Cravings For Cigarettes: Why?

Frankdee20

I was hoping smoking would be a good thing as I seem to enjoy the feeling it gives me. Someone tell me it is? Or give me something to take its place?

I enjoy it to an extent, then I think the surplus is unnecessary. Like I love it with the first coffee, or the first drink of alcohol. I’m noticing lately, after job interviews, I crave and enjoy it too. Perhaps that’s an example of using it after some stress sets in. Other than that, after food is cool. But during the day, I am not doing much, and there’s no reason I smoke other than habit. It’s not craved, it’s just ritualistic. I’m at 6-10 a day maybe. It should be less, I think a little bit has merit. If I’m hungry or starving, then it’s like coffee, and I get a stress response, not enjoyable. If I’m on a long drive, it’s enjoyable. Idk.

cyclops

I enjoy it to an extent, then I think the surplus is unnecessary. Like I love it with the first coffee, or the first drink of alcohol. I’m noticing lately, after job interviews, I crave and enjoy it too. Perhaps that’s an example of using it after some stress sets in. Other than that, after food is cool. But during the day, I am not doing much, and there’s no reason I smoke other than habit. It’s not craved, it’s just ritualistic. I’m at 6-10 a day maybe. It should be less, I think a little bit has merit. If I’m hungry or starving, then it’s like coffee, and I get a stress response, not enjoyable. If I’m on a long drive, it’s enjoyable. Idk.

Right now I actually only do one or two a day, but I can see how it could turn into more. If I drink its only one or two, same with coffee not too much. I'd like to add a couple cigarettes in because I enjoy it, but I hear its pretty bad for you.

One thing Peat opened me up to, is that all the things I used to think were really bad for me aren't. Like you can actually like your food and are supposed to. So now when I enjoy something that people say is bad, I question why its not good for me.

Frankdee20

Right now I actually only do one or two a day, but I can see how it could turn into more. If I drink its only one or two, same with coffee not too much. I'd like to add a couple cigarettes in because I enjoy it, but I hear its pretty bad for you.

One thing Peat opened me up to, is that all the things I used to think were really bad for me aren't. Like you can actually like your food and are supposed to. So now when I enjoy something that people say is bad, I question why its not good for me.

Honestly, I think one or two cigarettes daily have benefits that likely outweigh the hazards. There’s pro DHT effects, anti estrogen effects, and evidence exists that smoking halts Alzheimer’s. I can’t say if that’s only isolated nicotine or the plant. Again, it’s tough to keep the amount down unless I use gum and smoke. That’s overkill though. keeping that intake consistently low is one of the toughest things to accomplish. I do think though, the organism seems to have a general amount daily that it prefers to consume.

cyclops

Honestly, I think one or two cigarettes daily have benefits that likely outweigh the hazards. There’s pro DHT effects, anti estrogen effects, and evidence exists that smoking halts Alzheimer’s. I can’t say if that’s only isolated nicotine or the plant. Again, it’s tough to keep the amount down unless I use gum and smoke. That’s overkill though. keeping that intake consistently low is one of the toughest things to accomplish. I do think though, the organism seems to have a general amount daily that it prefers to consume.

Good, so it's settled then. One or two cigarettes a day (the amount I enjoy) is very good for you. I feel bad for those not smoking.

Travis

I was hoping smoking would be a good thing as I seem to enjoy the feeling it gives me. Someone tell me it is? Or give me something to take its place?
It seems good for the brain, but perhaps bad for the lungs. You might have to decide how to interpret this.

Do you enjoy reading? or running marathons?

Nicotine and acetylcholine both both increase reaction time and word recall, while the classic inhibitors (i.e. mecamylamine) do the opposite.

Lung cancer used to be quite rare, and it's increase has been explained by many things. Perhaps the one with the most logical mechanism is the use of inorganic fertilizers, where natural radioactive elements are taken-up by the leaf.

But even organic tobacco can produce carcinogens such as benzene, so it would probably take quite a bit of work to ascertain just how carcinogenic organic tobacco really is. Obviously, it's not extremely carcinogenic since many people smoke cigarettes—even the crappy adulterated ones—for decades without noticing much change. The lungs have of the fastest growing cell types, so they should be most sensitive (and also a high turnover).

The automobile and oil industries are more powerful than the tobacco industries, and more allied with government. I don't think you'd ever see a fair analysis of all of the factors which contribute to lung cancer in America. Everything is pinned on tobacco in the popular media and textbooks—even with non-smokers. If occasional exposure to second-hand smoke can be blamed; then diesel exhaust, nuclear accidents, and pesticide fumigation get off the hook.

There has never been an epidemiological with just organic tobacco smokers, so nobody can say for sure. Perhaps there has been studies in other countries, with subjects smoking non-radioactive and pesticide-free tobacco? Perhaps Japanese, or Indonesian studies?

Most of the combustion products from the tobacco leaf are shared with the combustion products of other plants, including cannabis. The difference in their response lies in the molecules vaporized, and not burnt.

Last edited:

Frankdee20

Good, so it's settled then. One or two cigarettes a day (the amount I enjoy) is very good for you. I feel bad for those not smoking.

I envy you, lol, I sincerely hope you keep that level. The only other thing that helps me keep cigarettes down is cigar intake. The nicotine absorbed through the mouth is noticed too. That’s expensive though.

kayumochi

I was a casual smoker for many years beginning as a teenager. No one, ever, guessed I was an addict: was never the type of smoker who started and ended the day with a cigarette, never kept them on hand, never bought an entire carton, never was spotted having a smoke ... but I was a cigarette/nicotine addict. After quitting 10,000 times I did Smokenders then avoided all bars and drinking for two years (was living in Japan where the drinking/smoking culture is still entrenched) and haven't had a smoke in almost 20 years. It's an awful, awful addiction, one that I still regret.

cyclops

%D7%94%D7%A1%D7%99%D7%92%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%94+%D7%94%D7%92%D7%93%D7%95%D7%9C%D7%94+%D7%91%D7%A2%D7%95%D7%9C%D7%9D.jpg

Its easy. Just two like this a day.

Frankdee20

I was a casual smoker for many years beginning as a teenager. No one, ever, guessed I was an addict: was never the type of smoker who started and ended the day with a cigarette, never kept them on hand, never bought an entire carton, never was spotted having a smoke ... but I was a cigarette/nicotine addict. After quitting 10,000 times I did Smokenders then avoided all bars and drinking for two years (was living in Japan where the drinking/smoking culture is still entrenched) and haven't had a smoke in almost 20 years. It's an awful, awful addiction, one that I still regret.

+1 yes it is

Frankdee20

Cyclops, I shouldn’t condone the tobacco. One is too many, and a thousand is never enough, as they say about addiction. I only began using about 2 years ago, after 17 smoke free years. Maybe I’ll try Wellbutrin to stop.

Frankdee20

Cannabis. Truly God's Gift to Mankind. And I never developed an addiction to it, unlike tobacco.
Yeah well the effect of nicotine is short lived, unlike marijuana. So cigarettes are more addictive than pot.

cyclops

Man, I really seem to have gotten myself addicted to cigs. I still have a hard time believing a few a day is that bad for me. I mean, why would my body be craving something that is bad for me? I'm pretty healthy otherwise.

Frankdee20

Man, I really seem to have gotten myself addicted to cigs. I still have a hard time believing a few a day is that bad for me. I mean, why would my body be craving something that is bad for me? I'm pretty healthy otherwise.

Well, to answer that last part, why would a heroin addict’s body crave opiates ? I mean, nicotine is both physiologically and mentally addicting. You can always do the lozenge, or gum if your cigarette intake concerns you. I know little about E Cigs, so can’t say anything about that. I will tell you, there must be other alkaloids in the whole Tobacco plant that make it very different than using isolated nicotine. On top of that, as a route of administration for psychoactive drugs, smoking can only be matched by IV route. They’re the most addicting methods of consuming substances. Fortunately, nicotine has great bio availability via the mouth, transdermally. Cheeks, gum tissues, under the tongue, etc, even the nicotine patch. I’m
Currently smoking Camel Turkish Silver filters, excellent full flavor product. About 9 a day, but soon I will utilize the lozenge to cut back.

cyclops

Well, to answer that last part, why would a heroin addict’s body crave opiates ? I mean, nicotine is both physiologically and mentally addicting. You can always do the lozenge, or gum if your cigarette intake concerns you. I know little about E Cigs, so can’t say anything about that. I will tell you, there must be other alkaloids in the whole Tobacco plant that make it very different than using isolated nicotine. On top of that, as a route of administration for psychoactive drugs, smoking can only be matched by IV route. They’re the most addicting methods of consuming substances. Fortunately, nicotine has great bio availability via the mouth, transdermally. Cheeks, gum tissues, under the tongue, etc, even the nicotine patch. I’m
Currently smoking Camel Turkish Silver filters, excellent full flavor product. About 9 a day, but soon I will utilize the lozenge to cut back.

Do you think it be fair to say that Tobacco may or may not have benefits and can be consumed in many ways, but that smoking an substance is always bad? So I may be benefiting from the consumption of Tobacco, but I should maybe make a tea out of it or something. I smoke 100% tobacco cigs by the way.

Also do we know that all forms of opiates, even natural, are 100% bad?

FredSonoma

You're welcome. I think hypoxia is the main culprit when smoking anything really since carbon monoxide displaces oxygen (generally speaking). I wish it wasn't so. :cry: I'm sure that's why nicotine replacement(patch, e-cig) is better than smoking. Now I need to quit nicotine replacement. :roll:
What do you think is the most enjoyable form of replacement?

I smoke 1 cigarette a day currently

Frankdee20

Do you think it be fair to say that Tobacco may or may not have benefits and can be consumed in many ways, but that smoking an substance is always bad? So I may be benefiting from the consumption of Tobacco, but I should maybe make a tea out of it or something. I smoke 100% tobacco cigs by the way.

Also do we know that all forms of opiates, even natural, are 100% bad?

This last part is a good question. I have read countless times that aside from the addictive nature of Morphine and Heroin, most of the ravages of using these drugs come from their illicit natures, and unsafe needle practices. The opiates themselves (Opium poppy, Codeine, Morphine, heroin) yield few chronic issues that can be considered degradation. Constipation, respitory depression, and hormonal disruptions (women’s menses seem to stop) and sleepiness are the primary effects. Withdrawal from these substances is not life threatening, unlike alcohol or benzodiazepines or barbiturates. The effects on the heart are no where near as toxic as the benzoylcognine cocaine metabolites.

Regardless, they are powerfully addictive. So if we are talking strictly health stuff, then it’s not completely unsafe. Quality of life dimishment, and remaining in a constant endorphin bubble, that’s up to you to judge.

Frankdee20

I forgot to mention the problem with smoking any substance, the introduction of combustion is a powerful catalyst that changes the quantity and structure of compounds present. It’s a high energy chemical reaction. We don’t know what ends up in the lungs, but if you’re smoking 3 cigarettes a day, then god bless you. I wouldn’t lose sleep

D

Deleted member 5487

Never understood how people push past 5 a day, I just can't. If I'm sober one at 11, one at 4 one at 8. Done. Now if I am drinking I'll crush a pack with a friend or two in a few hours.

I mainly dip 2-3 times a day during the week, then smoke on the weekends. Dip is not even remotely the same, nor does it provide the benefits of smoking. Find it to be quite stress inducing in relation to smoking.

It is finals week and I was terribly stressed and felt poor the whole day, I smoke about 4 in two hours with my roommate. WOW, what a difference in cognition and overall mood. Looking forward to nursing them all day tomorrow while I study.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals