The Doc Said I Have High Cholesterol

Carrum

I've just had the results back from a fasting blood test. I have not had one of these for nearly 20 years. The last doctor told me last time that my cholesterol was high so it was no surprise when I was told it was high now he wanted to get me on cholesterol lowering drugs back then but I wasn't interested. My new doctor is quite concerned and also wants to get me on cholesterol lowering drugs. I'm not keen on the idea at all.

What do you think to these results? I'm in Australia so maybe it is measured differently elsewhere?

Total Chol: __ 10.0 mmol/L
Triglycerides: _ 1.0 mmol/L
HDL- C: _____ 2.0 mmol/L
LDL - C: _____ 7.5 mmol/L
Non HDL - C __ 8.0 mmo/L
Chol/HDL ratio: 5.0

Btw, I don't know if it relevant but I'm 59, not overweight at all, very active and have good blood pressure.

Last edited:

Peatful

I've just had the results back from a fasting blood test. I have not had one of these for nearly 20 years. The last doctor told me last time that my cholesterol was high so it was no surprise when I was told it was high now he wanted to get me on cholesterol lowering drugs back then but I wasn't interested. My new doctor is quite concerned and also wants to get me on cholesterol lowering drugs. I'm not keen on the idea at all.

What do you think to these results? I'm in Australia so maybe it is measured differently elsewhere?

Non HDL - C __ 8.0 mmo/L

Btw, I don't know if it relevant but I'm 59, not overweight at all, very active and have good blood pressure.

Do you have any other lab results to add?
Specifically TSH, prolactin, estradiol, calcium, Vitamin D, iron?

Bottom line- it will probably point you to hypothyroidism and or an increased stressed state.
You may be underfed. Overexersized. Poor diet with PUFA. Etc.

You probably remember that prior to a faulty TSH test (which is a pituitary measurement)- cholesterol panels and the Achilles heel test was how hypothyroidism was dx.

OP
C

Carrum

Do you have any other lab results to add?
Specifically TSH, prolactin, estradiol, calcium, Vitamin D, iron?

Bottom line- it will probably point you to hypothyroidism and or an increased stressed state.
You may be underfed. Overexersized. Poor diet with PUFA. Etc.

You probably remember that prior to a faulty TSH test (which is a pituitary measurement)- cholesterol panels and the Achilles heel test was how hypothyroidism was dx.
I had a 25 Hydroxy vitamin D test. The number it gives is 105.
I had no tests for the other things you mentioned. I may be underfed. I unintentionally lost weight in my 30's (I had a few health problems related to food allergies, food intolerance and parasites) and since then I've only managed to gain a little back. I'm unable to get the calories in like I could even with putting in quite a lot of sugar in my orange juice.

Peatful

I had a 25 Hydroxy vitamin D test. The number it gives is 105.
I had no tests for the other things you mentioned. I may be underfed. I unintentionally lost weight in my 30's (I had a few health problems related to food allergies, food intolerance and parasites) and since then I've only managed to gain a little back. I'm unable to get the calories in like I could even with putting in quite a lot of sugar in my orange juice.
Good.
That gives you something to work on.
Being underfed and having gut issues definitely puts you in a stressed state. Your adrenals have to work hard to keep your BS up / blood sugar up.
Adrenals up means thyroid down.
Thyroid down means cholesterol up.

OP
C

Carrum

One of the other tests I had done was a breath test because of my digestion issues. I'm waiting for the result of that.
Oh and urea is a little high. 9.5.

Non HDL - C __ 8.0 mmo/L

Can you link to your eating habits and such?

Peatful

One of the other tests I had done was a breath test because of my digestion issues. I'm waiting for the result of that.
Oh and urea is a little high. 9.5.
Digestive issues can certainly / easily be tied to hypothyroidism and or undereating.

OP
C

Carrum

Can you link to your eating habits and such?
Not much variety as I have a few food allergies and intolerances.
Fatty meat (I dislike lean meats), eggs, fruit, OJ, honey, cola and sugar.
I start the day with honey in hot water and then it's OJ throughout the work day and maybe a cola and in the evening it's more OJ, some fruit, 4 eggs and meat. It's the same every work day.
On the weekends and days off work I'll have a couple of eggs and some bacon for breakfast.

gaze

You mentioned to me you don’t eat dairy in another thread, but calcium is important for turning cholestrol into hormones (by activating the thyroid). It works synergistically with vitamin D. Maybe you could try goat milk cheese which almost everyone can digest, or boiling a pound of collard greens or kale in a pot of water till there’s about 2 cups of water left, then throwing out the greens and Drinking the water only for some calcium and magnesium

OP
C

Carrum

I'm in Australia. I've never seen collard greens here. Maybe they have a different name for them down here?
I tried goats milk yogurt a few times many years ago but it gave me some stomach pain. I will try goats milk cheese.

Thanks to you all for the replies so far.

schultz

You can bring that cholesterol number down in a few weeks with thyroid supplementation. As a bonus you get to convert it to useful hormones!

JKX

Or a little pregnenolone would probably do the same. Your cholesterol is elevated for a reason... your body requires it to be to offset stress. Improving thyroid is the way to go and there are multiple ways of doing so.

gaze

I'm in Australia. I've never seen collard greens here. Maybe they have a different name for them down here?
I tried goats milk yogurt a few times many years ago but it gave me some stomach pain. I will try goats milk cheese.

Thanks to you all for the replies so far.

kale, spinach, any green will work, preferably those cause they're higher in calcium.