Glycine

iLoveSugar

Want to start supplementing with glycine.

When to take? How often? How much? Can this help digestion?

sladerunner69

I generally take 6 grams per day. I take 1mg with meals, and 3grams before bed.

Some people complain about their digestion getting worse from glycine. It isnt natural for the body to intake pure concentrated aminos. That is why it may be advisable to take it with food.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Wow. Which brand?

I switched to gelatin after multiple attempts at single or double gram servings caused me to break wind for the rest of the day. Maybe I need to try blending it into a liquid.

Why would you rather take glycine as opposed to just gelatin as a whole?

inthedark

I've taken up to 60-70g glycine a day in one dose for a few days at a time. Usually I take around 5g every few days long term. I mix it with orange juice. Much more affordable than gelatin and less likely to cause digestive problems for me.

Good news everyone (in Farnsworth's voice)! I've discovered a method of delivering grams of glycine into the body without triggering, erm-- as they euphemize in India-- loose motions.

The solution has been to add the glycine to a tablespoon of gelatin, then pour boiling water over the mix and stir. Adding a teaspoon of decaff improves taste but is not required as integral to the solution. So far I've worked my way up to 7.2 grams (9 servings of 800mg) added to one tablespoon of gelatin without experiencing any digestive negatives. The other aminos in gelatin seem to balance the added glycine because when I just added glycine to hot water and instant coffee, more than 800mg would send me to the restroom.

The only let down has been not noticing dramatic health improvements from introducing quantities of glycine into the daily regimen beyond what gelatin and magnesium glycinate provided, but for now theoretical benefits suffice.

Jib

I'm taking a few grams a day. Since doing some more research on MTHFR (I'm compound heterozygous for C677T and A1298C), I came across this:

Living With MTHFR | Mastering Nutrition Podcast

And have started supplementing this:

1-3 grams of glycine
1-5 grams creatine

Mixed into grape juice. With a pill of Phosphatidylcholine (420mg) and Jigsaw magnesium (125mg magnesium).

Glycine would send me to the bathroom straight away in the past. Lately, for whatever reason, my bowel tolerance for things seems to be much better (knock on wood). I'm hoping I can keep up with moderate doses of glycine as everything I read about it seems to be positive.

I do have some collagen left, and used to take that regularly. Glycine is cheaper and more direct. Will have to try larger amounts at bedtime to see if it can help with sleep, which I usually have issues with.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals