How to make the Kidneys healthy again and reverse kidney disease?

Josh

I posted a month back about my creatinine levels coming back high, I got the levels re tested recently again and the following showed:
-Creatinine: 116umol/L (59-104)
-Urea: 8.7mmol/L (2.5 - 7.8)
-EGFR: 71 (>60)

So not great, prior to this test I did no exercise for probably a week to two weeks before, I do eat a fair bit of meat and did the night before this test, about 150-170g protein a day through steak/chicken/cod etc..

I could not get cystatin c blood test.

I do get fatigue and I think I get more noticeable fatigue not long after eating a meal containing PROTEIN like steak for example.. I'm convinced this is the cause of my fatigue.

Where do I go from here, if my kidneys are not functioning or if I have some sort of kidney disease? How can I resolve this?

Elie

Forum Supporter
I posted a month back about my creatinine levels coming back high, I got the levels re tested recently again and the following showed:

So not great, prior to this test I did no exercise for probably a week to two weeks before, I do eat a fair bit of meat and did the night before this test, about 150-170g protein a day through steak/chicken/cod etc..

I do get fatigue and I think I get more noticeable fatigue not long after eating a meal containing PROTEIN like steak for example.. I'm convinced this is the cause of my fatigue.

Where do I go from here, if my kidneys are not functioning or if I have some sort of kidney disease? How can I resolve this?
Look for posts on the forum about kidney disease and thiamin.
the kidneys are highly vascular, so anything that restores blood vessel integrity VIt C, copper, manganese, vit E, niacinamide
Also look into Cistanche deserticola, cordyceps and possibly Astragalus.

Tom K

One of the kidneys' main function is buffering pH. The kidney produces bicarbonate to buffer acidity. By consuming bicarbonates and assisting in this process, kidney function is improved and in some cases partially restored. This phenomenon has been proven with dialysis patients, though few centers us this intervention. Sodium bicarb is the least expensive and effective method to incorporate this process. Citric acid, though an acid, is used in the krebs cycle to produce bicarbonate. Do not take bicarbonates near meals as they will reduce the hydrochloric acid in the stomach and interfere with digestion.

mostlylurking

Thiamine and kidneys info links:

One of the kidneys' main function is buffering pH.
Thiamine is required for oxidative metabolism. If there is a thiamine deficiency or functional blockage, the end product of metabolism is lactic acid instead of carbon dioxide. Lactic acid production lowers body ph. Carbon dioxide production normalizes body ph. Optimizing oxidative metabolism would correct the ph so the kidneys wouldn't have such a high burden of work to do.

P

Peatness

150-170g protein is a lot of protein. Do you need that much?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I work in dialysis and can confirm that nephrologists find good results with sodium bicarbonate. We give B vitamins to all our patients and very few (but not none) do recover kidney function and stop dialysis. The kidneys can somewhat recover if the circumstances are right.

When I worked in hospitals, every bodybuilder that was admitted had high creatinine and BUN, slightly above average. The increased muscle mass tends to result in higher creatinine, and the BUN tends to reflect the higher protein intake. On the flipdsise, frail older ladies that weren't eating well had low BUN and lower creatinine. No, their kidneys weren't super duper.

Get your cystatin c. Speak with your doctor and they can get it ordered for you. There is not need to scare yourself unnecessarily.

dallascat

One of the kidneys' main function is buffering pH. The kidney produces bicarbonate to buffer acidity. By consuming bicarbonates and assisting in this process, kidney function is improved and in some cases partially restored. This phenomenon has been proven with dialysis patients, though few centers us this intervention. Sodium bicarb is the least expensive and effective method to incorporate this process. Citric acid, though an acid, is used in the krebs cycle to produce bicarbonate. Do not take bicarbonates near meals as they will reduce the hydrochloric acid in the stomach and interfere with digestion.

I assume potassium bicarbonate works just as well?

Don

There is a Copper group on FB see link below. I believe I have seen lots of people find kidney help there. Its a bit anti peat with taking copper but lots of people having great results. I found all this from Matt Blackburn. Guy who wrote a book is Jason Hommel

golder

There is a Copper group on FB see link below. I believe I have seen lots of people find kidney help there. Its a bit anti peat with taking copper but lots of people having great results. I found all this from Matt Blackburn. Guy who wrote a book is Jason Hommel
Anti peat? I’ve not heard him mention copper in a negative fashion?

golder

My kidneys aren’t in great shape but I’m always craving salt. Is there a way to reduce the cravings or lessen the impact from high salt?

Thiamine and kidneys info links:

Thiamine is required for oxidative metabolism. If there is a thiamine deficiency or functional blockage, the end product of metabolism is lactic acid instead of carbon dioxide. Lactic acid production lowers body ph. Carbon dioxide production normalizes body ph. Optimizing oxidative metabolism would correct the ph so the kidneys wouldn't have such a high burden of work to do.

Do you think bag breathing then would be something beneficial for someone with failing kidneys?

How much bicarbonate do you suppose is best?

mostlylurking

Do you think bag breathing then would be something beneficial for someone with failing kidneys?
I suppose so but why not just take some thiamine? Thiamine is required for oxidative metabolism, with the end product being carbon dioxide. It is used in every cell to make ATP (cellular energy). The carbon dioxide serves a positive purpose but just increasing carbon dioxide without correcting the oxidative metabolism so ATP can be made efficiently seems to miss the point.

I suppose so but why not just take some thiamine? Thiamine is required for oxidative metabolism, with the end product being carbon dioxide. It is used in every cell to make ATP (cellular energy). The carbon dioxide serves a positive purpose but just increasing carbon dioxide without correcting the oxidative metabolism so ATP can be made efficiently seems to miss the point.
Just because supplements can be a slippery slope and I am hesitant to recommend any brands, and bag breathing has so many other benefits.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals