Is It Dangerous To Take NDT If You Don't Need It?

OP
C

connorj123

Did you also get your cholesterol checked? If it's too low, thyroid supplementation can elevate stress hormones. I had to monitor my cholesterol level while I was figuring out my thyroid dose. My doctor had me on too much at one point and I was noticing symptoms of excess adrenaline returning -- heart palpitations, shortness of breath, overheating but cold extremities etc. I had her check my cholesterol and it had gone from 210 to 122 in a month -- way too low!

That might be due to adrenaline. The body pulls heat from the extremities to keep vital organs warm when temps are low. Do your hands and feet warm up as your temps rise through the afternoon? I had cold hands and feet but my temps averaged 98.6°+ and when I first started taking NDT, my temps actually dropped, revealing that adrenaline had been falsely elevating them. Now my extremities stay warm most of the time and my temps are back up.

to be honest with you there have been loads of times where my temp has been 98 + yet my hands and feet are still ice cold / blue. sometimes after i eat a few burgers my temp will rise and my hands and feet will be warm, but that doesnt always happen after i eat, only now and again. i dont have a private doctor at the minute unfortunately so this is all a pain in the ****. i cant remember what my cholesterol was but it came back in a normal range apparently ....

do you take NDT at all? the only thing i know is coffee makes feel 10x bettter, which i think could be because the caffeine can act like thyroid from what ive heard ray peat say

OP
C

connorj123

Did you also get your cholesterol checked? If it's too low, thyroid supplementation can elevate stress hormones. I had to monitor my cholesterol level while I was figuring out my thyroid dose. My doctor had me on too much at one point and I was noticing symptoms of excess adrenaline returning -- heart palpitations, shortness of breath, overheating but cold extremities etc. I had her check my cholesterol and it had gone from 210 to 122 in a month -- way too low!

That might be due to adrenaline. The body pulls heat from the extremities to keep vital organs warm when temps are low. Do your hands and feet warm up as your temps rise through the afternoon? I had cold hands and feet but my temps averaged 98.6°+ and when I first started taking NDT, my temps actually dropped, revealing that adrenaline had been falsely elevating them. Now my extremities stay warm most of the time and my temps are back up.

oh sorry just read it again and i can see u are taking ndt. has it helped you ??? i have had my hypo symptoms for 7 yrs and ive tried all the diets and everything else. not a single thing worked, just mild improvements.. my latest tsh was 3.2 but im awaiting blood results to get another reading of it because its fluctuating quite a bit. i read on forefront health u are hypothyroid if its above 1.5. i've read online a lot of people only feel better when they get their tsh down to 1

BearWithMe

With each message you post, I'm more and more convinced that your metabolism is in very bad condition and your issues are not caused by low thyroid - low thyroid is actually a consequence of your poor metabolism. You will make things worse, forcing your metabolism to speed up by supplementing thyroid, and probably crash really hard.

Fix your underlying health issues and with proper nutrition, the metabolism will fix itself. This will also fix your thyroid.

Last edited:
OP
C

connorj123

With each message you post, I'm more and more convinced that your metabolism is in very bad condition and your issues are not caused by low thyroid - low thyroid is actually a consequence of your poor metabolism. You will make things worse, speeding metabolism up by supplementing thyroid, and probably crash really hard.

What makes you say that?

Jennifer

the only thing i know is coffee makes feel 10x bettter, which i think could be because the caffeine can act like thyroid from what ive heard ray peat say
I'm thinking that despite feeling better with coffee, it doesn't warm your hands and feet up or else you would just stick with that instead of NDT? If so, you might feel better with it because of an adrenaline boost from the caffeine, especially since you're struggling with fatigue.
oh sorry just read it again and i can see u are taking ndt. has it helped you ??? i have had my hypo symptoms for 7 yrs and ive tried all the diets and everything else. not a single thing worked, just mild improvements.. my latest tsh was 3.2 but im awaiting blood results to get another reading of it because its fluctuating quite a bit. i read on forefront health u are hypothyroid if its above 1.5. i've read online a lot of people only feel better when they get their tsh down to 1
No worries! :) Yep, it helped lower my adrenaline so along with keeping my extremities warm, I no longer have daily adrenaline attacks and my chronically elevated alkaline phosphatase level (tests showed it was coming from my bones) is now finally in the normal range, which is huge for me since I suffered a debilitating back injury over 10 years ago due to advanced osteoporosis (I was only in my 20s) and have been working on rebuilding my spine ever since. It also brought my elevated thyroid peroxidase antibodies down to within the normal range.

A TSH of 3.2 is a bit on the higher end, but TSH is not the best indicator IME. Temps, pulse and the Achilles tendon reflex test are better ones. You can find videos on how to perform the ATR test on YouTube if you want to check your thyroid function before taking the plunge with NDT? Not to drill you on your diet but since you mentioned burgers warming you up sometimes, I'm curious if you tried balancing the meat with another carb besides just the buns? For some, protein can drop blood sugar too low and trigger stress hormones if not enough carbs accompany it. Also, have you noticed a difference with meal frequency? When my thyroid and adrenals were at their worst, I saw a reduction in symptoms eating something every couple of hours, especially something salty, sugary and fatty.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals