High Cholesterol, High TSH, need help again :/

OP
beeohbeebeewhy
I finally decided to get some blood labs I had been sitting on, a comprehensive metabolic panel and everything is within range except for ALT, its 76, pretty out of range. I assume this is from my Finasteride use or some sort of infection I had, I wish I didn’t put off getting the test, now i’ll have to really figure out what’s going on. I’m really starting to think I ****88 myself with Finasteride, since i’m having eye problems and thyroid problems and everything. If anyone have any experience with elevated ALT i’d appreciate it, thanks much.

Attachments

• 0143AC38-2FCE-4B48-9C60-55C42A80D7C5.jpeg
    0143AC38-2FCE-4B48-9C60-55C42A80D7C5.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 1A0230FC-9317-4C37-810E-8074D2C5D2D3.jpeg
    1A0230FC-9317-4C37-810E-8074D2C5D2D3.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 12

gaze

have you tried eating less fat? less bacon, less coconut oil, less ice cream, less whole milk?

OP
beeohbeebeewhy
have you tried eating less fat? less bacon, less coconut oil, less ice cream, less whole milk?
I’ve stopped eating bacon and I rarely have ice cream now, I do think that is a good idea tho. Unfortunately I only really tolerate this one brand of whole milk from whole foods, whenever I try UHT or vit D/A enriched milk I get gut problems, I should probably cut down on the milk tho, maybe start skimming it myself. But yeah I was eating tons of fat for the past half year thinking I needed to eat more calories and as long as it wasn’t too much PUFA I thought I’d be good. Honestly it was very reckless of me. How much fat would you recommend I cut down to?

gaze

I’ve stopped eating bacon and I rarely have ice cream now, I do think that is a good idea tho. Unfortunately I only really tolerate this one brand of whole milk from whole foods, whenever I try UHT or vit D/A enriched milk I get gut problems, I should probably cut down on the milk tho, maybe start skimming it myself. But yeah I was eating tons of fat for the past half year thinking I needed to eat more calories and as long as it wasn’t too much PUFA I thought I’d be good. Honestly it was very reckless of me. How much fat would you recommend I cut down to?
i think targeting a macro amount isn't very useful, or doing things like forcing yourself to eat a bunch of food/calories. the idea that you need to over feed to fix metabolism is only applicable in some extreme anorexia situations but not for most people with low thyroid. i think in general choosing lower fat things when you can is a good idea, for example not overly drenching meals in butter, or not eating a ton of ice cream. no need to cut the whole milk, but you can lower fat elsewhere in your diet when stop force feeding yourself. goat milk is also a good option and even though it's fatty it tends to cause less issues for people. if you focus on on getting sufficient minerals, vitamin D, vitamins, and eating carbs and protein to satiety, that will help lower stress and help you naturally lose weight, alongside some beneficial fibers and walking to get things moving. following your cravings is very important. have you checoed your vit D ?

OP
beeohbeebeewhy
i think targeting a macro amount isn't very useful, or doing things like forcing yourself to eat a bunch of food/calories. the idea that you need to over feed to fix metabolism is only applicable in some extreme anorexia situations but not for most people with low thyroid. i think in general choosing lower fat things when you can is a good idea, for example not overly drenching meals in butter, or not eating a ton of ice cream. no need to cut the whole milk, but you can lower fat elsewhere in your diet when stop force feeding yourself. goat milk is also a good option and even though it's fatty it tends to cause less issues for people. if you focus on on getting sufficient minerals, vitamin D, vitamins, and eating carbs and protein to satiety, that will help lower stress and help you naturally lose weight, alongside some beneficial fibers and walking to get things moving. following your cravings is very important. have you checoed your vit D ?
I had basically an eating disorder in high school and parts of college, lost my appetite and would just intermittent fast for a lot of the day bc I just wasn’t hungry and wanted to stay skinny, so I took eating over the top for a while after discovering Peat. Kind of difficult to gauge eating habits since my appetite comes and goes, but yeah i’ll try to become a more intuitive eater and also eat less fat when I can. Yeah i’ve been on 5,000 IU vit D per day for around half a year, last time I got it tested it was 50 which is nice.

OP
beeohbeebeewhy
You know I’ve been thinking back to the summer, when I felt pretty good compared to now, and I’ve been trying to figure out what I was doing differently then.

I used to have an 8 oz burger for dinner pretty often, not optimal but it hit the protein requirements, I’ve noticed after having liver or protein rich meals I do feel warmer, I kind of got careless these past few months, I weigh a lot more than I did, so maybe by taking a lot of caffeine, thyroid, so maybe i’m just not getting enough protein. Usually I’ll have 1-2 cokes a day, 2-4 cups of coffee, 2 tbsp of surgar per cup, but recently I don’t really crave milk or coffee, and even coke isn’t as appealing.

Recently i’ve felt that caffeine even gives me a stress response, like adrenaline, just a few months ago it used to relax me. So I think i’ll cut back on the caffeine for now, take 200 mg thiamine, 400 mg mag glycinate, up my protein to +110 g, and then come back to coffee when I feel like it.

During the summer I was also very strict about the carrot salad, I’ve been getting back into it, going on my 3rd day in a row of taking it with olive oil and salt, It definitely helps with lifting you out of this kind of zombie state, like i’m able to see colors, shapes, images in my head more clearly, its incredible how when ur in a depressed state you’re unable to have an “imagination”, I can only think in words most of the time but magnesium, carrot salads, glycine, they bring back glimpses of my mind’s eye, something which I had basically forgotten about since this summer and the fall of last year when I first started playing around with magnesium.

Thyroid itself has its benefits too, even tho NDT seems to aggravate my gut, eyes, and skin sometimes, taking thyroid makes it so I can relax, sleep, laugh, just have a general sense of calm. Recently I’ve been feeling uneasy tho, dreading death, but taking some thyroid usually does away with this feeling but i’m still trying to figure out what the problem is. I think its my liver, or something else affecting the liver, but I need to eat more protein, consistent carrot salad, less fat, continue thiamine/magnesium, and then hopefully I’ll see some improvement.