Itopride? - prokinetic benzamide derivative

GreekDemiGod

Anyone has any experience with this drug. Forum search retrieved nothing, this is the Wikipedia page: Itopride - Wikipedia
The gastroenterologist prescribed it to me as a prokinetic/ motility agent to help with constipation.
But now that I read about it, I am not so sure about it. It seems to be a dopamine antagonist and has high prolactin/ gynecomastia listed as possible side effects.
That can't be good

Itopride (INN; brand name Ganaton) is a prokinetic benzamide derivative. These drugs inhibit dopamine and acetylcholine esterase enzyme and have a gastrokinetic effect.[3] Itopride is indicated for the treatment of functional dyspepsia and other gastrointestinal conditions.[4] It is a combined D2 receptor antagonist and acetylcholinesterase inhibitor.[5][6]

BearWithMe

I felt super weird when taking this drug. It is very hard to put it in words, as the symptoms were very non-specific. The best way I can describe it is super intensive feeling that something is seriously wrong with my stomach. It was almost unbearable at times.

It went away when I stopped the treatment. Have tried Itopride some years later, and the feeling was the same. I never felt anything remotely similar when not taking Itopride.

Also, I don't think it improved my motility / digestive issues at all. But that might be different for you.

Also, isn't the drug indicated for slow emptying of upper GI rather than slow emptying of lower GI? I don't think this drug should be used for constipation at all, I think it might actually cause constipation

Last edited:
OP
G

GreekDemiGod

@BearWithMe Thanks for sharing. I actually stopped taking it, just to be safe.
I find Magnesium Oxide before bed effective enough to induce a good bowel movement the next morning.

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

Also, I don't think it improved my motility / digestive issues at all. But that might be different for you
How did you take it?
Prokinetics are best taken at least 4h from your last meal, so it can exert its effects best in a 12 hour fast/ overnight window. That way, it stimulates the MMC more strongly.

Example: last meal at 8pm, take it at 12am, and eat at 8am in the morning or later.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals