemed to be even better than starch ever did.
I think your experiencing what most do when they cut carbs, except your not cutting them, they are just not being used properly. Since most fruit is about 50% glucose, it would be like cutting your typical carbohydrate intake in half ( provided similar calories of fruit are replacing the starch ). Over time if PUFA is kept low, protein high, and coffee ( caffeine ) is consumed, I think your ability to use the fructose will improve, and eventually be able to utilize it to its fullest extent. Also in my opinion, plain sugar should be avoided. It lacks minerals than are very helpful in processing it.
Maybe estimate how many carbohydrates you were getting when eating starch, and try to at least match that carb for carb now with fruit, if that makes sense.

Definitely makes sense. I appreciate the feedback. Were you taking thyroid when this process started to improve for you? Also, which fruits do you find particularly useful? I know Peat advocates orange juice, grapes, berries etc.

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut Do you still get the negative reactions from starch when consuming fiber such as carrot/mushroom/bamboo daily?

No, only from bread, rice, pasta and other grains. Potatoes are hit or miss, but usually better than the grains. Carrots and other insoluble fiber do not give me issues.

raypeatclips

No, only from bread, rice, pasta and other grains. Potatoes are hit or miss, but usually better than the grains. Carrots and other insoluble fiber do not give me issues.

Sorry i meant do you get issues when you have fiber on the same day? Having fiber 2x a day I've not noticed anything negative from starches i don't think.

Pet Peeve

I felt a significant change when I went fat free for a week, skimmed milk and oj. After it was easier to just chug sugar, like less uncomfortable body feeling, and it felt like I got some junk out of the body. My finger nails turned more pink instead of purple. It was very hard to go fat free though, I was dizzy and run down, hope I steered my body away from ketosis a bit. I don't have the posibility of going fat free again right now, work exams etc.

T

tca300

@Jsaute21 I have never regularly taken thyroid, just off and on. I drink orange juice mostly, but I do really enjoy grapes whenever I see some good looking ones.
Also I dont think Ray preferes berries. I asked him about blueberries a few months ago and he said he thought the unavoidable seeds could be a problem.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom