Pulp In Orange Juice

Nina

Since pulp is a problem in OJ, and companies use enzymes to remove it, which we don't want, and that they use flavor packets to add, well, flavor back, would it make sense to buy full pulp juice, and strain it carefully?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:bump2

tara

I don't know that it's ideal, but that's what I usually do: buy pulpy juice and strain it. I put it through a seive which probably doesn't get all the finest solids out, but it removes a significant amount.

PeatMonster

I might be very confused about this, but my impression was that for commercial orange juice the normal process is to filter the pulp from all the juice. Then pulp is added back to the varieties which are advertised as containing pulp. The enzymes that Peat refers to are used to break down the pulp in a subset of "pulp-containing" orange juices. Its not the case that pulp-free orange juice has broken down pulp in it.

Additionally, I remember the varieties that used to use the enzyme method were advertised as "creamy" orange juice and were very different in texture from even regular pulp-containing orange juice. I also haven't seen any of those varieties in like 5 years.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals