Peat + Old School Bodybuilding? An Experimental Quest

Risingfire

Peat talked about a guy that used 1g of progesterone for 5-6 months and also 50mcg of T3 twice daily without cycling to resolve severe liver destruction. He didn't cycle and perhaps didn't need to cycle, so the jury is out. If someone loses sensitivity, then taking off for a while might help to regain sensitivity.
This spurred me to to try a decent amount of progesterone daily. The positive side effect has been good sleep and more stable blood sugar playing sports and intense workouts. It's probably inhibiting my weight loss but I'll take it

Hans

Forum Supporter
This spurred me to to try a decent amount of progesterone daily. The positive side effect has been good sleep and more stable blood sugar playing sports and intense workouts. It's probably inhibiting my weight loss but I'll take it
How much are you taking now?

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

I wouldn't compare Brignole to Jaquish. Jaquish is a salesman with an OK, but way overpriced product IMO. The X3 Bar is not optimal training for hypertrophy but he argues it's the best referring to studies that don't support his claim! Not saying you can't get results with the X3 bar, it's better than nothing but I don't like the dishonest sales tactics.
Fair enough. I'll look into Brignole's stuff a little more.
Some of what didn't feel right for me about old-school BB was the amount of systemic fatigue and injury risk in certain exercises like squat and deadlift. Also, certain exercises like upright row, overhead pressing in general, and the pullover to stretch the thoracic spine would leave me with nagging pains. I now have a better understanding of why.
Interesting...I totally get the systemic fatigue thing, doing so many barbell compound movements can feel very tiring!

Did you ever try the behind-the-neck press? I could see how that could be a risky exercise. No idea how the old school guys did 300 pounds on that one...

Loving the pullover so far, however. I guess everyone is different, so best to listen to your body!

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Update 26

(Yesterday, May 26th)

Training: rest day. Didn't do any direct core work, just some more Turkish get-up practice. Lots of walking too.

Kind of in line with a quote from this article: "it's far better to do three or four get-ups with alternate hands than spend valuable gym time doing countless situps." Yep - I'd rather do some get-ups in my backyard than spend a nice day in the gym!

Nutrition: Ran out of StressNon (progesterone) a few days ago. Since being off of it, I've realized how much it'd been holding back my libido. Apparently all the calories are raising my T. Should be getting some more StressNon in a day or two - thankfully lol. Still taking 3-4 drops of CortiNon each day.

In other news, ate all the standard foods. A gallon of whole milk, lots of coffee, beef, etc. Going off of carrots for a little while. 5000 calories.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Yeah, i do think the ABDUCTION Machine provides Speical Benefit to Squatting. First off, it Trains the Glute Medius very Good, which often get neglected. And second, you train your Body by Helping to Training the Knee's to Stay out (if you know what i mean).
Sounds good, I'm going to try this!

Yeah, I know what you mean. On heavy squats my right knee does want to cave in a little bit.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Yeah but you have to be careful. Supersets can increase Stress on the CNS (i think) and can wear you out more Quickly. Although i'm not a Fan of Supersets, Doing 1 Superset Combo per Workout (mostly combining 2 Isolation Exercises with it, NOT Compound Exercises) should be ok. But i would not go Higher than that.
I can believe it. The old programs I'm following - trying to follow - call for lots of compound movements, all supersetted together...don't know how they did it!

I may have to substitute some of the compounds for isolation movements, especially later on in the workout.

AndrogenicJB

Fair enough. I'll look into Brignole's stuff a little more.

Interesting...I totally get the systemic fatigue thing, doing so many barbell compound movements can feel very tiring!

Did you ever try the behind-the-neck press? I could see how that could be a risky exercise. No idea how the old school guys did 300 pounds on that one...

Loving the pullover so far, however. I guess everyone is different, so best to listen to your body!
Do you do pullovers with your whole body on the bench

milkboi

Very interesting thread @OccamzRazer! Though I can‘t quite comprehend how you are eating more than a lot of professional bodybuilders in their off-season who take a ***t ton of PEDs and have 60 pounds more muscle on their body.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Very interesting thread @OccamzRazer! Though I can‘t quite comprehend how you are eating more than a lot of professional bodybuilders in their off-season who take a ***t ton of PEDs and have 60 pounds more muscle on their body.
Thanks so much, milkboi! Appreciate your interest.

Yeah needing so many calories is kind of strange. I sure didn't think I'd have to eat this much lol.

One of the reasons I love Dr. Peat's approach is how it transcends genetic determinism, but I think part of my metabolic thing is 'genetic.'

I was talking to my Dad a couple days ago. When he was 18-23 he lifted weights pretty intensely. He told me he was unable to maintain his weight above 180 pounds, no matter how much he ate, and eventually just settled a few pounds lower. (We're the same height, so this comparison might mean something.)

To this day my Dad has a truly great physique, for being in his mid 50s...

...but I really hope I can break through whatever this 180 pound ceiling is!

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Update 27

(yesterday, May 27th)

Training: another big full-body workout! In this one I varied up many of the sets. Instead of doing 3 sets of 8 cheat curls, for example, I did one set of cheat curls and then went on to sets of other stuff.

I also rearranged the supersets so that the legs came first and the arms came last. Way better this way - I was able to push my arms to the max without getting too fatigued for the compound movements.

Legs Superset: 3 x 8 squats / hamstring curls

Chest Superset: 3 x 8 weighted dip / DB chest fly

Back Superset: 3 x 8 weighted pullup & BB row / DB & BB shrugs

Arms Superset: 5 x 8 cheat curls & BB curls & incline DB curls / lying tricep extension & overhead tricp extension.

After reading how Leroy Colbert would take the dumbells up past his shoulder when doing curls, I had to try the same. The pump was pretty unreal: my arms felt kind of numb and hard to move lol. Thanks CortiNon!

Nutrition: 5,300ish calories. Milk, beef, orange juice, ice cream with chocolate sauce. Mmm.

Uselis

Are you one of those people who walked away without any issue from starch the moment they decided to? ☺

Whats your starch evolution briefly if you don't mind? ?

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Are you one of those people who walked away without any issue from starch the moment they decided to? ☺

Whats your starch evolution briefly if you don't mind? ?
I quit starch for the first time last summer when I went carnivore for a little while. That's when I realized how tired, moody, and brain-fogged it'd been making me! Starch during lunchtime is the worst, for whatever reason...instant sleepiness afterward.

After going carnivore I reincorporated honey, fruit, dried fruit, etc and realized that these carbs didn't cause any cognitive problems. More recently I added in fruit juice, too.

Also keep in mind that I was diagnosed with 'high-functioning' autism in 2018, so I'm probably more sensitive to starch than most.

But if I avoid starch, use red light, take serotonin-antagonising mushrooms, and keep T high...then my quirkiness is retained without the awkward, 'autistic' side effects.

This change is a large part of why I'm such a fan of Dr. Peat's work. In addition to being beautifully unified, Dr. Peat's perspective on nutrition has made me a different person!

Uselis

I quit starch for the first time last summer when I went carnivore for a little while. That's when I realized how tired, moody, and brain-fogged it'd been making me! Starch during lunchtime is the worst, for whatever reason...instant sleepiness afterward.

After going carnivore I reincorporated honey, fruit, dried fruit, etc and realized that these carbs didn't cause any cognitive problems. More recently I added in fruit juice, too.

Also keep in mind that I was diagnosed with 'high-functioning' autism in 2018, so I'm probably more sensitive to starch than most.

But if I avoid starch, use red light, take serotonin-antagonising mushrooms, and keep T high...then my quirkiness is retained without the awkward, 'autistic' side effects.

This change is a large part of why I'm such a fan of Dr. Peat's work. In addition to being beautifully unified, Dr. Peat's perspective on nutrition has made me a different person!
Thanks for lengthy response!

I seem to unable crack no starch part on Ray's work so I am always curious and inspired once I see somebody else did. I am also different person starchless ha ha.

Glad for you man!

David90

Sounds good, I'm going to try this!

Yeah, I know what you mean. On heavy squats my right knee does want to cave in a little bit.

Sure, try it out. In the Worst Case it upps your Glute Volume a little bit, which always helps. I would keep it in the 20-30 Rep Range for the Abduction Machine and if you do Standing Plated Hip Abductions, then 15-20 Reps. Both Variations should be about 1 Rep to Failure (Weight-Wise).

I can believe it. The old programs I'm following - trying to follow - call for lots of compound movements, all supersetted together...don't know how they did it!

I may have to substitute some of the compounds for isolation movements, especially later on in the workout.

Yeah, Right. I think the CNS Burden is not so much, if you combine 2 Isolation Exercises with it. I Always do it (at the Moment) for Biceps & Triceps. I Usually Combine them together to save Time in the Workout. I Usually do them Last in My Workout (before Weighted Abs).

Just 1 tsp is good enough. Too much and it can cause disaster pants.

Thanks for the Anwser. I start with about 3g and work it up to 5g (1tsp) to make sure, that doesn't happen to me....lol

The Sleepiness can be from the Insulin Spike caused by the Starches. Strangely my Anabolic French Toast doesn't cause that for me (maybe because it is lower in Starchy Carbs....under 50g). Usually Higher Amounts of Starchy Carbs cause that too, for me.

Fruit and Fruit Juice doesn't cause a Insulin Spike because it goes directly into the Liver. Only Thing i WOULD be cautious about is the Glycemic Load of the Fruits. Especially Bananas, Dates, Dried Fruits in General CAN cause a Higher Spike in Blood Sugar (?), whereas Strawberries, Oranges, Kiwi and a few others, doesn't cause any Spike in Blood Sugar due to the Low Glycemic Load (?). But maybe i'm Wrong.

David90

@OccamzRazer
Also one Thing i wanted to point out, is that Training Three Days per Week, gives you the Most Versatile Options in Terms of Workout Plans. There are SO much Combinations you can do with just Training Three Days per Week. I also find it the most Convinient and the Most Practical. Most of the People can do it, regardless if someone is still on School or has Many Working Hours (40 Hours+) per Week. And Frequency (About 2-3 Times per Muscle Group per Week) as well as Volume (Around 10 Sets per Muscle Group per Week) is easily Achiveable with this kind of Splits shown Below. Recovery shouldn't be a Problem, because a Muscle is (mostly) ready to be Trained again in around 2-3 Days.

Splits you can do with Training Three Days per Week:

-Upper / Lower (Alternating)
-Upper / Lower / Upper (Upper Body Focused, 2x Upper Body Workout, 1x Lower Body Workout)
-Lower / Upper / Lower (Lower Body Focused, 2x Lower Body Workout, 1x Upper Body Workout)
-Upper / Lower / Full Body (aka. Hybrid)
-Full Body / Full Body / Full Body

-Push / Pull (Alternating)
-Push / Pull / Legs
-Push / Pull (
+ Legs) (Alternating)
-Torso (Chest, Back, Shoulders) / Limbs (Legs & Arms) (Alternating)

Source: aworkoutroutine.com

As you can see, there are MANY Options to Choose from. I think i stay on a Three Day Split almost Forever. I Still (personally) think Full Body Workout is the best Choice, because it gives you the most Bang for your Buck (In Terms of Volume & Frequency). But if someone needs a breath of Fresh Air for his Workouts, than this should do it.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Update 28

(Friday May 28th)

Did almost nothing & laid in bed most of the day. No core work.

Ate about 5,550 calories. The usual plus some wine and pot roast while out with friends!

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Update 29

(Saturday May 29th)

Training: Intense full body workout.

3 x 8 squats / calf raises
3 x 8 heavy rows / shrugs
3 x 8 OHP / lying DB press
4 x 8 zottman curl + Leroy Colbert-style concentration curls / lying tricep extensions

Was pretty dead after this session for some reason. The supersets are TOUGH!

Nutrition: 4,800 calories. Was busy today and just ate to a little above appetite. I feel way better eating less than 5000 cals/day, but can't gain weight that way...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals