Cravings: vitamins x minerals

tara

Amazoniac said:
Even though vitamins are essential to health, why - as far as I can tell - we don't crave foods that contain them the same way that we crave minerals?
Example: someone can develop severe scurvy without ever craving an acerola or something.
Do you know of this happening? When someone had access to fruit ect that contained vit-C, were not restricting for some other reason, and didn't feel like eating the fruit? I thought most cases happened when there was scarcity of relevant food? I wonder what it is I'm after when I go for liver? It's hard to isolate in real foods, since they often contain multiple minerals as well as some vitamins.

I don't know, I think some vitamins can be yearned for. Minerals however have a very physical role in the body which is instantly conveyed by most characteristics of the foods that are high in them. Ever wanted something salty but salt did not feel salty in the right way? There's different kinds of saltiness or thirst-quenchiness that only magnesium or potassium can hit.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

When we crave, we probably have the desire to consume the best bang for the buck regarding all nutrients that are missing, but I'm not sure if vitamins are taken in consideration when have those desires.
I think the cravings for liver has more to do with the combination of minerals like Such_ has mentioned..

tara

Amazoniac said:
The other question to this subject that is relevant, and this ties to your questions, tara, is that if we can crave something that we never tried before.
Perhaps scurvy wasn't a good example due to the scarcity..
I think there's a lot to be said for trying and exposing kids to many, many foods, so that our bodies have as much data as possible to go by when they need something - most of it subconscious. I think it's much less likely we'll be able to tell what we need if we've never had it. I crave liver if I go long without it, but if I'd never eaten it, I doubt whether I'd have known that's I wanted. I did not like cucumber as a child, but I got to try it a few times, so I knew what it tasted like, and now I sometimes like it.

Giraffe

Amazoniac said:
Even though vitamins are essential to health, why - as far as I can tell - we don't crave foods that contain them the same way that we crave minerals?
I wonder if it is the vitamins what the body wants when people crave foods like liver and butter.

Liver is rich in many minerals, but there are food choices that taste better, aren't there? Why do most kids love eggs, but not meat? Is it to do with the texture?

Sort of contradicting myself ... Thanks for linking the liver pâté video. I experimented a bit with puréed liver, some outlputs were quite delicious.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Giraffe said:
Amazoniac said:
I wonder if it is the vitamins what the body wants when people crave foods like liver and butter.

Liver is rich in many minerals, but there are food choices that taste better, aren't there? Why do most kids love eggs, but not meat? Is it to do with the texture?

Sort of contradicting myself ... Thanks for linking the liver pâté video. I experimented a bit with puréed liver, some outlputs were quite delicious.

If someone eats a nourishing diet, vitamins are abundant; minerals are harder to get. Maybe this has something to do with our cravings for them.

As far as I can tell, kids adore meats. A parent can correct me here if I'm wrong..

And thank Danny, not me. Haha!

tara

Giraffe said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/93952/ I experimented a bit with puréed liver, some outlputs were quite delicious.
:D

Amazoniac said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/94097/ As far as I can tell, kids adore meats. A parent can correct me here if I'm wrong..
Mine often like meat. One of them used to pinch raw steak off the chopping board when I was preparing for a stir-fry. :) The other one demanded multiple helpings of pureed cooked mutton the first time I offered it to him, at about 6mths old. But some days they ignore the meat and just eat the potatoes and fruit. I think I messed up trying them on liver - I should have waited till I had a perfect batch to offer.
One of them likes eggs often, the other occasionally.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals