Intermittent Blocked Nostril

Ron J

Occurs when I lay down on my bed; a random nostril completely shuts off the airway(inflamed not mucous), allowing me to only breathe through one nostril. Would aspirin take care of it? I'm sure CO2 is a factor since I can sometimes temporarily reverse it by bag breathing/holding my breath.

gilbert90

Happens to me aswell if I lay on my back, not if I lay on my stomach though. Lying on your back causes overbreathing > loss of Co2 wich causes the plugged nose.
I get this whenever I eat something that irritates my gut aswell.

It's normal to have one nostril open and the other closed. They switch off every 20 minutes or so. Only when exercising do both open simultaneously.

OP
R

Ron J

It's normal to have one nostril open and the other closed. They switch off every 20 minutes or so. Only when exercising do both open simultaneously.
Alright. It's annoying when trying to fall asleep. During the day it isn't completely blocked, just slightly.

Alright. It's annoying when trying to fall asleep. During the day it isn't completely blocked, just slightly.

bag breathing will help. Make sure you have your MOUTH CLOSED during the day, especially when exercising. Tape your mouth at night before going to sleep. This will resolve quite nicely.

Sucrates

From the title I thought this would be something one would want to combine with cross-fit and a high fat diet.

WestCoaster

Sounds like the simple nasal cycle except perhaps you have a deviated septum on that side? If that is the case, no intervention other than surgery will fix it. Your turbinates inside can swell and deswell depending on what food/drink you consume; however, if the actual septum wall is pushed over, that can't be rectified without surgery. Usually, it's more noticeable when one lays down, especially on the affected side.

OP
R

Ron J

bag breathing will help. Make sure you have your MOUTH CLOSED during the day, especially when exercising. Tape your mouth at night before going to sleep. This will resolve quite nicely.
Thanks for the advice.
Sucrates: Don't give them ideas.
WestCoaster: I hope that's not the case; I wouldn't want surgery. Since it cycles from one nostril to the other, it's probably not a deviated septum. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
R

Ron J

maybe a consequence of endotoxin. activated charcoal has worked for me.
I'm getting vitamin B1 to raise CO2, if that doesn't work I'll try aspirin. If both don't work, then back to bag breathing.

Thanks a lot.
What would you rate(1-10/10) thiamine, aspirin and bag breathing in regards to their effect in CO2 concentration?

i took about 1g of thiamine for a week and my CO2 levels zoomed. But I won't do something that depends on a supplement long term. It was an experiment and I'm done with that. It made me smell bad, BTW.

Bag breathing and similar techniques (Buteyko) is the best because it resets your body's "capnostat" for higher CO2 levels and higher oxygenation levels.

For me it became a lifestyle that I continue to this day and that serves me very well.

OP
R

Ron J

i took about 1g of thiamine for a week and my CO2 levels zoomed. But I won't do something that depends on a supplement long term. It was an experiment and I'm done with that. It made me smell bad, BTW.

Bag breathing and similar techniques (Buteyko) is the best because it resets your body's "capnostat" for higher CO2 levels and higher oxygenation levels.

For me it became a lifestyle that I continue to this day and that serves me very well.
I'll keep it in mind. Thank you.

burtlancast

You absolutely need to surelevate your bed on the head side ( the maximum possible), which will keep the swelling of the turbinates to a minimum by preventing the blood to rush to your head.

Check if you have a deviated septum ( yes, surgery is highly advisable if that's the case; at the same time, the surgeon will cut into the excess hypertrophied turbinate tissue, which will improve things even more).

There are nasal strips advertised on the net, i have absolutely no idea if they work on this problem.

OP
R

Ron J

You absolutely need to surelevate your bed on the head side ( the maximum possible), which will keep the swelling of the turbinates to a minimum by preventing the blood to rush to your head.

Check if you have a deviated septum ( yes, surgery is highly advisable if that's the case; at the same time, the surgeon will cut into the excess hypertrophied turbinate tissue, which will improve things even more).

There are nasal strips advertised on the net, i have absolutely no idea if they work on this problem.
Currently I don't use pillows, but I'm certain that I had the same problem when I used two stacked pillows.

LukeL

Same thing happens to me - I assume it is metabolism related? I am experimenting with Thiamine, Aspirin, and Pregnenolone before bed and it seems to open up my nasal passages :)

Sitting up or elevating your head and upper body definitely helps a lot. Sleeping flat drains your body of more CO2. Not nearly as healthy.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals