Prevent nutrient deficiency from processed sugar consumption

RealNeat

Everything a humans does drains certain nutrients, so this is a not a demonization of sugar but as we know sugar can increase the metabolism and cause an increased demand for nutrients, like thyroid supplementation. A logical but somewhat reductionist approach is to incorporate a non caloric supplement to combat processed sugar intake but how do we know what to take?

I think the simplest answer is to refer to the nutrient breakdown of ripe fruit then divide those nutrients into per gram (or whatever other increment you want to use) of sugar.

For example lets use the fan favorite orange. Even though the ripeness is unknown (if you have nutrient breakdown data for ripe fruit let me know) we can assume that the higher the sugar content the higher the nutrients, gardeners use Brix meters to determine just that.

Navel Orange data from FoodData Central

Using the average data we have;

12g sugar (fiber subtracted)
Minerals:
60.2 mg calcium
.462 mg iron
15 mg magnesium
32.2 mg phosphorus
232 mg potassium
11.2 mg sodium
.154 mg zinc
.09 mg copper
.041 mg Manganese
Vitamins:
82.7 mg Ascorbic Acid
.095 mg Thiamin
.071 mg Riboflavin
.595 mg Niacin
.365 mg Pantothenic Acid
.111 mg B-6
35 mcg Folate

So if we want to use the orange as a template for how much nutrition we need to accompany all the sucrose we consume and we are eating about 200 gs added sugar (just an example) then we would need about (in theory) 17x the amount of nutrients found in one orange. Which would look like this;

Minerals:
1 g calcium
3 mg iron
255 mg magnesium
225 mg phosphorus
4 g potassium
78 mg sodium
7 mg zinc
1.5 mg copper
.7 mg Manganese
Vitamins:
614 mg Ascorbic Acid
16 mg Thiamin
1 mg Riboflavin
10 mg Niacin
6 mg Pantothenic Acid
2 mg B-6
.6 mg Folate

Just some food for thought, could this be the reason for the "dry skin from Peating" testimonials on this forum? Like many suggest, its likely a result of increased metabolism and increased nutrient demands rather than a "EFA deficiency."

PS I know food is more than the sum of its parts, so this is a reductionist way of looking at whole foods however its beneficial to at least partially visualize it. Some may not agree that whole food, even if hybridized, has Divine wisdom in it, but I do, and attempting to mimic it, in situations and places of poor food quality is worth it imo.

Cane sugar comes from Sugar Canes so comparing the nutrient profile of cane per gram of sugar would also be interesting.

DonLore

Why not just eat fruit, potatoes, maybe blacstrap molasses if a sugar source is needed since molasses contain lots of nutrients? White sugar has really no place in a good diet IMO

InChristAlone

That's why we need not demonize vegetables. Eating lots of well cooked soft but not mushy veggies can help support our bodies that even fruit eating can't. A little bit of leafy green broth is just not going to do it. Here are yang veggies to supply the needed nutrients:
Root Vegetables:

Daikon or white radish

Carrots (standard orange carrots only – not the multi-colored ones or the baby carrots)

Shallots

Red onions

White onions

Yellow onions

Sweet onions

Gold pearl onions

Red pearl onions

White pearl onions

Boiler onions

Cipolline onions

Bulb onions

Green onions or scallions

Leeks

Rutabaga

Cruciferous vegetables:

Red cabbage (but not green cabbage)

Savoy cabbage

Brussels sprouts

Broccolette, brocolini or baby broccoli (but not regular broccoli).

White cauliflower

Orange cauliflower

Purple cauliflower

Cauliflower stems and leaves (sliced finely so they cook).

Other. Green beans (or string beans) are a very good daily food, about 1 medium-sized bean per meal.

Each meal also have one three-inch piece of chives, and a half-inch piece of celery (cut it into smaller slices for better cooking.)

Also, with each meal have a dime-sized thin sliver of horseradish root and a very thin sliver of ginger root.

Twice a week have a thin slice of golden beet and two little cloves of garlic per week or have an inch of wild garlic, but not both at the same meal.

Here are more notes about certain vegetables:

Broccolini. This is delicate and cannot be cooked more than about 2.5 minutes in a pressure cooker without becoming overcooked and losing its nutritional value. Ideally, just eat the broccolini flowers and leaves, and discard the stems because they contain less of the chemicals needed for development.

Brussels sprouts. We are not sure why these are so named, as they are not sprouts. They are fully grown vegetables with many healing properties.

If they are available, eat at least one or two medium-sized Brussels sprouts every day.

Cabbage, red and Savoy. These are excellent for development. Adults can have about 1/2 of a leaf of each one (red and Savoy cabbage) every day, at least. It should be soft, when cooked, and not crunchy.

Carrots. Smaller is better (This is generally true of all vegetables. Smaller ones are more yang). Do not buy the peeled, so-called “baby carrots”. In general, carrots and other vegetables that are sold loose are better than those sold in plastic bags.

For cooking, slice carrots into pieces that are about ¼ to ½ inch or 1 cm long. If the carrot is thicker than about 1 inch or 2 cm, slice the carrot longitudinally or the long way, as well. This way it will cook in a steamer or pressure cooker at the same rate as the other vegetables. Have carrots at least once a day and preferably some with each meal.

Cauliflower. Think of cauliflower as two vegetables: 1) the cauliflower, and 2) the stems and leaves that are around the cauliflower. Both contain the chemicals needed for development. The stems must be sliced thin or they won’t cook through.

The best types of cauliflower are the orange and the purple cauliflower, even if they are not organically grown. Next best is white cauliflower and this is fine if it is all you can find.

Green cauliflower is not recommended. Have some cauliflower every day and ideally a little with every meal.

Daikon or white radish or purple radish. Have a little daikon preferably with each meal, or at least once a day. Don’t substitute the common red radish for the white or purple daikon radish.

Garlic and ginger. Garlic cooks quickly and should not be cut up. Ginger cooks slowly and needs to be sliced very thin and cut up some more in order to cook correctly. Eat these only about twice a week, and only a very small amount.

Golden beets. These are helpful for development, but only a little is needed – about 1 thin slice of a medium-sized golden beet twice a week. Avoid red beets, which do not contain the chemicals for development.

Green beans, also called string beans. This is an excellent vegetable to speed up development. Have a few green beans every day.

If possible, buy them loose and not in a plastic bag. The bagged ones seem to be affected by the plastic in the bag.

Cut them into about 1-inch pieces or 2 centimeter pieces. This is about right so they will cook at the same rate as the other vegetables. When cooked properly, they should be soft, not crunchy.

Green onions or scallions. This is an excellent vegetable for development. Have some daily.

Leeks. This is an excellent vegetable for development. Have some every day. Eat the whole leek – both leaves and stem.

Leeks often contain some dirt where the stem becomes the leaf. This is unavoidable and you may have to wash this part when you cut a section of it to eat.

Onions. Onions are very important for development. They contain a number of chemical compounds that speed development. Without them, development proceeds slowly. Please eat them all, if you can find them. We suggest eating a little of three or more types of onions with each meal.

To extract all the minerals and other chemicals from onions, they must be cooked until soft. Small chunks cook well in 3 minutes or a little less in a pressure cooker or about half an hour or less in a steamer.

Rutabaga. Slice rutabaga thin so it will cook through. When cooked correctly, it is sweet and delicious. When not thoroughly cooked, it is has a somewhat unpleasant taste so you will know to cook it more or slice it thinner. It is very helpful for development, so eat some every day if you can find it in your area.

Perry Staltic

Glucose competes with vitamin C absorption, so too much glucose can can have a negative impact on that nutrient

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Why not just eat fruit, potatoes, maybe blacstrap molasses if a sugar source is needed since molasses contain lots of nutrients? White sugar has really no place in a good diet IMO
PS I know food is more than the sum of its parts, so this is a reductionist way of looking at whole foods however its beneficial to at least partially visualize it. Some may not agree that whole food, even if hybridized, has Divine wisdom in it, but I do, and attempting to mimic it, in situations and places of poor food quality is worth it imo.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

That's why we need not demonize vegetables. Eating lots of well cooked soft but not mushy veggies can help support our bodies that even fruit eating can't. A little bit of leafy green broth is just not going to do it. Here are yang veggies to supply the needed nutrients:
Root Vegetables:

Daikon or white radish

Carrots (standard orange carrots only – not the multi-colored ones or the baby carrots)

Shallots

Red onions

White onions

Yellow onions

Sweet onions

Gold pearl onions

Red pearl onions

White pearl onions

Boiler onions

Cipolline onions

Bulb onions

Green onions or scallions

Leeks

Rutabaga

Cruciferous vegetables:

Red cabbage (but not green cabbage)

Savoy cabbage

Brussels sprouts

Broccolette, brocolini or baby broccoli (but not regular broccoli).

White cauliflower

Orange cauliflower

Purple cauliflower

Cauliflower stems and leaves (sliced finely so they cook).

Other. Green beans (or string beans) are a very good daily food, about 1 medium-sized bean per meal.

Each meal also have one three-inch piece of chives, and a half-inch piece of celery (cut it into smaller slices for better cooking.)

Also, with each meal have a dime-sized thin sliver of horseradish root and a very thin sliver of ginger root.

Twice a week have a thin slice of golden beet and two little cloves of garlic per week or have an inch of wild garlic, but not both at the same meal.

Here are more notes about certain vegetables:

Broccolini. This is delicate and cannot be cooked more than about 2.5 minutes in a pressure cooker without becoming overcooked and losing its nutritional value. Ideally, just eat the broccolini flowers and leaves, and discard the stems because they contain less of the chemicals needed for development.

Brussels sprouts. We are not sure why these are so named, as they are not sprouts. They are fully grown vegetables with many healing properties.

If they are available, eat at least one or two medium-sized Brussels sprouts every day.

Cabbage, red and Savoy. These are excellent for development. Adults can have about 1/2 of a leaf of each one (red and Savoy cabbage) every day, at least. It should be soft, when cooked, and not crunchy.

Carrots. Smaller is better (This is generally true of all vegetables. Smaller ones are more yang). Do not buy the peeled, so-called “baby carrots”. In general, carrots and other vegetables that are sold loose are better than those sold in plastic bags.

For cooking, slice carrots into pieces that are about ¼ to ½ inch or 1 cm long. If the carrot is thicker than about 1 inch or 2 cm, slice the carrot longitudinally or the long way, as well. This way it will cook in a steamer or pressure cooker at the same rate as the other vegetables. Have carrots at least once a day and preferably some with each meal.

Cauliflower. Think of cauliflower as two vegetables: 1) the cauliflower, and 2) the stems and leaves that are around the cauliflower. Both contain the chemicals needed for development. The stems must be sliced thin or they won’t cook through.

The best types of cauliflower are the orange and the purple cauliflower, even if they are not organically grown. Next best is white cauliflower and this is fine if it is all you can find.

Green cauliflower is not recommended. Have some cauliflower every day and ideally a little with every meal.

Daikon or white radish or purple radish. Have a little daikon preferably with each meal, or at least once a day. Don’t substitute the common red radish for the white or purple daikon radish.

Garlic and ginger. Garlic cooks quickly and should not be cut up. Ginger cooks slowly and needs to be sliced very thin and cut up some more in order to cook correctly. Eat these only about twice a week, and only a very small amount.

Golden beets. These are helpful for development, but only a little is needed – about 1 thin slice of a medium-sized golden beet twice a week. Avoid red beets, which do not contain the chemicals for development.

Green beans, also called string beans. This is an excellent vegetable to speed up development. Have a few green beans every day.

If possible, buy them loose and not in a plastic bag. The bagged ones seem to be affected by the plastic in the bag.

Cut them into about 1-inch pieces or 2 centimeter pieces. This is about right so they will cook at the same rate as the other vegetables. When cooked properly, they should be soft, not crunchy.

Green onions or scallions. This is an excellent vegetable for development. Have some daily.

Leeks. This is an excellent vegetable for development. Have some every day. Eat the whole leek – both leaves and stem.

Leeks often contain some dirt where the stem becomes the leaf. This is unavoidable and you may have to wash this part when you cut a section of it to eat.

Onions. Onions are very important for development. They contain a number of chemical compounds that speed development. Without them, development proceeds slowly. Please eat them all, if you can find them. We suggest eating a little of three or more types of onions with each meal.

To extract all the minerals and other chemicals from onions, they must be cooked until soft. Small chunks cook well in 3 minutes or a little less in a pressure cooker or about half an hour or less in a steamer.

Rutabaga. Slice rutabaga thin so it will cook through. When cooked correctly, it is sweet and delicious. When not thoroughly cooked, it is has a somewhat unpleasant taste so you will know to cook it more or slice it thinner. It is very helpful for development, so eat some every day if you can find it in your area.
Good stuff I agree, the issue I have with vegetables is that though they can be relatively low calorie they take up a lot of space in the body which makes eating enough veggies or other foods much harder. For losing weight it may be ok but there may still be a need to supplement in a diet that includes larger amounts of processed sugar, especially if we consider vegetable nutrient destruction from cooking and bioavailability issues.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Glucose competes with vitamin C absorption, so too much glucose can can have a negative impact on that nutrient
Still trying to figure out if my vitamin C intake is low or high considering the effects of oxidized C, dehydroascorbic acid, found in animal products.

InChristAlone

Good stuff I agree, the issue I have with vegetables is that though they can be relatively low calorie they take up a lot of space in the body which makes eating enough veggies or other foods much harder. For losing weight it may be ok but there may still be a need to supplement in a diet that includes larger amounts of processed sugar, especially if we consider vegetable nutrient destruction from cooking and bioavailability issues.
I've been eating cooked veggies for the first time in 10 yrs and I find pressure cooked veggies to be very easily digested and assimilated and don't take up much room. I pressure cook onions, cabbage, brussel sprouts, green onions, garlic, carrots, and green beans all chopped up for 2.5 minutes. Very easy. My kids are even eating them after yrs of a high sugar diet.

That's in contrast to the many ways I tried getting nutrients in my body like vitamin and mineral supplements which always seem to just cause imbalances. I resisted adding in veggies for so many yrs and it was a mistake. I have a mouth full of cavities to show for it!

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

I've been eating cooked veggies for the first time in 10 yrs and I find pressure cooked veggies to be very easily digested and assimilated and don't take up much room. I pressure cook onions, cabbage, brussel sprouts, green onions, garlic, carrots, and green beans all chopped up for 2.5 minutes. Very easy. My kids are even eating them after yrs of a high sugar diet.

That's in contrast to the many ways I tried getting nutrients in my body like vitamin and mineral supplements which always seem to just cause imbalances. I resisted adding in veggies for so many yrs and it was a mistake. I have a mouth full of cavities to show for it!
Do you put any water in the pressure cooker or just the veggies?
Cavities are part of the reason I made this thread, too many people force feed themselves unripe super acidic fruits and juices, destroying their teeth. I havent found a single citrus juice up north that isnt an acid bath. I could drink OJ with no oral or digestive discomfort in Spain, sweet, ripe, deep orange color and non acidic. Nothing like in the states.

Don't beat yourself up, there are people on the other end of the spectrum who over did veggies and even whole fruit, got deficiencies. toxicity and holes in their gut (IBS, leaky gut), I was one of them, both raw and cooked vegan did these to me.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

Cavities are part of the reason I made this thread, too many people force feed themselves unripe super acidic fruits and juices, destroying their teeth. I havent found a single citrus juice up north that isnt an acid bath. I could drink OJ with no oral or digestive discomfort in Spain, sweet, ripe, deep orange color and non acidic. Nothing like in the states.

Dont beat yourself up, there are people on the other end of the spectrum who over did veggies, got deficiencies. toxicity and holes in their gut (IBS, leaky gut), I was one of them, both raw and cooked vegan did these to me.
You have to add 1 cup of water to the pressure cooker. The instant pot isn't recommended.

Yeah I was reminded how badly I screwed up my teeth today when I bit down and got shooting pain.
Yeah veganism isn't healthy at all. We need meats as well as veggies.

There is some evidence nightshades can cause leaky gut as well.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

You have to add 1 cup of water to the pressure cooker. The instant pot isn't recommended.

Yeah I was reminded how badly I screwed up my teeth today when I bit down and got shooting pain.
Yeah veganism isn't healthy at all. We need meats as well as veggies.

There is some evidence nightshades can cause leaky gut as well.
All I have is a instapot, why is it not sufficient? I believe it has a few pressure settings (low,med,high)

InChristAlone

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Dr Wilson says at the top of the page the instant pot seems to be ruining the food: Food For Daily Use - A Diet For Rapid Development
Interesting, I'm all for certain aspects of TCM but that all seems very dogmatic. Its possible the instapot comes up to temp too quick as its essentially a kettle with a special lid and armor. Im going to try the 2 minute cooked veggies on various pressure settings and see how it goes.

InChristAlone

Interesting, I'm all for certain aspects of TCM but that all seems very dogmatic. Its possible the instapot comes up to temp too quick as its essentially a kettle with a special lid and armor. Im going to try the 2 minute cooked veggies on various pressure settings and see how it goes.
Dr Wilson isn't just TCM, he calls some of it macrobiotics, but it's based on what cools and warms the body what builds and repairs the body. He is not anti carbs per se but he has seen how sweets can dump minerals in the hair. And also that fruits are more cooling and most people are already too cold/yin. His mineral analysis is based on the what Hans Selye found on the stages of stress. It was definitely true for me. Yrs ago on the main Peat diet of milk and OJ and sugar (to calm the high adrenaline) I was dumping calcium and magnesium in my hair like crazy. This is the consequence of burnout and sugar or fruit will not fully repair this condition as it lacks the necessary minerals for repair. I started healing when I incorporated more starch less sugar and more cheese. But my metabolism just got worse and worse as the yrs went on as I was still drinking a lot of juice. The only things that really helped were 'comfort foods', stimulants so I didn't feel like a zombie, red light therapy and using antihistamines because everyone in burnout has allergies. Anyway not to go on and on, but Dr Wilson seems to understand all this.

I'm.No.One

I'm a die hard pressure canner, like I've canned a whole cow in jar size increments in the type of pressure cooker I had to show ID/proof of residency to buy so they didn't think I was making a bomb 😅

Anyhow, I own 4 instant pots (multiple sizes) & the large one takes the same amount of time to off gass(blow stem/air) out & seal as my normal size pressure cooker.

There is literally no difference, it's just pressure build up.

It would even be hard to say the gasket is an issue unless he owns all american cookers which are kinda gasketless.

Regardless, that is an odd thing to say that the easier/arguably safer for beginners option is bad.

InChristAlone

I'm a die hard pressure canner, like I've canned a whole cow in jar size increments in the type of pressure cooker I had to show ID/proof of residency to buy so they didn't think I was making a bomb 😅

Anyhow, I own 4 instant pots (multiple sizes) & the large one takes the same amount of time to off gass(blow stem/air) out & seal as my normal size pressure cooker.

There is literally no difference, it's just pressure build up.

It would even be hard to say the gasket is an issue unless he owns all american cookers which are kinda gasketless.

Regardless, that is an odd thing to say that the easier/arguably safer for beginners option is bad.
It may be like he said not having the ability to regulate the pressure. If yours does great!

MarcelZD

Don't beat yourself up, there are people on the other end of the spectrum who over did veggies and even whole fruit, got deficiencies. toxicity and holes in their gut (IBS, leaky gut), I was one of them, both raw and cooked vegan did these to me.

Have you found any good alternatives? I have the same issue here in northern Europe - the orange juice available to me is just terrible, and apart from the enamel degradation it causes I also don't enjoy it at all. Currently I am eating cooked apple sauce and bananas, which are far from optimal but better than the nasty juice.

Cooked vegetables as suggested by @sugarbabe could work too, perhaps with some rice.

yerrag

Everything a humans does drains certain nutrients, so this is a not a demonization of sugar but as we know sugar can increase the metabolism and cause an increased demand for nutrients, like thyroid supplementation. A logical but somewhat reductionist approach is to incorporate a non caloric supplement to combat processed sugar intake but how do we know what to take?

I think the simplest answer is to refer to the nutrient breakdown of ripe fruit then divide those nutrients into per gram (or whatever other increment you want to use) of sugar.

For example lets use the fan favorite orange. Even though the ripeness is unknown (if you have nutrient breakdown data for ripe fruit let me know) we can assume that the higher the sugar content the higher the nutrients, gardeners use Brix meters to determine just that.

Navel Orange data from FoodData Central

Using the average data we have;

12g sugar (fiber subtracted)
Minerals:
60.2 mg calcium
.462 mg iron
15 mg magnesium
32.2 mg phosphorus
232 mg potassium
11.2 mg sodium
.154 mg zinc
.09 mg copper
.041 mg Manganese
Vitamins:
82.7 mg Ascorbic Acid
.095 mg Thiamin
.071 mg Riboflavin
.595 mg Niacin
.365 mg Pantothenic Acid
.111 mg B-6
35 mcg Folate

So if we want to use the orange as a template for how much nutrition we need to accompany all the sucrose we consume and we are eating about 200 gs added sugar (just an example) then we would need about (in theory) 17x the amount of nutrients found in one orange. Which would look like this;

Minerals:
1 g calcium
3 mg iron
255 mg magnesium
225 mg phosphorus
4 g potassium
78 mg sodium
7 mg zinc
1.5 mg copper
.7 mg Manganese
Vitamins:
614 mg Ascorbic Acid
16 mg Thiamin
1 mg Riboflavin
10 mg Niacin
6 mg Pantothenic Acid
2 mg B-6
.6 mg Folate

Just some food for thought, could this be the reason for the "dry skin from Peating" testimonials on this forum? Like many suggest, its likely a result of increased metabolism and increased nutrient demands rather than a "EFA deficiency."

Cane sugar comes from Sugar Canes so comparing the nutrient profile of cane per gram of sugar would also be interesting.
With more sugar, as long as it is being metabolized well, the demands on magnesium, and vitamin A, as well as vitamin D will be increased.

Knowing how most of the supplement makers (most likely encouraged by the Talmudist FDA) consider beta-carotene to be the functional equivalent of retinol, the real vitamin A, many people would be gobbling up supplements thinking they are sufficient in vitamin A while being deficient. This easily leads to skin being dry.

It doesn't help that miseducation from K-12 and further, reinforces the vegetarian form of A - beta-carotene over the unfamiliar retinol. To the point that retinol is identified with solving zits once a child starts to come of age.

I'm.No.One

It may be like he said not having the ability to regulate the pressure. If yours does great!
Most instant pots have the capacity to regulate their pressure, that's what the high/medium/low settings are for.

Most people don't know that 15psi is basically what all pressure cooking for eating (not canning) is done at.

The instant pots max setting is 15psi & unless you're cooking eggs or something super delicate you'd be using the normal 15psi.

In other words if his argument is that you can't regulate the pressure it's based off of his obvious lack of knowledge about pressure cooking ranges because anything higher than 15ish psi while cooking food (again, different than canning it) would literally turn it into a pile of inedible mush.

InChristAlone

Most instant pots have the capacity to regulate their pressure, that's what the high/medium/low settings are for.

Most people don't know that 15psi is basically what all pressure cooking for eating (not canning) is done at.

The instant pots max setting is 15psi & unless you're cooking eggs or something super delicate you'd be using the normal 15psi.

In other words if his argument is that you can't regulate the pressure it's based off of his obvious lack of knowledge about pressure cooking ranges because anything higher than 15ish psi while cooking food (again, different than canning it) would literally turn it into a pile of inedible mush.
Thanks for the clarification, I have a stove top pressure cooker so I am unfamiliar with the electric ones.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals