Ketanserin Successfully Used In Schizophrenia Patient For Hallucinations

TreasureVibe

Novel treatment (new drug/intervention; established drug/procedure in new situation)

Case report

Successful treatment of intractable visual hallucinations with 5-HT2A antagonist ketanserin

Summary
Hallucinations, visual, auditory or in another sensory modality, often respond well to treatment in patients with schizophrenia. Some, however, do not and can be very chronic and debilitating. We present a patient with schizophrenia with intractable hallucinations despite state of the art care, including high-dose clozapine and transcranial magnetic stimulation. Based on the possible role of the 5-HT2A receptor in hallucinations, we treated her with the antihypertensive drug ketanserin, a 5-HT2A receptor antagonist.

This significantly reduced her visual but not her auditory hallucinations, suggesting a possible role of the 5HT2A receptor in the pathophysiology of specifically visual hallucinations. This is the first time ketanserin has been described to successfully reduce visual hallucinations in a patient with schizophrenia.

Successful treatment of intractable visual hallucinations with 5-HT2A antagonist ketanserin

Frankdee20

Most atypical new generation anti psychotics target 5ht2A blockade. Contrast from the first generation ones that strongly opposed D2, d3, and caused severe movement disorders, and hyper prolactin stated.

Sativa

Note that 5-HT2A activation (agonism) triggers BDNF release. Things like cortisol aka stress reduce BDNF... BDNF is essentially 'anabolic brain neuron food'.
(there's also NGF, GDNF)

Frankdee20

It makes sense that 2A is linked to being crazy and suicidal. Almost all psychedelics activate 2A. Anytime I take something that activates 2A, I end up with bad anxiety and depression. Things like SJW and Inositol all give me anxiety.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals