Fatty Acids Blood test suggests I'm low in Omega's (PUFA) and should be supplementing

Dr. B

"Side Effects Associated With Milk
Milk is considered to be healthier than many other types of dairy as it has more nutrients, fewer calories and less saturated fat. However, all milk products contain lactose. According to a 2014 study in the British Medical Journal, too much lactose can be bad for your health. Longitudinal studies like these have shown that drinking large amounts of milk each day (three or more glasses) may even increase the risk of mortality.

Lactose creates byproducts in your body during the digestion process that have been linked to aging, heart disease and cancers, such as prostate cancer. However, drinking milk in moderation (one or two glasses each day) doesn't seem to have the same negative effects on health. Consumption of fermented milk products or lower-lactose products (like goat's milk or plant-based milks) can also be healthier alternatives."

That info may be fake regarding lactose byproducts

artist

Based on my own experience I find the dose really really makes the poison with pufa. The hyperlipid blog has some good entries about this. PUFA should not be thought of in the same category as mono or saturated fat which are fuel, PUFA is something you want trace amounts of as basically a chemical to create certain signals. You need both omega 3 and 6 to create eicosanoids. Your body doesn’t have the ability to make these things just for fun or to sabotage you with unnecessary senescence, it’s an extremely complex system devised over millenia and trying to “hack” it with novel diets is bound to create a house of cards. The problems with PUFA start to occur when people consume “fuel” quantities of PUFA that are not achievable by normal foods via oils or supplementation, because then your body is making way too many eicosanoids that it doesn’t need and cresting runaway inflammation. They also occur when people try to eat zero pufa ie. Getting all your fat from coconut—personally this is when I stated to experience a series of hormonal issues that I haven’t completely dug myself out of 3 years later. Very low dose fish oil (or flax oil) gives me a necessary boost in hormones. When I experimented with bigger dosages (I was testing my assumptions since a lot of them had turned against me) I got severe inflammation.

I’d usually be skeptical that someone who is eating a normal diet with normal animal fats would wind up so deficient. I’m increasingly skeptical that blood tests tell us anything at all about nutrient status, it seems like half the time they are used just to feel like we have information that we don’t actually have, which would require tissue biopsies. However, based on your symptoms it sounds like you don’t absorb fats well, which could definitely cause your issue. I would try supplementing conservatively and see how your symptoms go and then look into supplementing ox bile or something else to improve your fat digestion.

Dr. B

Based on my own experience I find the dose really really makes the poison with pufa. The hyperlipid blog has some good entries about this. PUFA should not be thought of in the same category as mono or saturated fat which are fuel, PUFA is something you want trace amounts of as basically a chemical to create certain signals. You need both omega 3 and 6 to create eicosanoids. Your body doesn’t have the ability to make these things just for fun or to sabotage you with unnecessary senescence, it’s an extremely complex system devised over millenia and trying to “hack” it with novel diets is bound to create a house of cards. The problems with PUFA start to occur when people consume “fuel” quantities of PUFA that are not achievable by normal foods via oils or supplementation, because then your body is making way too many eicosanoids that it doesn’t need and cresting runaway inflammation. They also occur when people try to eat zero pufa ie. Getting all your fat from coconut—personally this is when I stated to experience a series of hormonal issues that I haven’t completely dug myself out of 3 years later. Very low dose fish oil (or flax oil) gives me a necessary boost in hormones. When I experimented with bigger dosages (I was testing my assumptions since a lot of them had turned against me) I got severe inflammation.

I’d usually be skeptical that someone who is eating a normal diet with normal animal fats would wind up so deficient. I’m increasingly skeptical that blood tests tell us anything at all about nutrient status, it seems like half the time they are used just to feel like we have information that we don’t actually have, which would require tissue biopsies. However, based on your symptoms it sounds like you don’t absorb fats well, which could definitely cause your issue. I would try supplementing conservatively and see how your symptoms go and then look into supplementing ox bile or something else to improve your fat digestion.
what if you get 65g fat from grass fed milk? that should provide close to 1g omega 3 and 1g omega 6 right? no need for omega or fish oil supplements with that milkfat?
flax is estrogenic i think it has phytoestrogens. so its likely worse than something like fish oil or sunflower oil in a lot of ways.

artist

what if you get 65g fat from grass fed milk? that should provide close to 1g omega 3 and 1g omega 6 right? no need for omega or fish oil supplements with that milkfat?
flax is estrogenic i think it has phytoestrogens. so its likely worse than something like fish oil or sunflower oil in a lot of ways.
Flax is only particularly estrogenic if you get it with the ligands added back in (I mean, behind the estrogenic effects of PUFA in general). It does seem more efficient to just take fish oil though. I am not a scientist or doctor but based on my own research I would think anyone getting their fats from whole foods like beef fat, milk etc should be fine but there is probably individual variation in terms of how much people need of various nutrients. Esp if you are taking in a ton of calories you might need to titrate up all of your micronutrients. That’s part of how I got myself in trouble-my metabolism (and/or just adrenaline) was moving fast and I was eating a lot of calories and staying thin but the micronutrients were not up to the same level.

Dr. B

Flax is only particularly estrogenic if you get it with the ligands added back in (I mean, behind the estrogenic effects of PUFA in general). It does seem more efficient to just take fish oil though. I am not a scientist or doctor but based on my own research I would think anyone getting their fats from whole foods like beef fat, milk etc should be fine but there is probably individual variation in terms of how much people need of various nutrients. Esp if you are taking in a ton of calories you might need to titrate up all of your micronutrients. That’s part of how I got myself in trouble-my metabolism (and/or just adrenaline) was moving fast and I was eating a lot of calories and staying thin but the micronutrients were not up to the same level.
shouldnt this not be a problem if all your food sources are fruit juice, milk, liver, potatoes, dried fruit honey. is it caffeine, white bread and white sugar that causes that micronutriet deficiency with fast metabolism?

Elie

Forum Supporter
What is the basis for "low" omega three in the blood?
EPA isn't supposed to be present in the body to begin with. it has no necessary function. it is converted to DHA, which, may have inflammation resolution properties, but needed in very small amounts.
I can't imagine there are no other inflammation resolution signals.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals