Is exercise is the best thing for longevity?

Filosofy

Dr. Peter Attia posits how cardiovascular exercise on an elite level is the single most important variable for longevity.

If this is true, where does it stand against the cortisol hypothesis often espoused on this forum? And where does it stand against Haidut's find that runners have severe kidney damage post-run?

What in Dr. Attia's metrics could potentially be askew so as to suggest the longevity affirmation?

Peatful

Real quick:

Why are athletes dying “more frequently” after the jab?

Are you aware Dr Peat is a healthy 88 year old?
Never exercised.

Lastly- Joe Rogan? Joe Rogan? Figure out who this guy is and his hidden agenda.

Orome

Forum Supporter
Weightlifting and low intensity cardio can have some benefits but in regards to the title of the subject: Definitely not!

PS.: @Peatful: I think Dr. Peat is 85 years old ;).

Gustav3Y

What about the women that live very long and haven't done as much physical activity as men?
Want about some of the women who were house wifes and still very healthy at old age?

Jon2547

Real quick:

Why are athletes dying “more frequently” after the jab?

Are you aware Dr Peat is a healthy 88 year old?
Never exercised.

Lastly- Joe Rogan? Joe Rogan? Figure out who this guy is and his hidden agenda.
Joe Rogan- CIA connection - i don't trust him any further than I could throw him.

Peatful

Dave_Fit

Isn't Attia a huge fasting proponent as well? I feel like there is this idea of what healthy looks like physically, for some it's being thin, for most it looks like an athlete (pick your favorite, sprinter, gymnast, boxer, dancer, whatever ) usually defined as a person with good muscle tone. While this societal view is held in rather high regard it does not necessarily guarantee health. Many athletes do a lot of unhealthy things with diet and severe stress from exercise. I am not saying there is anything wrong with trying to look good (whatever that means for a person) I can not see how extreme cardio would be the answer.

Also what is up with the 75 European athletes who died or became seriously ill shortly after the jab? (I have not vetted this article, it was passed to me)

Ben.

I remember one guy on his "show" that said the opposite of "elite level cardio" and that was simple walking or "running" where you can breath normaly. Excercise in general that allows you to breathe normaly and talk. I think he was specific about mitochondrial health / training.

Not only would this be more in line of what the RP forum proposes, it also makes sense imo from a biological point. It still leads to increased bloodflow, trigger of cellular mechanisms while simultanously not overtaxxing or overstressing the body.

Most pro athletes do suffer or will suffer health wise. Especially from a mechanical point of view (messed up joints, usually hip/knees or shoulder depending on the sport). I mean ... common ... they go to the very limits to become the best of the best. That is not health. Impressive perhaps, but not health.

Gustav3Y

It is quite the other way around, health allows one to be a better sportsman (since it seems we exclude females).
Think about the people who go for a run, sweat then they get ill, then other people go for a run, sweat and don't get ill ever.

Perry Staltic

What about the women that live very long and haven't done as much physical activity as men?
Want about some of the women who were house wifes and still very healthy at old age?

Housework actually can be a lot of exercise.

TurboTime

I remember one guy on his "show" that said the opposite of "elite level cardio" and that was simple walking or "running" where you can breath normaly. Excercise in general that allows you to breathe normaly and talk. I think he was specific about mitochondrial health / training.
That sounds like Pavel Tsatsouline. One of the few Episodes I've listened to because the guy seems legit.

View: https://youtu.be/Ii845pDRC2c?t=376

Instead of trying to trash the muscle with acid we are trying to train in a way that to produce less acid and then only before the competition - right before the competition, a couple weeks out - you do a couple of kind of a smokers to get yourself used to that (dealing with large amounts of lactic acid)

So the way we develop mitochondria - which means make your muscle oxidative, make your muscle enduring and not polluting - in slow fibers it's simply moving right below anaerobic threshold. So anaerobic threshold it's that intensity at which acid is accumulating just up to a certain point it stays at that steady state and you can keep disposing of that for a while, for quite a while. As soon as you go above it, very rapidly, you crash. So running right below that aerobic threshold is the primary training method for endurance athletes. And how do you know that you ran the threshold? When you're failing the talk test. That's a simple way to do that.

Last edited:

Gustav3Y

Housework actually can be a lot of exercise.
It is only a lot if you have a job, if you job is to be at home it is very little work, as you do little by little each day, no need for heavy work all day long, like you would have something better to do.
Some of these women I know are impressive long lived and healthy.

Perry Staltic

I was swimming a 1000 m non-stop and just switched to swimming a mile in three 500 yd increments. I'm less winded and less tired swimming a longer distance when I break it up like that and catch my breath. It actually feels like I haven't even exercised compared to before. Muscles might be a little tireder, but that's it.

Last edited:

PxD

I think some people on this forum misunderstand what Peat says about exercise, case in point the quote from above about Peat being a healthy octogenarian who's never exercised. I suspect some people use this as an excuse for their own out-of-shape condition - "Peat says this is actually good".

From what I recall of his writings, he's broadly stated two ideas about exercise:

1) Concentric muscle contraction is good. That means weightlifting is good.
2) Buildup of lactate is bad. So, Crossfit AMRAPs are no good. He's also written that integrative exercise of a holistic kind is healthy. I've taken this to mean things like going for long walks in nature (hiking), gardening, or even swimming or cycling, provided you don't trash your muscles.

Peatful

I think some people on this forum misunderstand what Peat says about exercise, case in point the quote from above about Peat being a healthy octogenarian who's never exercised. I suspect some people use this as an excuse for their own out-of-shape condition - "Peat says this is actually good".

From what I recall of his writings, he's broadly stated two ideas about exercise:

2) Buildup of lactate is bad. So, Crossfit AMRAPs are no good. He's also written that integrative exercise of a holistic kind is healthy. I've taken this to mean things like going for long walks in nature (hiking), gardening, or even swimming or cycling, provided you don't trash your muscles.
A few clarifications:

1- I said “real quick”. I had no time to write anything more.
2- what a person does vs what a person writes are two different things.
3- Peat is indeed healthy. Peat himself does not traditionally exercise his muscles. Concentric or otherwise.
He has said, I paraphrase: “about once a year I do some squats to see if I can get off the ground“ (or something like that. You get the idea).

If im wrong I stand corrected.

T

tca300

When looking at long lived animals, Co2 seems to be a major factor.

Breath holders seem to live pretty long - bowhead whale, the giant tortoise and nile crocodiles.

The marine iguana lives ~60 years and can hold its breath for 60 minutes, while a basic iguana taps out around 15 years.

Elephants likely have high Co2 because of their trunk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasaari

"A 25-year review of autopsies in military recruits by Eckart showed a higher than expected rate of nontraumatic death at 13 per 100,000 recruits per year.8 86% of these deaths were related to exercise. Of those determined to be cardiac in origin, 61% were secondary to coronary artery pathology. The surprising finding is that despite autopsy, 35% of deaths determined to be nontraumatic sudden death were idiopathic. Another 20% of the cardiac deaths were diagnosed as myocarditis. Is it possible that the physical demand of these recruits played a role in the idiopathic and myocarditis deaths? That is an issue worth exploring through the lens of endotoxemia."

And when you add the vax to that, well we know what happens then.

"Engaging in prolonged endurance training or endurance events creates multiple physiologic stressors to alter our physiology. Blood flow must be redirected from central gut and liver to the peripheral muscle mass as well as the skin to facilitate heat release. This leads to a relative bowel ischemia as the splanchnic blood flow is reduced by 80%.22-24 Further exacerbating this ischemia is the simple volume loss due to sweat, the mechanical damage from the microtrauma of running, as well as thermal insult from rising body temperatures that all combine to worsen the mucosal damage occurring in the gut lining.25,26 This shock-induced damage results in loss of intestinal wall integrity and death to gram-negative organisms. The cell walls of gram-negative bacteria are composed of LPS, also known as endotoxins. LPS comprise 75% of the cell walls of gram-negative bacteria, and a single gram-negative bacterial cell wall can release 1 million LPS molecules into circulation.27,28

Excessive release of LPS secondary to bowel ischemia and loss of barrier effect can overwhelm the portal circulation and the Kupffer cells' ability to neutralize them, resulting in entry to the general circulation where they cause significant adverse symptoms. The intestinal permeability induced by these sporting activities is thought to explain the high rate of occurrence of GI complaints such as diarrhea, cramps, and vomiting.29-31 The occurrence of GI issues has been reported to range from 30% to 93% of all endurance athletes and represents a common problem that is often unrecognized as a serious sign of endotoxemia. Recall that LPS endotoxemia is the process of sepsis, so other sepsislike symptoms may emerge, including fever, shivering, headache, and muscle ache.32-38

Endurance training clearly taxes liver function, as demonstrated by the Moncada-Jimènez study wherein endurance athletes completing a duathlon demonstrated endotoxemia in 50% of participants.39 Beyond that, all participants showed an increase in both AST and ALT level after their event. This reflects that during periods of endurance training, the reduction in splanchnic blood flow leading to bacterial death and translocation across the intestinal wall enter the portal circulation to reach the liver and induce the acute phase response. This same finding has been demonstrated in all types of endurance sport athletes, including cyclists, marathoners, and others.40-42"

"In the Jeukendrup study, 29 triathletes were followed with blood test before and after an Ironman distance triathlon, and a full 93% reported GI issues; 68% had endotoxemia defined as LPS levels >5 pg/ml.56 Other measures of note were IL-6 levels elevated 27-fold and CRP increased 20-fold. Interestingly, this study followed these athletes with blood measures 16 hours after the race and found that the rate of endotoxemia had increased from 68% to 79% at the 16-hour mark, demonstrating the extended effect of such physical efforts. The prealbumin level was reduced by 12%, consistent with acute phase reactions wherein the body directs efforts in making CRP and fibrinogen at the expense of making albumin and prealbumin. This is expected in the face of high CRP which was documented. In another extreme endurance event, Brocke-Utne demonstrated an endotoxemia occurrence rate of 81%.57"

"Short-term benefits may be seen with our innate immune response to transient inflammation. Mann's experiments, which employed a short-term preload with LPS, demonstrated a protective effect, similar to the concept of hormesis.73 But he went on to report that the chronic nature of the inflammatory process of repeated LPS exposure is damaging, leading to atherosclerosis. The recurrent activation of TLR-4 is damaging to cardiovascular health and produces fibrosis of the myocyte."

"Lower GI symptoms, such as intestinal cramps, diarrhoea–sometimes bloody–and urge to defecate seem to be more related to changes in gut motility and tone, as well as a secretion. These symptoms are to a large extent induced by the degree of decrease in GI blood flow and the secretion of secretory substances such as vasoactive intestinal peptide, secretin and peptide-histidine-methionine. Intensive exercise causes considerable reflux, delays small intestinal transit, reduces absorption and tends to increase colonic transit. The latter may reduce whole gut transit time. The gut is not an athletic organ in the sense that it adapts to increased exercise-induced physiological stress. However, adequate training leads to a less dramatic decrease of GI blood flow at submaximal exercise intensities and is important in the prevention of GI symptoms."

A little gym, a little Hiit and fun walks could be good ways to exercise and improve health.

FitnessMike

HighT

Yes, but concentric means only when you push the weight. For example when you are doing bench press you are pushing up the barbell for a concenric movement, but when you taking the weight down towards your chest, thats the excentric part. I've heard from haidut that excentric is very bad, although many gym coaches advice to do the excenric part of bench press slowly in order to receive more pressure...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals