No-Carb diet reverses Lyme Disease

nikotrope

50% of the protein will probably be converted to carbs, fat will give enough fuel and is low in PUFA. And from the quantity they eat they may not be doing a calorie deficit, or maybe just a small one. These are important elements.

But even if her Lyme disease has disappeared I would be curious to check their health. Not sure they have a great health.

Dean

The most success I've ever had in terms of diet, was a summer long experiment with a no-carb diet. I lost weight in the right places, no food cravings. My mood improved tremendously. I didn't keep it up for a variety of reasons. It only worked when eating lean meat. When I tried it another time with fatty meat, I did poorly. Not enough protein, I guess.

Tom

Peat often mentions Vilhjalmur Stefansson, the arctic explorer, in relation to high meat diet, and how a high phosphate (relative to calcium) accelerate the aging process.

It is mentioned at the end of an article by Stefansson:

"While meat eaters seem to average well in heath, we must in our conclusion draw a caution from the most complete modern example of them the Eskimos of Coronation Gulf, when he was anthropologist on my third expedition, that the two chief causes of death were accidents and old age. This puts in a different form my saying that these survivors of the stone age were the healthiest people I have ever lived among. I would say the community, from infancy to old age, may have had on the average the health of an equal number of men about twenty, say college students.

The danger is that you may reason from this good health to a great longevity. But meat eaters do not appear to live long. So far as we can tell, the Eskimos, before the white men upset their physiological as well as their economic balance, lived on the average at least ten years less than we. Now their lives average still shorter; but that is partly from communicated diseases.

It has been said in a previous article that I found the exclusive meat diet in New York to be stimulating - I felt energetic and optimistic both winter and summer. Perhaps it may be considered that meat is, overall, a stimulating diet, in the sense that metabolic processes are speeded up. You are then living at a faster rate, which means you would grow up rapidly and get old soon. This is perhaps confirmed by that early maturing of Eskimo women which I have heretofore supposed to be mainly due to their almost complete protection from chill - they live in warm dwellings and dress warmly so that the body is seldom under stress to maintain by physiological processes a temperature balance. It may be that meat as a speeder-up of metabolism explains in part both that Eskimo women are sometimes grandmothers before the age of twenty-three, and that they usually seem as old at sixty as our women do at eighty."

http://www.biblelife.org/stefansson3.htm

gretchen

My main success with vlc was in the winter. I tried to eat low carb many summers in the 2000s with increasing stress. I ate moderate amounts of protein, mostly from fish and buffalo. It only worked in cold weather.

Eating zero carb may reset leptin which in turn normalizes other hormones. But it's probably not necessary to do all the time, nor to eat no carbs. And at the risk of sounding obnoxious, I will add that the blogger might have healed from Lyme's from getting adequate sunlight.

XPlus

There seems to be some connection between gut and lyme.

In my experience with paleo and zero carb, I noticed that there might be some benefit for intestinal irritability. Especially after a gut cleansing protocol.

When the meats and fats are fresh, and of good quality (i.e. wild, pastured, grass fed, organic), their digestion is very smooth in my experience.

The recommendation of using enzymes may reduce the stress on the gut to a limited extent.

The limiting of industrial toxins is also a good perk of these diets. This is likely to lower the estrogen load on the body and it feels better.

Also, the limiting of PUFA, like nikotrpe mentioned, must be highly beneficial.

Unfortunately, improvement isn't a lasting experience on these diets. It only takes a bad piece of meet, one piece of fruit or vegetables to come back where I was. Also, kefir and probitiocs were only making me feel worse. The digestive enzymes are irritating themselves.

I did this for a year, trying persistently to get my health back. I may have lost some weight, cleared my skin, felt slightly better but eventually, I realised that I'm just going around in circles.

The weight loss on the low carbs diets is largely illusional. It is in the most part muscle protein broken down as fuel in compensation for the lack of sugars. Little fat may be lost as well.

The clearing of the skin experienced by many is likely due to control of endotoxins, lower estrogen as well as a slowing metabolism (Vitamin A and B6 turnover)

The slight feeling of getting better was probably the overexcited effect of running on stress hormones.

One more thing to note, the classification of carbs under these diets are inclusive of fibre. Fibre in itself may be problematic. Since their understanding of carbs (i.e. metabolically) is either skewed or limited, they tend to exclude them all together.

The effect of a slowing of metabolism is a route to explore deeply but I don't have enough knowledge about this.

Going on a fancy diet that simply doesn't fix metabolism is like trying to save a boat with too many holes from sinking. You can only block so many holes before it sinks.

Low carb is one of the most effective short-term diets. I'm sure it is therapeutic for some issues, maybe limes. I don't think this is at odds with Ray's paradigms.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals