Fatty Acids Blood test suggests I'm low in Omega's (PUFA) and should be supplementing

Callmestar

My health has been in a poor state for a few years now and I'm clutching at straws at to what's going on but I thought this might be of interest to some and wondered what the advice would be given than Peat / this forum are typically anti PUFA. As a punt in the dark, I had a blood test done to measure fatty acids. It seems to suggest I am very low in Omega 3, 6 & 9 and advises to supplement with these.

My diet is not low in fat, I have eaten plenty of butter, beef, milk etc for a long while. Also to note, I have high cholesterol which doesn't seem to want come down, even when massively cutting calories.

Should I be taking Omega's? Any ideas?

Fatty acid bloodspot test:

1654363408935.png

Dutchie

I'm no expert in this, but instead of taking a (likely rancid) fish oil supplement,why not start eating some fatty fish once or twice a week? and see how that makes you feel...

Korven

I'm no expert in this, but instead of taking a (likely rancid) fish oil supplement,why not start eating some fatty fish once or twice a week? and see how that makes you feel...

+1 Sardines or wild caught salmon is probably way better than any fish oil.

Korven

It is a little weird that your EPA, DHA and arachidonic acid are so low seeing as they are abundant in animal products such as milk, beef and eggs.

TheCodez

Matt Blackburn sure does make extra virgin unprocessed CLO sound like the nectar of life. As far as I can find, the brand he pushes is the only one that is both unprocessed and doesn't have stuff added to it.
If I were going to eat something fatty from a fish, this would definitely be it: Extra Virgin Cod Liver Oil

Sila

Don't think serum pufa levels mean much, it's the amount that is stored in tissue.

Nomane Euger

OP
C

Callmestar

@Callmestar what are your symptoms?

My main symptom is thirst, frequent urination, dehydration. As in I can't seem to retain anything I drink, it all goes straight through me leaving me always feeling depleted and dry.

Other than that, it's fatigue and post excertional malaise. Docs think I have M.E. / chronic fatigue syndrome now.

Brain fog and awful memory as well.

I think there's definitely some issue with digesting / metabolising fats. But I don't know what. Cholesterol is always high, even when limiting calories. My stools were floating almost all the time so I thought possibly undigested fats and started taking bile salts which seems to have helped a little with that and stools no longer float so regularly but no change in how I feel.

OP
C

Callmestar

It is a little weird that your EPA, DHA and arachidonic acid are so low seeing as they are abundant in animal products such as milk, beef and eggs.

Yes I don't understand it either. I was also keto for a short while a few months before this test and literally was on a diet of almost exactly that milk, beef and eggs. Obviously with some other stuff thrown in. But yes, I'm lost.

youngsinatra

You might have fat malabsorption if you have floating stools. Likely by a sluggish gall bladder, liver and bile stagnation. (Cholestasis)

You need bile to absorb fats.

HeyThere

My main symptom is thirst, frequent urination, dehydration. As in I can't seem to retain anything I drink, it all goes straight through me leaving me always feeling depleted and dry.

I hope not but pre-diabetes maybe?

sunny

Is that the only test you have or did you do other testing as well? Iron panel, thyroid panel, cbc, cholesterol panel, pth, prolactin, cmp, vitamin d, steroids, crp, histamine, homocyctine, lactic acid? Additionally, that looks like the most complete FFA test I have seen. Is it from an order yourself service or through your doctor?

Last edited:
OP
C

Callmestar

Is that the only test you have or did you do other testing as well? Iron panel, thyroid panel, cbc, cholesterol panel, pth, prolactin, cmp, vitamin d, steroids, crp, histamine, homocyctine, lactic acid? Additionally, that looks like the most complete FFA test I have seen. Is it from an order yourself service or through your doctor?

I've had tons of testing. None of it seems to get me anywhere tbh. I posted some comprehensive blood results here Chronic health problem (Dehydration) - Faint hope somebody here might have some ideas

The fatty acid blood test is from Genova diagnostics. Typically you have to go through a practitioner but there are some sites where you can order direct if you look hard enough. At least you can from the UK, not sure about elsewhere.

OP
C

Callmestar

You might have fat malabsorption if you have floating stools. Likely by a sluggish gall bladder, liver and bile stagnation. (Cholestasis)

You need bile to absorb fats.

Yeah, I'm taking bile salts which seems to have helped me feel slightly less depleted. Is there much else one can do to get the gall bladder, liver etc moving? I'm taking bile sales, digestive enzymes, Nettle leaf and milk thistle. I'm wondering of me being slightly hypo could possibly lead to the thyroid not supporting the liver?

youngsinatra

Yeah, I'm taking bile salts which seems to have helped me feel slightly less depleted. Is there much else one can do to get the gall bladder, liver etc moving? I'm taking bile sales, digestive enzymes, Nettle leaf and milk thistle. I'm wondering of me being slightly hypo could possibly lead to the thyroid not supporting the liver?
Bovine Lactoferrin. Powerful Stuff.

Nomane Euger

Other than that, it's fatigue and post excertional malaise. Docs think I have M.E. / chronic fatigue syndrome now.

Brain fog and awful memory as well.

I think there's definitely some issue with digesting / metabolising fats. But I don't know what. Cholesterol is always high, even when limiting calories. My stools were floating almost all the time so I thought possibly undigested fats and started taking bile salts which seems to have helped a little with that and stools no longer float so regularly but no change in how I feel.
whats your diet?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals