Low Toxin Supplements Niacin Increases NAD+ Significantly in Human Trial

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The trial participants were given a steadily increasing dose of niacin, starting at 250 mg/day to 750-1000 mg/day over a 4-month period, then a 10-month follow-up treatment period. The participants were organized into a study group of individuals with mitochondrial myopathy and a control group of healthy age-matched people consisting of two healthy people for each patient with mitochondrial myopathy. All the study participants were placed on the same niacin supplementation regimen.
The researchers report that niacin treatment increased muscle NAD+ levels by 1.3-fold at 4 months and 2.3-fold after 10 months in the study group. The control group saw no increase of NAD+, suggesting its levels are highly controlled in skeletal muscle tissue and will only increase in patients suffering from lower than normal levels of NAD+ experienced in conditions such as mitochondrial myopathy and potentially aging which also effects mitochondrial fuction. This is also important, as prior to this study, it was unknown if niacin supplementation improved NAD+ in muscle or if it is filtered out and simply elevated NAD+ in the liver.

The level of whole blood NAD+ was also increased by supplementation by 7.1-fold in the study group and 5.7 in the control group after 4 months compared to the participants’ baseline. At the 10-month mark, the increase was 8.2-fold compared to the baseline. This shows that niacin supplements are not simply filtered out by the liver; in fact, they reach the bloodstream in significant amounts to elevate NAD+ levels there.

Niacin supplementation also appears to improve body composition. Participants saw a decrease in whole-body fat percentage in controls and increased muscle mass in both the control and study group. After 10 months of niacin supplementation, the patients demonstrated improved muscle strength.

The researchers also observed that hepatic fat was halved and visceral fat was reduced by a quarter. These types of fat deposits are both linked to an increased risk of metabolic syndrome. So while the niacin had no effect on the surface fat around the body, it did impact significantly on the unhealthy fat surrounding the organs.

Finally, niacin has been linked to increasing blood glucose levels, a risk factor for developing conditions such as diabetes. The results of the study showed that niacin did increase fasting glucose levels in both study and control groups following 4 months of supplementation. However, glycosylated hemoglobin, which reflects long-term glucose levels, was not affected.
Source: https://www.lifespan.io/news/niacin-increases-nad-significantly-in-human-trial/

@charlie Are nicotinic acid and niacin synonymous or are the structure and action different?

Soren

Forum Supporter
Interesting study, there appears to be a discrepancy on this forum between niacinamide and niacin. I know for my own experience when I had an infection and my blood oxygen levels were low I would take 500-1000mg of Niacin and i would literally see my oxygen levels rise in real time. Although many say the flushing that occurs is not healthy for me it always felt pretty good.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I know for my own experience when I had an infection and my blood oxygen levels were low I would take 500-1000mg of Niacin and i would literally see my oxygen levels rise in real time.
Because Niacin (nicotinic acid) is life. It literally pumps life into you.

Although many say the flushing that occurs is not healthy for me it always felt pretty good.
The flush is a healing event. That is why many people start chasing it, because the body senses the extreme amount of healing and detox going on so it wants more of it. No need to chase the flush though, healing is happening even if it is not felt.

Hidden49

@charlie And what is the reason why niacinamide is supposed to be bad and slow down your detox again? I can't remember what GS said about it

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
@charlie And what is the reason why niacinamide is supposed to be bad and slow down your detox again? I can't remember what GS said about it
I do not remember exactly. What I do know is niacinamide never did anything close to what Niacin does for me and my family members around me. And the reports coming out of the low A groups are simply incredible. People breaking addictions they were having problems with, things healing that would never heal, detox capacity increasing several fold. Its truly remarkable.

Hidden49

I do not remember exactly. What I do know is niacinamide never did anything close to what Niacin does for me and my family members around me. And the reports coming out of the low A groups are simply incredible. People breaking addictions they were having problems with, things healing that would never heal, detox capacity increasing several fold. Its truly remarkable.
Yeah its sounding good, I did notice it improved my sleep, only issue with B3 is that it strips methyl groups. How come you never added a like feature to this forum I think it would be a good addition tbh.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
How come you never added a like feature to this forum I think it would be a good addition tbh.
I have tested the "like" button out but found it is better to not have that function.

Peater

Does this school of thought have any thoughts on the methylation issue? I know Ray didn't think it was a good thing but several people here have reported positive effects from methyl donors like TMG. (Which can be depleted with B vit supplementation)

Ben.

Adding apegnin, ecgc and quercetin/rutin should improve nad+ too, maybe allowing for more sensible amounts of vit b3 supplementation.

Soren

Forum Supporter
Does anyone know why the flush eventually stops when taking Niacin. I just took it for the first time in a while now and i got a big flush (felt good) but I know that eventually if I take it everyday the flush basically stops.

gunther

We can all agree at least that niacin is a wonderful supplement :):
Niacinimide gives me severe nighttime terrors. Every time I would nod off to sleep I would jerk awake with an overwhelming sense of terror. It would take about 5 min for me to calm down and get back to sleep only to wake up again in terror. It was difficult to isolate B3 as the cause`, but once I quit and began taking SAMe, the panic went away. I also tested the B3 once more and the terrors returned.

From what I was able to piece together, B3 mops up methyl groups and I'm pretty sure I'm an "undermethylater." I have elevated whole blood histamine, respond very well to SAMe and antihistamines. Methyl groups are also involved in clearing histamines, so there is a see saw action between histamine/mtheyl groups.

BobbyJackson

Niacinimide gives me severe nighttime terrors. Every time I would nod off to sleep I would jerk awake with an overwhelming sense of terror. It would take about 5 min for me to calm down and get back to sleep only to wake up again in terror. It was difficult to isolate B3 as the cause`, but once I quit and began taking SAMe, the panic went away. I also tested the B3 once more and the terrors returned.

From what I was able to piece together, B3 mops up methyl groups and I'm pretty sure I'm an "undermethylater." I have elevated whole blood histamine, respond very well to SAMe and antihistamines. Methyl groups are also involved in clearing histamines, so there is a see saw action between histamine/mtheyl groups.
That's crazy, I have no such issue with B3. I'm actually not very responsive to vitamins at all in general. Like nothing really happens.

I'm also supposedly an undermethylator according to my genetic profile.

gunther

That's crazy, I have no such issue with B3. I'm actually not very responsive to vitamins at all in general. Like nothing really happens.

I'm also supposedly an undermethylator according to my genetic profile.
There were a few posts on RPF about negative reaction to B3.

I'm not sure how actionable those genetic profiles are. I guess you have the MTHFR thing?

BobbyJackson

There were a few posts on RPF about negative reaction to B3.

I'm not sure how actionable those genetic profiles are. I guess you have the MTHFR thing?
Yeah I have some MTHFR mutations. I never put much stock into it. I tried methylated stuff in the past and it just seemed to make no impact or change anything.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thanks for this ! Do you have any thoughts on what other B's should be taken with niacin or dont worry about it ? I have looked around but it quickly gets confusing. I was thinking something like Thorn B complex or maybe energin. Thanks.
Niacin is actually an amino acid, not a b vitamin. The thing you need to be mindful of is making sure you are buffering any doses over 100mg.

hierundjetzt

I have read Abram Hoffer's book Niacin: The Real story some time ago. I would like to build up to 3x1000mg per day of niacin (nicotinic acid), as he suggests in his book. However, recently I watched a video by Chris Masterjohn (I don't really follow him) in which he claims that supplementing so much niacin can cause diabetes, espcially if eaten within hours of carbohydrate consumption. He doesn't mention which niacin form he is talking about though. Is this really a concern? I am surprised that Abram Hoffer did not talk about this possibility in his book. Anybody know?

Ras

I have read Abram Hoffer's book Niacin: The Real story some time ago. I would like to build up to 3x1000mg per day of niacin (nicotinic acid), as he suggests in his book. However, recently I watched a video by Chris Masterjohn (I don't really follow him) in which he claims that supplementing so much niacin can cause diabetes, espcially if eaten within hours of carbohydrate consumption. He doesn't mention which niacin form he is talking about though. Is this really a concern? I am surprised that Abram Hoffer did not talk about this possibility in his book. Anybody know?
Maybe 115 mg is the ideal daily intake.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals