Pulp in commercial OJ

Filip1993

I know Peat recommends pulp-free OJ. I don't have access to good oranges all the time so store-bought OJ is convenient. However, I buy flash pasteurized OJ but the label doesn't say pulp-free. I tried to strain it through a cheese cloth but there was almost no fiber at all. So my question is, where is the fiber? It seems to digest fine, I'm just a bit confused about the pulp.

pboy

standard OJ is strained, usually through metal mesh so there is usually some pulp left, even in labeled pulp free. The ones that have added pulp ('with pulp') they usually purposely add back in a set amount of pulp after it has already been fully strained. The only way to get 100% of the fiber out is to strain through paper or something extrememly fine

OP
F

Filip1993

"Plantains are very proinflammatory, with a high serotonin content; commercial orange juice, especially if it doesn't separate when standing for a few hours, can produce bowel irritation by supporting bacterial growth because of the suspended modified fiber, and watermelons that aren't perfectly ripe have enough starch to cause problems, though very ripe watermelon is safe."- RP

I'm just thinking about this RP quote, should the orange juice separate?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If the OJ does not separate then most likely they used an emulsifier.

OP
F

Filip1993

Hmm, I don't think they add anything to the juice. It's seems like a great company and it's very expensive. I feel great drinking it too. I think Dan is doing some research on the company right now. I'll continue drinking it for now.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Fresh squeezed orange juice separates. I wonder how they stop that from happening?

OP
F

Filip1993

What does separating even mean when it comes to orange juice? Haha, maybe they add something... Hopefully Dan will get an answer from the company. I don't like drinking things that might be unsafe...

OP
F

Filip1993

http://www.voelkeljuice.de/range/
Here is the company.

"A fruit juice is a juice made from fruit – 100 percent fruit, that is. Not all fruit juices are always freshly squeezed, however. But natural, organic fruit juices from Voelkel are! The fully ripe fruits are freshly pressed and the juice is immediately bottled – without adding sugar or other additives. And without reconstituting concentrates, i.e. water and flavours are not extracted or added back in again later on. Which makes our fruit juices 100% pure, not-from-concentrate juices."

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
It means all the orange juice stuff sinks to the bottom, and then there is a clear layer of water at the top. It's quite distinct and cannot be missed.

mt_dreams

If you can tolerate the oj without any stomach issues, I wouldn't worry much about the possible fiber in the juice. Companies are not allowed to add water to fruit juice and still call it 100% fresh squeezed, so the only way to increase volume (aka profit) is to emulsify the fiber into the juice. This also saves the company the cost & effort to discard the fiber, so it's win-win for them. Keep in mind that vitamin C is heat sensitive, so if the juice is pasteurized, it either doesn't have the accurate amount of vitamin C, or has had it synthetically added to bring it back to normal levels. OJ producers are allowed by the fda to add both sugar & flavor packets to the oj without having to put it on the label, but I am not sure if synthetic vitamin C falls in that category as well.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
With all the being said. I drink concentrate oj and seem to have less problems with it then fresh squeezed.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Filip1993 said:
Okey, then it separates I guess. Here's a picture, not the best picture but some stuff sinks to the bottom:
http://imgur.com/VGnElBW&3z8Cwlh
Well yeh chunks are going to sink to the bottom. Question is, how does the top look?

Dan W

Filip1993 said:
I think Dan is doing some research on the company right now. I'll continue drinking it for now.
For everyone's reference, they said they do not use flavor packs, BPA, or enzymes (the oranges are "direct pressed").

OP
F

Filip1993

The label of this juice doesn't say pulp free, which I want.. If I strain it at home, do I drink pulp free juice then? (the juice is pasteurized). Or is it something special with the pulp in pasteurized juices? Haha I'm very confused, excuse me for being stupid.

mt_dreams

Filip1993 said:
The label of this juice doesn't say pulp free, which I want.. If I strain it at home, do I drink pulp free juice then? (the juice is pasteurized). Or is it something special with the pulp in pasteurized juices? Haha I'm very confused, excuse me for being stupid.

When you fresh squeeze oranges, the fiber separates from the juice, so it's easy to see. This is not always the case for store bought pasteurized. Ray has mentioned that sometimes the pulp in oj causes irritation to some peoples stomach. If it's not causing you any problems, don't fret about it. As a precautionary measure, you can strain the store bought juice to see if you remove anymore pulp, drink the liquid discard the pulp.

There's not much difference in the pulp from pasteurized. the big difference (as Ray has mentioned) is when companies modify the pulp to blend into the liquid, thus making it look like you are drinking pure liquid, but you are really drinking liquid & pulp. If you are trying to avoid pulp, it would probably be advantageous to avoid drinking juice made by companies using this practice.

OP
F

Filip1993

mt_dreams said:
Filip1993 said:

When you fresh squeeze oranges, the fiber separates from the juice, so it's easy to see. This is not always the case for store bought pasteurized. Ray has mentioned that sometimes the pulp in oj causes irritation to some peoples stomach. If it's not causing you any problems, don't fret about it. As a precautionary measure, you can strain the store bought juice to see if you remove anymore pulp, drink the liquid discard the pulp.

There's not much difference in the pulp from pasteurized. the big difference (as Ray has mentioned) is when companies modify the pulp to blend into the liquid, thus making it look like you are drinking pure liquid, but you are really drinking liquid & pulp. If you are trying to avoid pulp, it would probably be advantageous to avoid drinking juice made by companies using this practice.

Thanks for your answer, I guess I have to email the company and ask if they modify the pulp. They don't use flavor packs, enzymes and is "direct pressed" according to Dan but I guess they can still modify the pulp...

OP
F

Filip1993

Mittir said:
You can try coffee filter to see if it removes some fiber.

That is actually a very good idea, I'm going to strain my fresh squeezed with a coffee filter too and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the tip.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals