Low Toxin Studies Niacin increases the risk of diabetes due to glucose-limiting events

mosaic01

An important concept Dr. David Stephens came up with is the idea of glucose-limiting events. After acute events of increased glucose-requirement (cerebral hyperglycolysis following traumatic brain injury), the brain chronically and permanently lowers it's own glucose consumption, to prevent future damage. At the same time, the glucose consumption of the organs is also lowered, to prioritize the brain. It is some kind of hibernation mode that preserves the body in light of reduced resources. This results in a permanent glucose-limitation of the brain and organs, the amount of glucose reaching the brain and organs is thus lowered. Liver glycogen is also negatively affected, and adrenaline and cortisol increase to provide sufficient energy to the brain, while insulin sensitivity is often lowered (to channel the glucose into the brain instead of the organs).

According to Dr. Stephens, every little stress can act as a glucose-limiting event, not merely pronounced brain injuries and concussions. Many concussions also go completely unnoticed. Most people thus experience several glucose-limiting events every year, with a permanent reduction in brain function.

Chris Masterjohn and Alex Leaf have speculated that the 34% higher risk of diabetes associated with high-dose niacin therapy is due to eating carbohydrates during the free-fatty acid (FFA) rebound phase, which results in impaired glucose metabolism. They use a study by Wang et. al to make their point, where the rebound phase was measured after intake of 500mg niacin.

As we know from Ray Peat, a rise in FFA is always accompanied by a rise in serotonin, adrenaline and other stress hormones.

In the 2 hours following niacin intake, carbohydrate oxidation almost triples. This means niacin is an excellent tool to improve glucose oxidation in the context of taking dextrose. But what happens when the body does not have enough glucose available?

1719567863135.png

Alex Leaf speculates the FFA rebound indicates a "harder time using carbs for energy", but this is likely not the case. Chris Masterjohn echoes his sentiment.

In the study participants, niacin increased glycogenolysis, which means more glycogen is turned into glucose to fuel the cells and liver glucose stores are lowered. This means ingesting more glucose is essential when using niacin. From the study:

1719567924022.png

After 3-4 hours, it looks like glycogen stores in the liver are depleted and glycogenolysis is downregulated. The glycogenolysis peak is after 2 hours, so one can assume that the lack of sugar manifests itself most strongly after 2-3 hours, as glycogen levels fall and stress starts to increase.

And indeed, exactly at the point of glycogen utilization decreasing, 3 hours after niacin intake, a rebound phase is observed where large amounts of free fatty acids enter the blood.

I speculate the slight increase in diabetes risk with the use of niacin is not per se in the rebound of fatty acids, but in the depletion of available glucose (glycogen) from the liver. In light with the research and work by Dr. David Stephens, this would in some people lead to a pronounced glucose deficiency and would thus be a glucose-limiting event, downregulating the amount of glucose that can reach the brain. As an adaptive mechanism, insulin sensitivity is lowered. If this is true, simply taking large amounts of dextrose would be the solution to prevent any risks of niacin in relation to diabetes. The FFA rebound itself is not dangerous and it's ok to consume carbohydrates while in the rebound phase.

It's also likely that the increase in FFA (rebound phase) is actually a consequences of depleted glycogen stores in the first place, which results in a lowered carbohydrate oxidation. Comparing the control phase with the niacin phase supports this idea:

images_large_h10700001008.jpeg

As the study shows, it is not that the oxidation of fatty acids increase during the rebound compared to control, but glucose oxidation decreases. As you can see, the carbohydrate oxidation in the 5-6 hour phase is also markedly lower in the control phase, suggesting that the participants hadn't eaten during the previous couple hours. So the reduction in carbohydrate oxidation is not as drastic as Chris Masterjohn and Alex Leaf make it appear, when comparing it to controls. But what can be seen here is that the study participants simply didn't eat the entire time, which increased the fat oxidation even in the control phase.

The control phase happened before the niacin phase in the same participants. The result of taking niacin without adequate glucose is that 5 hours after taking niacin, the glucose oxidation has been limited to less than half the previous amount.

The study merely shows the glycogen-depleting effects of niacin, since boosting carbohydrate oxidation is only good if you actually provide the glucose. Otherwise you deplete glucose and create a stress reaction. The rise in FFA is simply a consequence of this stress reaction due to lowered glycogen stores, resulting in an increase in adrenaline.

This stress reaction is a traumatic glucose-limiting event, and can permanently lower the glucose oxidation rate in the brain. In some people, this glucose-limitation then leads to diabetes. In other people, different symptoms develop.

I suggest that niacin can be risky without adequate glucose supply and should only be used together with adequate amounts of dextrose. It's possible that in some people the use of niacin during the 6-month dextrose therapy of Dr. Stephens can prevent recovery, since it's easy to accidentally underconsume dextrose.

Liver glycogen should never be reduced in the hours following the intake of niacin. The utilization of glycogen means the body is in a stress and survival mode. All the necessary glucose should come from the diet. The only way to achieve this is by taking some extra dextrose (at least 50g probably) with the niacin.

Conclusion

One in 43 people treated with high-dose niacin will develop diabetes within 5 years due to niacin intake. Leaf and Masterjohn speculate the impaired glucose metabolism happens due to the consumption of carbohydrates during the high FFA rebound phase.

Unfortunately, they get the causality wrong - it's not the suppression of FFA that boosts glucose oxidation and the increase in FFA that suppresses it. Instead, it is the glucose oxidation which lowers the free fatty acids. Depletion of blood sugar (within minutes of taking niacin) leads to glycogenolysis (breakdown of glycogen) in the liver and this creates a massive stress response (adrenaline) following empty liver stores. The rise in FFA is a symptom of this stress response.

Ingestion of additional dextrose every hour following niacin intake will likely prevent the rise in FFA.

Sources:

Chris Masterjohn Video

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Once again, incredible work. It's beautiful to watch the puzzle pieces coming together as we finally get the answers we needed to truly receive Regenerative and Restorative Energy. As mentioned before, the Ray Peat Forum is not stagnant. We are taking Rays work and moving it forward. Tossing out what did not work, and finding the answers to back up and make his core beliefs work. Glucose utilization was a pillar of his work, and now we have found the way to make it happen even after Ray Peat has passed (RIP). We will continue to move forward and the healing capacity of the Ray Peat Forum will continue to increase exponentially.

I have found that when I use Niacin while glucose loading after 2 or 3 hours I can indeed feel the crash of not having enough glucose on board to finish the job of the Niacin. Glucose needs to be increased quite a bit during dosing of Niacin and also probably needs to be taken every hour or 2 to stay away from glucose limiting events.

gabys225

Brilliant work. The logic is sound. There are indeed people reporting niacin side effects, this is probably due to pre-existing glucose limiting injuries amidst low glycogen stores when dosing.

lilrawhoney

Forum Supporter
An important concept Dr. David Stephens came up with is the idea of glucose-limiting events. After acute events of increased glucose-requirement (cerebral hyperglycolysis following traumatic brain injury), the brain chronically and permanently lowers it's own glucose consumption, to prevent future damage. At the same time, the glucose consumption of the organs is also lowered, to prioritize the brain. It is some kind of hibernation mode that preserves the body in light of reduced resources. This results in a permanent glucose-limitation of the brain and organs, the amount of glucose reaching the brain and organs is thus lowered. Liver glycogen is also negatively affected, and adrenaline and cortisol increase to provide sufficient energy to the brain, while insulin sensitivity is often lowered (to channel the glucose into the brain instead of the organs).

According to Dr. Stephens, every little stress can act as a glucose-limiting event, not merely pronounced brain injuries and concussions. Many concussions also go completely unnoticed. Most people thus experience several glucose-limiting events every year, with a permanent reduction in brain function.

Chris Masterjohn and Alex Leaf have speculated that the 34% higher risk of diabetes associated with high-dose niacin therapy is due to eating carbohydrates during the free-fatty acid (FFA) rebound phase, which results in impaired glucose metabolism. They use a study by Wang et. al to make their point, where the rebound phase was measured after intake of 500mg niacin.

As we know from Ray Peat, a rise in FFA is always accompanied by a rise in serotonin, adrenaline and other stress hormones.

In the 2 hours following niacin intake, carbohydrate oxidation almost triples. This means niacin is an excellent tool to improve glucose oxidation in the context of taking dextrose. But what happens when the body does not have enough glucose available?

View attachment 62702
Alex Leaf speculates the FFA rebound indicates a "harder time using carbs for energy", but this is likely not the case. Chris Masterjohn echoes his sentiment.

In the study participants, niacin increased glycogenolysis, which means more glycogen is turned into glucose to fuel the cells and liver glucose stores are lowered. This means ingesting more glucose is essential when using niacin. From the study:

View attachment 62703

After 3-4 hours, it looks like glycogen stores in the liver are depleted and glycogenolysis is downregulated.

3 hours after niacin intake, a rebound phase is observed where large amounts of free fatty acids enter the blood.

I speculate the slight increase in diabetes risk with the use of niacin is not per se in the rebound of fatty acids, but in the depletion of available glucose (glycogen) from the liver. In light with the research and work by Dr. David Stephens, this would in some people lead to a pronounced glucose deficiency and would thus be a glucose-limiting event, downregulating the amount of glucose that can reach the brain. As an adaptive mechanism, insulin sensitivity is lowered. If this is true, simply taking large amounts of dextrose would be the solution to prevent any risks of niacin in relation to diabetes. The FFA rebound itself is not dangerous and it's ok to consume carbohydrates while in the rebound phase.

It's also likely that the increase in FFA (rebound phase) is actually a consequences of depleted glycogen stores in the first place, which results in a lowered carbohydrate oxidation. Comparing the control phase with the niacin phase supports this idea:

View attachment 62700

As the study shows, it is not that the oxidation of fatty acids increase during the rebound compared to control, but glucose oxidation decreases. As you can see, the carbohydrate oxidation in the 5-6 hour phase is also markedly lower in the control phase, suggesting that the participants hadn't eaten during the previous couple hours. So the reduction in carbohydrate oxidation is not as drastic as Chris Masterjohn and Alex Leaf make it appear, when comparing it to controls. But what can be seen here is that the study participants simply didn't eat the entire time, which increased the fat oxidation even in the control phase.

The control phase happened before the niacin phase in the same participants. The result of taking niacin without adequate glucose is that 5 hours after taking niacin, the glucose oxidation has been limited to less than half the previous amount.

The study merely shows the glycogen-depleting effects of niacin, since boosting carbohydrate oxidation is only good if you actually provide the glucose. Otherwise you deplete glucose and create a stress reaction. The rise in FFA is simply a consequences of this stress reaction due to lowered glycogen stores, resulting in an increase in adrenaline.

This stress reaction is a traumatic glucose-limiting event, and can permanently lower the glucose oxidation rate in the brain. In some people, this glucose-limitation then leads to diabetes. In other people, different symptoms develop.

I suggest that niacin can be risky without adequate glucose supply and should only be used together with adequate amounts of dextrose. It's possible that in some people the use of niacin during the 6-month dextrose therapy of Dr. Stephens can prevent recovery, since it's easy to accidentally underconsume dextrose.

Liver glycogen should never be reduced in the hours following the intake of niacin. The utilization of glycogen means the body is in a stress and survival mode. All the necessary glucose should come from the diet. The only way to achieve this is by taking some extra dextrose (at least 50g probably) with the niacin.

Conclusion

One in 43 people treated with high-dose niacin will develop diabetes within 5 years due to niacin intake. Leaf and Masterjohn speculate the impaired glucose metabolism happens due to the consumption of carbohydrates during the high FFA rebound phase.

Unfortunately, they get the causality wrong - it's not the suppression of FFA that boosts glucose oxidation and the increase in FFA that suppresses it. Instead, it is the glucose oxidation which lowers the free fatty acids. Depletion of blood sugar (within minutes of taking niacin) leads to glycogenolysis (breakdown of glycogen) in the liver and this creates a massive stress response (adrenaline) following empty liver stores. The rise in FFA is a symptom of this stress response.

Ingestion of additional dextrose every hour following niacin intake will likely prevent the rise in FFA.

Sources:

Chris Masterjohn Video

Wow amazing post, as usual! This makes so much sense, because I stopped taking niacin around 2 weeks ago because I noticed it was starting to give me an adrenaline response similar to when I used to drink coffee. I’d get sweaty armpits with a distinct odor, nervousness and anxiety, and my blood sugar would feel low. Now I think I will try lower doses of niacin with plenty of dextrose.

Krigeren

Wow amazing post, as usual! This makes so much sense, because I stopped taking niacin around 2 weeks ago because I noticed it was starting to give me an adrenaline response similar to when I used to drink coffee. I’d get sweaty armpits with a distinct odor, nervousness and anxiety, and my blood sugar would feel low. Now I think I will try lower doses of niacin with plenty of dextrose.

I bet that's at least some if not most of what's going on with my (high) BG management problems. I can be more on the Type A end of the spectrum + stressful job + probably way more coffee than I should also. I am wondering if staying below the "flushing threshold" for niacin might be a marker of some sort?

Last edited:

lilrawhoney

Forum Supporter
I bet that's at least some if not most of what's going on with my (high) BG management problems. I can be more on the Type A end of the spectrum + stressful job + probably way more coffee than I should also. I am wondering if if staying below the flushing phase for niacin might be a marker of some sort?
Stress is hands down my biggest issue. I’ve done so much to lower it in the past few years, but only so much stress you can lower when you have 4 young children, 2 who are still nursing, and one who is nonverbal autisitc, and a husband who works a ton 😅

Cutting coffee was one of the best things I’ve done so far. Coffee gives me an extreme stress response and after drinking it I would spend the rest of the day not being able to balance my blood sugar.

Tarmander

When I used niacinamide regularly years ago, I gained weight and it increased my blood sugars. Not surprising. Will be interesting if glucose intake timing can correct this.

Mitchell777

When I used niacinamide regularly years ago, I gained weight and it increased my blood sugars. Not surprising. Will be interesting if glucose intake timing can correct this.
Yes that’s interesting as from mosaics post, we can see that these NAD precursors taken in supplement form in high doses, all hugely demand glucose. When that isn’t there, I assume cortisol and adrenaline rise to reinstate blood glucose. However the mechanism it does this by is destructive if used regularly.

I don’t think niacinamide is “poison”, however I think using it and niacin with caution, alongside adequate glucose / carbohydrates is paramount.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals