L-theanine / How Much And When?

Motif

how much, how often and when should I take it? Before meals? After? Doesn’t matter?

What would be too much and what’s your experiences and how long did it take til you felt something from it?

And how long do you feel an effect after taking it ?

Same questions for glycine! Will start both today.

Last edited:

YourUniverse

I've used both, I would have them in the morning while I'm home. Theanine goes well with coffee IMO.

I'm not sure dose matters, I dont think either can be overdosed. 500mg is a big dose of theanine, and a teaspoon is fine for glycine, not knowing what other foods youre eating at the time

opethfeldt

It depends what you want to get out of it. Theanine lowers cortisol and reduces the stress response even in low doses like 25mg. If that's what you want, taking 25mg with your morning coffee and maybe a second dose at 2pm or so would be ideal. If you want serotonin reduction, 500mg would be the ideal dose, but even 200 would have a strong effect.

As for the glycine, I would recommend at least 500mg. It seems to become more beneficial the more you take, so there's really no reasonable dose that would be too much.

TheSir

I've read of people having severe benzo-like withdrawals from chronic theanine use due to its gabaergic effects.

Based on reviewed studies seems like theanine alone won't do much, it's better to be consumed with caffeine or simply green tea.

"The reviewed studies presented evidence that green tea influences psychopathological symptoms (e.g. reduction of anxiety), cognition (e.g. benefits in memory and attention) and brain function (e.g. activation of working memory seen in functional MRI). The effects of green tea cannot be attributed to a single constituent of the beverage. This is exemplified in the finding that beneficial green tea effects on cognition are observed under the combined influence of both caffeine and l-theanine, whereas separate administration of either substance was found to have a lesser impact."

Green tea effects on cognition, mood and human brain function: A systematic review

OP
M

Motif

I've read of people having severe benzo-like withdrawals from chronic theanine use due to its gabaergic effects.

Wow, ok.

I just took a higher dose than usually from l theanine and I feel so good, but I have to say I took a higher dose of potassium too and potassium is my holy grail. It relaxes me like crazy and my heart beat gets smoother and I think it lowers blood pressure for me too, but just a feeling. I need to test this.

TheSir

Wow, ok.

I just took a higher dose than usually from l theanine and I feel so good, but I have to say I took a higher dose of potassium too and potassium is my holy grail. It relaxes me like crazy and my heart beat gets smoother and I think it lowers blood pressure for me too, but just a feeling. I need to test this.
When supplementing non-essential things like theanine, often the better they make you feel the worse you are going to crash at some point. Not saying this will happen to you, just something to be aware of. What type of potassium are you using? Chloride?

OP
M

Motif

When supplementing non-essential things like theanine, often the better they make you feel the worse you are going to crash at some point. Not saying this will happen to you, just something to be aware of. What type of potassium are you using? Chloride?

I started with chloride and that’s when I noticed what an awesome effect potassium has on me, but I got super bad skin from it (one of my chronic symptoms I guess from histamine), so I tried other forms and now I take gluconate and tolerate it well

jmojo

I started with chloride and that’s when I noticed what an awesome effect potassium has on me, but I got super bad skin from it (one of my chronic symptoms I guess from histamine), so I tried other forms and now I take gluconate and tolerate it well

That's interesting about the potassium. How much potassium gluconate are you taking per time?

dukesbobby777

Wow, ok.

Aren’t all potassium supplements very low in potassium? I’ve never bothered looking into potassium because of that. I figured it was easier just getting much larger amounts from OJ, milk, potatoes, green leaves, etc.

jmojo

Aren’t all potassium supplements very low in potassium? I’ve never bothered looking into potassium because of that. I figured it was easier just getting much larger amounts from OJ, milk, potatoes, green leaves, etc.
That's true but there's definitely a different effect when it comes to supplemental potassium. It's a more noticeable concentrated experience. It's available to be immediately taken in by the body instead of extracted from food. This could be good or bad in certain situations.

Hitchens

I thought L-theanine raises serotonin not lowers it. I have low serotonin and find it helps me when I have anxiety.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Wow, ok.

What do you get your potassium from?