Plants Emit Airborne Ultrasound "scream" If Being Stressed Or Damaged

Stressed plants show altered phenotypes, including changes in color, smell, and shape. Yet, the possibility that plants emit airborne sounds when stressed – similarly to many animals – has not been investigated. Here we show, to our knowledge for the first time, that stressed plants emit airborne sounds that can be recorded remotely, both in acoustic chambers and in greenhouses. We recorded ∼65 dBSPL ultrasonic sounds 10 cm from tomato and tobacco plants, implying that these sounds could be detected by some organisms from up to several meters away. We developed machine learning models that were capable of distinguishing between plant sounds and general noises, and identifying the condition of the plants – dry, cut, or intact – based solely on the emitted sounds. Our results suggest that animals, humans, and possibly even other plants, could use sounds emitted by a plant to gain information about the plant’s condition. More investigation on plant bioacoustics in general and on sound emission in plants in particular may open new avenues for understanding plants and their interactions with the environment, and it may also have a significant impact on agriculture.

Plants emit informative airborne sounds under stress

Regina

Stressed plants show altered phenotypes, including changes in color, smell, and shape. Yet, the possibility that plants emit airborne sounds when stressed – similarly to many animals – has not been investigated. Here we show, to our knowledge for the first time, that stressed plants emit airborne sounds that can be recorded remotely, both in acoustic chambers and in greenhouses. We recorded ∼65 dBSPL ultrasonic sounds 10 cm from tomato and tobacco plants, implying that these sounds could be detected by some organisms from up to several meters away. We developed machine learning models that were capable of distinguishing between plant sounds and general noises, and identifying the condition of the plants – dry, cut, or intact – based solely on the emitted sounds. Our results suggest that animals, humans, and possibly even other plants, could use sounds emitted by a plant to gain information about the plant’s condition. More investigation on plant bioacoustics in general and on sound emission in plants in particular may open new avenues for understanding plants and their interactions with the environment, and it may also have a significant impact on agriculture.

Plants emit informative airborne sounds under stress
Cool! thx

boris

Well, plants want you to eat their fruit :). They just scream if you bite into the leaves.

OP
methylenewhite

Grapelander

I heard the plant scream. I came into work at 5:00 am and was the only one there. I kept hearing a very high pitched alarm sound.
I finally got up - went over a couple rows of cubicles to see what it was.
I saw a plant that was dried out and desperately needed water; and that is where the sounds was coming from.
So I did water the plant; but had to wonder about all the people that walked by and did not notice.

opethfeldt

I heard the plant scream. I came into work at 5:00 am and was the only one there. I kept hearing a very high pitched alarm sound.
I saw a plant that was dried out and desperately needed water; and that is where the sounds was coming from.
So I did water the plant; but had to wonder about all the people that walked by and did not notice.
Poor hearing. Or perhaps you're just exceptionally empathetic.

Regina

:):

Atman

Veganism is murder!
How can you be a good person without being a fruitarian?!

Philomath

CLASH

@Philomath

Oh Boy, sign me up for some flask steaks... lol

On a side note, where I am skirt steak has gone from $8/lb to $26/lb... The crackdown is serious. They are going to price us out.

Philomath

@Philomath

Oh Boy, sign me up for some flask steaks... lol

On a side note, where I am skirt steak has gone from $8/lb to $26/lb... The crackdown is serious. They are going to price us out.
I guess we should start making/storing pemmican or jerkey!

Inaut

I guess we should start making/storing pemmican or jerkey!
Move to the country/grow your own or find a farmer and buy half a cow. Freeze the meat.... They are pricing us out of every market... "You will own nothing and be hungry"

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals