Genetically having high cholesterol

Fay

after not losing much cholesterol although I lost 20 pounds, my doctor insists that I have genetically high cholesterol. She wants me to take anti cholesterol meds. My cholesterol is 280. I am quite peaty. My friends keep being examples of people I know and that they died in sleep (had genetically high cholesterol ) and never took cholesterol medication. I even thought of Ray Peat himself. Should I start taking the med? If so which one has the lowest side affects? Thanks.

@John mcclain Can I ask you if you are a man or a woman? LDL and HDL values? the question is also addressed to the author of the thread...my mother started statins two days ago even though I tried to avoid this choice. She is in menopause, 64 years old. Total 300. we remember LDL and HDL

TheSir

In recent years triglyceride to HDL ratio has emerged as a better predictor of heart disease than LDL or total cholesterol. Interestingly the ratio also predicts chances of developing diabetes and cancer, so it seems like a good marker for overall metabolic health. I'm starting to appreciate that ratios might often be more important than absolute values when it comes to health.

Last edited:

John mcclain

@Highserotonin90 I'm Male 45...have done pretty much every way of eating vegan had my cholesterol low peat had near normal and carnivore sends it sky wards along with how I feel...as I said above watch bart kay on utube about cholesterol and listen to peat about the scam that is cholesterol lower medication...my numbers too me nowadays means zero...they used to but not no more.

John mcclain

Ivor Cummins the fat emperor on YouTube too breaks it down into lovely science aswell if ya like

akgrrrl

It doesnt take long to find utterly opposite opinions on all the values of testings. Even scans of arteries blocked with decades of calcified plaque evoke various opinions of alarm vs nonchalant concern. Same for all the various drugs--opinions everywhere, diverse and often in conflict.

John mcclain

@akgrrrl the people telling us to be concerned are selling the cure.I'll leave you with this cholesterol or saturated fat has never been PROVEN to cause heart disease...NEVER.and if it had I wouldn't be typing this.or you could link the study/proof?!

GreekDemiGod

The fact that no one here is looking into the mortality rate for people with genetic high cholesterol tells me you are contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.

Peatress

“There was a book that was used as a text in genetics. It was called Classical Papers in Genetics. And reading through that, I couldn't find any case in which the facts were honestly presented. It was really a little handbook of ideology. My experience with the academic science people was that they are very heavy on ideology, very light on facts.” Ray Peat

OP
F

Fay

In recent years triglyceride to HDL ratio has emerged as a better predictor of heart disease than LDL or total cholesterol. Interestingly the ratio also predicts chances of developing diabetes and cancer, so it seems like a good marker for overall metabolic health. I'm starting to appreciate that ratios might often be more important than absolute values when it comes to health.

I am 63 years old woman. These are lipid panel:
Cholesterol,LDL,Calc184 High
Cholesterol, HDL47 Low

OP
F

Fay

So my trig/dhl is 239/47. Is it good? Also cardio:
hsCRP (Cardio CRP) and CV Risk0.38 mg/L
And more cardio test
Apolipoprotein A1136108 - 225 mg/dLFinal
Apolipoprotein B165 High 60 - 117 mg/dLFiNal

OP
F

Fay

@John mcclain Can I ask you if you are a man or a woman? LDL and HDL values? the question is also addressed to the author of the thread...my mother started statins two days ago even though I tried to avoid this choice. She is in menopause, 64 years old. Total 300. we remember LDL and HDL
I am 63 and in menopause. I have taken t4 and t3 for the past 30 years. Just found out I have osteoporosis and really feel like most of you commenting are too young and don’t see why older people are dying as much and why. Lol. I hate to take statin or something similar but increasing thyroid never helped me lower my cholostrol either.

TheSir

So my trig/dhl is 239/47.
Yeah, it's pretty high at over 5 unfortunately. Higher ratio means smaller LDL particle size which is harmful.
EyjQJldVgAEdUZi.png

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals