OURA Ring as a Health monitoring tool

Doludolu

Hey there,

Do we have anyone that wear & use Oura ring as a bio-feedback tool for data about your health, nutrition, HRV, sleep cycles, activities & etc.. ? What do you think about it and is it a good device?

I got some recommendations for for high accuracy for HRV, Sleep cycles, Nutrition, Activity & etc.
Good thing I heard you can also put it to Airplane mode, that reduces the EMF load greatly, and the data gets extracted.

If you are an Oura ring user , could yuu share your experience?
Thanks.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Hey there,

Do we have anyone that wear & use Oura ring as a bio-feedback tool for data about your health, nutrition, HRV, sleep cycles, activities & etc.. ? What do you think about it and is it a good device?

I got some recommendations for for high accuracy for HRV, Sleep cycles, Nutrition, Activity & etc.
Good thing I heard you can also put it to Airplane mode, that reduces the EMF load greatly, and the data gets extracted.

If you are an Oura ring user , could yuu share your experience?
Thanks.
I have one and it's always in airplane mode except for a minute to transfer data when charging.

I have the gen 2. I hear the gen 3 forces you into a subscription if you want to see any useful data.

When I was sick, the ring definitely noticed. It seems to be accurate with heart rate, baseline temperature tracking and sleep tracking.

It is temporary useful to me, to understand what helps me sleep better and how certain things affect my sleep cycles. I won't be using it forever though.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Care to elaborate on the details?
Well it tracks your sleep phases as in how much time you spend in deep sleep, light sleep, REM, etc...

Here is a small section of a report.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220211-103442_Oura.jpg
    Screenshot_20220211-103442_Oura.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Makrosky

Well it tracks your sleep phases as in how much time you spend in deep sleep, light sleep, REM, etc...

haha no, I meant what things you discovered help/hind your sleep.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
haha no, I meant what things you discovered help/hind your sleep.
Ah, still work in progress. Being very mentally stimulated before bed seems terrible for me and leads to lower REM. Eating right before bed helps increase deep sleep. Sleeping longer and naps for a few days in a row increases heart rate variability.

Also, when I was sick (Omicron most likely) the HRV tanked and heart rate and temperature went up during sleep (duh though lol).

Still learning.

Makrosky

Ah, still work in progress. Being very mentally stimulated before bed seems terrible for me and leads to lower REM. Eating right before bed helps increase deep sleep. Sleeping longer and naps for a few days in a row increases heart rate variability.

Also, when I was sick (Omicron most likely) the HRV tanked and heart rate and temperature went up during sleep (duh though lol).

Still learning.
Thanks!

Ben.

The data collected by it never mirrored the reality. I consider it a waste of money. Thats my experience with it.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I can't comment on the activity tracking as I only wear it at home. If I understood correctly, it only logs HRV / HR during and around sleep.

I found it accurate with how I feel usually. When it says REM was good, I'd recall a night full of dreams. When it says deep sleep is inadequate, I'd wake up very tired. Its readiness score seems to correlate with my drive to exercise. I see myself wearing it for another 6 month to a year before retiring it.

Beastmode

The deep sleep part seems to be the most useful for most of the Peaty people who use this device.

BTW, 2 hours of deep sleep per night is quite good. You must feel rested the next day if that's a normal amount?

OP
Doludolu

Doludolu

I have one and it's always in airplane mode except for a minute to transfer data when charging.

I have the gen 2. I hear the gen 3 forces you into a subscription if you want to see any useful data.

When I was sick, the ring definitely noticed. It seems to be accurate with heart rate, baseline temperature tracking and sleep tracking.

It is temporary useful to me, to understand what helps me sleep better and how certain things affect my sleep cycles. I won't be using it forever though.
I see, thanks. So that's when you turn on the Bluetooth - to transfer the data, and otherwise it's always on Airplane , yeah ? :)

Yeah, I'm curious now ordered it, mainly to use as a bio-feedback tool to see what works for my body and not - although been experimenting intuitively and noting things down, feeling it w my body, but having this more objective data should be helpful !

I have one. Not worth it for me.
Why exactly ?

Interesting, so that's a smartphone / PCAh, still work in progress. Being very mentally stimulated before bed seems terrible for me and leads to lower REM. Eating right before bed helps increase deep sleep. Sleeping longer and naps for a few days in a row increases heart rate variability.

Interesting, would make sense also that disease boosts the HR (stress) and temperature (immunity) ; and during that Deep sleep cannot be properly achieved as you're running on stress hromones and for Deep sleep lower body temperature is optimal.

The pc / smartphone app you also get with the ring, yes ? How often do you need to turn on EMF to synchronize it ? And does it show any data if you leave it on airplane mode or only when you turn on Bluetooth?

The data collected by it never mirrored the reality. I consider it a waste of money. Thats my experience with it.
Could you share some examples? According to all the approach & evidence they promote and other users share, it should be on the opposite side.

I can't comment on the activity tracking as I only wear it at home. If I understood correctly, it only logs HRV / HR during and around sleep.

I found it accurate with how I feel usually. When it says REM was good, I'd recall a night full of dreams. When it says deep sleep is inadequate, I'd wake up very tired. Its readiness score seems to correlate with my drive to exercise. I see myself wearing it for another 6 month to a year before retiring it.
Nice experience. It seems like a tool to learn more about your body and indeed then drop it off.
The deep sleep part seems to be the most useful for most of the Peaty people who use this device.

BTW, 2 hours of deep sleep per night is quite good. You must feel rested the next day if that's a normal amount?
That's quite decent.
I'm really curious to see how things will affect my Deep sleep objectively (from the Oura ring's perspective), as I have noticed benefits just from noting myself and experimenting with stuff like: chamomile tea, magnesium, gratitude / meditation , cold showers in the night & etc.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I see, thanks. So that's when you turn on the Bluetooth - to transfer the data, and otherwise it's always on Airplane , yeah ? :)

Yeah, I'm curious now ordered it, mainly to use as a bio-feedback tool to see what works for my body and not - although been experimenting intuitively and noting things down, feeling it w my body, but having this more objective data should be helpful !

Why exactly ?

Interesting, so that's a smartphone / PCAh, still work in progress. Being very mentally stimulated before bed seems terrible for me and leads to lower REM. Eating right before bed helps increase deep sleep. Sleeping longer and naps for a few days in a row increases heart rate variability.

Interesting, would make sense also that disease boosts the HR (stress) and temperature (immunity) ; and during that Deep sleep cannot be properly achieved as you're running on stress hromones and for Deep sleep lower body temperature is optimal.

The pc / smartphone app you also get with the ring, yes ? How often do you need to turn on EMF to synchronize it ? And does it show any data if you leave it on airplane mode or only when you turn on Bluetooth?

Could you share some examples? According to all the approach & evidence they promote and other users share, it should be on the opposite side.

Nice experience. It seems like a tool to learn more about your body and indeed then drop it off.

That's quite decent.
I'm really curious to see how things will affect my Deep sleep objectively (from the Oura ring's perspective), as I have noticed benefits just from noting myself and experimenting with stuff like: chamomile tea, magnesium, gratitude / meditation , cold showers in the night & etc.
Yes, it's always working on airplane mode, but not transmitting nor emitting radio frequencies. I sync it in the morning when I hook it to the charger with phone. It wouldn't need to be charged every day, but putting it on the charger takes out airplane mode for data transfer.

Beastmode

Why exactly ?

That's quite decent.
I started a thread here recently on a new sleep experiment I've been doing for about 2 weeks: Best night sleep.

OP
Doludolu

Doludolu

@xeliex @Ben. @Makrosky @Beastmode

Hello,

just with the Sizing I have trouble making a decision
Size 12 on my index finger goes quite tightly and it takes about 20-30 sec to put it off (I need to push it quite strongly, because my finger are quite thick and knuckle (joint) is a bit bigger than the whole finger it self)
While Size 13 fits very comfortably but as in the video it's said that moving ring is supposed to move the skin and fit slightly more tightly. That's not the case with this option... I can put it immediately and also take it off in 2-3 seconds, whereas with Size 12 it takes ~20-30 sec and quite some effort to actually take it off.

Seems that something like 12.5 would be my size so I'm not sure how to proceed.

For data management and accuracy it's probably better if it fits more tightly than loose.. ? Could any of you give some guidance and advice in terms for the size?

Makrosky

@xeliex @Ben. @Makrosky @Beastmode

Hello,

just with the Sizing I have trouble making a decision
Size 12 on my index finger goes quite tightly and it takes about 20-30 sec to put it off (I need to push it quite strongly, because my finger are quite thick and knuckle (joint) is a bit bigger than the whole finger it self)
While Size 13 fits very comfortably but as in the video it's said that moving ring is supposed to move the skin and fit slightly more tightly. That's not the case with this option... I can put it immediately and also take it off in 2-3 seconds, whereas with Size 12 it takes ~20-30 sec and quite some effort to actually take it off.

Seems that something like 12.5 would be my size so I'm not sure how to proceed.

For data management and accuracy it's probably better if it fits more tightly than loose.. ? Could any of you give some guidance and advice in terms for the size?
Oh mate. I don't own one sorry. I am not convinced yet and it is pricey.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I don't take mine too seriously and if I was you, would get the larger size. Mine slips off when I wash my hands with soap and it seems to be accurate, at least with pulse.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals